All Topics / Finance / Offset account

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of clareowclareow
    Participant
    @clareow

Hi everyone

Was hoping someone can assist. I am a first home buyer looking to purchase a property.
    I was wondering how much of a difference an offset account makes in mortgage repayments.

I was thinking of ANZ originally as a lender and they offer an offset account.
    I have seen online accounts with OneDirect that interest rates are a lot cheaper but no offset.

What would be the benefit of choosing ANZ with an offset account but at a higher interest rate.
    I am not overly concerned of the customer service side of things in terms of not being able to go into a branch, more just the financials.

If someone could help that would be appreciated.

Thank you

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

It would depend on how much money you are going to have sitting around. If you have a bit then you could tax interest on the offset. You could save the same amount of interest by putting the money into the loan and using redraw later – but you will run into large tax issues down the track – so you need to work out how much interest you would save vs how much extra tax and problems you would create.

I would also recommend IO loans too.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of ibis69ibis69
    @ibis69

Terryw,
                      I dont think that's Quite the answer Clareow,was after you have gone off on a tangent ,I think they were more interested in how their  pay packets can reduce there mortgage or how can they use this offset account to reduce there mortgage???  etc etc   I could be wrong but that is how I read this…..

Profile photo of v8ghiav8ghia
    @v8ghia

Hi Clareow – welcome to the forum.
    As Terry has mentioned, it all depends on how much money you have 'sitting around' as to how an offset account may work for you.

I assume when you say you have seen 'One direct on line accounts' you are talking about the actual homeloan, and not their savings accounts? (unrelated)

The easiest way to work out if an offset account will work for you is by understanding how it works.

You have a savings account, that is associated with your homeloan, so that the daily balance of your savings (the offset) account,  offsets the days balance on your homeloan, effectively reducing the interest you are charged, and more of your payment goes towards the principal of the homeloan that way.
    The negative, is tha most lenders only offer true offset accounts on their
    standard' loans, which unless included as part of an annual package arrangement, to get a disocunted interest rate also, will be at a higher interest rate than a basic loan, such as the one you mentioned.
    If you pay all your income into your offset savings account, and then pretty much empty it as soon as it goes in, it will not work for you at all.

An example to help, would be lets say you 'average' a daily balance over a calender month of $2000 in your account (many folks liekly will not average this either……)

aasume your loan is 6.7% interest, calculated daily, the offset account homeloan will save you $2.50 per week in interest….

Lets say your loan was for $200k – if you had it as part of a cheaper interest rate loan, at say 6%, with no offset account, you would save almost $27.00 per week in interest. So in this case, the cheaper loan is far superior for you.

OBviously it works out differently if you had a higher account balance, and the interest rates were 'closer', but hopefully that gives you an idea.

If you had $50k lying around in your offset account, it is the same efect exactly as if it was 'in' the loan, but obviously has the tax benefits already mentioned above, and allows for greater flexibility if your circumstances change.

where an offset account is perfect, if your interest rates are similar with or without, is that you would  have all income staying in your offset savings account for as long as possible, live off a credit card for the interest free period, and then pay it off in full each month from your offset account, and then start the cycle again – this will save you interest over the life of your loan, and thus shorten the loan term on a principale and interest homeloan..

While I think of it, I notice a few lenders on their websites or blurb (non bank/non deposit taking lenders) talk about their loans having 'loan offset' – but this is very misleading – all they mean is you can 'offset' your interest by putting more money into your homeloan – doh – genuises! Dont be confused with that…..

all the best with your new home.

Cheers

Profile photo of clareowclareow
    Participant
    @clareow

Hi

thanks for the replies…

We are looking at a loan of around 480,000. Around 10,000 will sit in the offset account monthly.

Would it be better to go for One direct with no offset at around 6.15%
    or ANZ with an offset for 6.95%

Thanks for any help, I am useless with the maths. Thanks!!

Profile photo of elkamelkam
    @elkam

Hello claireow

Using your information in the above post, the maths is not hard.
    Basically, assuming IO loan to make life easier for the calculation.

$480,000 X 6.15%  = $29,520 interest per year

( $480,000 – $10,000 (in offset account))  X 6.95% = $32,665 interest per year

Seems like a no brainer if your intention is only to buy one house to live in.
    If not there may be other things to consider.

Cheers
    Elka

Profile photo of wuzziemoowuzziemoo
    @wuzziemoo

You can get the ANZ breakfree package. You get the 0.7% off and you get the offset account as well. It costs $340 a year but you make that back in savings.

Cheers

Kane

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

But the question is do you have the 15 working days or so to spare whilst Anz have a look at your application.

Personally wouldnt touch either lender at the moment as the customer service levels (and they are not alone) are absolutely shocking.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Participant
    @clareow

Thanks all for the comments
    A bit to think about

Richard who would you recommend as a lender if not ANZ or onedirect?

Participant
    @qlds007

Clare

Would need to now more about the whole deal first and your specific requirements and needs before recommending someone.

Participant
    @clareow

We are a couple, no kids.
    Income of around 130K combined
    No other debts
    Am looking to purchase a property of between 500-560 with a deposit of 70K max.
    This isnt for an investment property, we are planning to live in the house for now
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Participant
    @qlds007

At that LVR on loan amount I would be looking more at the Mortgage Insurance premium each lender will charge rather than whether you will save a 0.01% here or there.

Over $500K the premium rates will start to climb with some lenders (depending on which one of the insurers they use) and could vary between 1.97% and 2.57% (just checked 2 lenders scales at $500K and 90% LVR) of the loan amount whilst other lenders may not charge LMI and charge a risk fee which may reflect a cheaper overall price.

Profile photo of CentralChoiceCentralChoice
    Participant
    @centralchoice

Hey Clareow,

You will be up for some pretty hefty mortgage insurance (upwards of $10k) on that size of the loan. But there's no reason why you can't get the best of both worlds – it seems what you need is a lender who will provide you with cheaper mortgage insurance, an offset account and will still offer you a low interest rate.

Alternatively, some lenders will allow you to directly credit your salary into your loan and give you the ability to freely redraw upon that if and when you need it, which sort of acts as a quasi-offset, but then there are serious tax issues that would need to be considered in doing this if you decide to only live in it for a while.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.