All Topics / Help Needed! / Capital Growth Or Cashflow, OR Combo??

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of Dan WaringDan Waring
    @dan-waring

Hi all, just a general question of interest…

Haven't started investing as yet, but have been to A seminar where the focus was on Capital Growth rather than Cashflow as its the capital that allows you to borrow more to finance new loans (buy/hold).

Can i get some opinions on whether to Buy/hold allowing me to buy 1 or so properties per 2 yrs

OR

Buy cheaper older houses with lower depreciation benefits and have better Cashflow

Opinions?

Thanks

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Cashflow is good and it helps you to borrow more and buy more properties, but the purpose of investing is to get rich, not to get as many properties as possible. Making $40 pw in net cashflow per property will not make you rich, but if you are able to buy high growth property you should be able to make more than $40pw.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of CentralChoiceCentralChoice
    Participant
    @centralchoice

Purchasing for growth will be the key.

That being said, if you are smart enough and have a keen enough eye, you will buy something cheap, make some improvements to increase cashflow and experience growth at the same time.

Despite the fact that cashflow will allow you to borrow more, the majority of my clients find that their borrowing power is limited more by the amount of equity that they have rather than their cashflow.

Profile photo of fatboy1730fatboy1730
    @fatboy1730

We buy cheap (currently under $200k) properties and subdivide them doing up the existing house and building on the back. We’ve followed a deliberate policy of going for cashflow. we get our capital kick from the subdivisions. We started with next to nothing in our 40’s and made a virtue of necessity. In our longer term plan we KNOW that we will have to make the change and go for capital growth. Meantime our cashflow from property allows us to reach that goal. If you can, buy for growth in capital. Eventually the cashflow comes if you buy well. Banks look at both cashflow and equity. They need to be sure of your ability to service and their being able to get their money back in a forced sale if the worst happens.

Profile photo of Dan WaringDan Waring
    @dan-waring

They're All good answers, thank you…

So.. heres a question… (answers will obviously vary due to different opinions)

Do I buy/build in Melbourne or Brisbane and enjoy good upcoming Capital with average yields?

OR

Buy a block in a small southwest town of WA (1/2 hr drive from home) and build 2 houses/units with expected rent at total $700 p.w servicing $400,000 investment loan with 90% LVR??

Profile photo of joshua.moorejoshua.moore
    @joshua.moore

As my lecturer in my finance for entrepreneurship class always reminded us: CASH IS KING! If you can make $40,000 in the next three months via a buy-reno-sell vs making $4,000 profit a year via buy and hold, then I would suggest taking the option that gets you $40k now, especially after inflation is factored into the process. This cash can then be used to invest in longer term deals, but can also be used for further cash investments, reducing debt, increasing savings, cutting back work hours to maximise time, etc.

At the end of the day though it depends on your investing goals and the individual investment.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

The high rent is nice, but I would be asking how much profit on the construction deal – ie how much will it cost to build and how much is it worth at the end. If there is profit to be made, then you can repeat the process and keep them with the loans covering repayments.

Just buying with the hope of a capital gain may be less attractive.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Dan WaringDan Waring
    @dan-waring

OK.. well the loan as i said would be around $400K  (depending on which block I choose) and the value would be $500+K (this is by the way to BUILD NEW so it will take 7-10 months.. (p.s $500 K for the 2 houses is VERY conservative)

I guess the reason why Im asking is simply because that area has only approx 6% growth so the growth will only come from the construction deal…

Thanks for you time and comments.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.