All Topics / Help Needed! / What Do I do now?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of Da ManDa Man
    @da-man

Hi guys,

I would be keen for any views on my situation. 

Salary approx $200k per year.

Have a PPOR (bought 2 years ago) and an IP in Sydney.

PPOR purchased at $510k. Not sure what current value is, but on the basis of comparable recent sales somewhere around $530K. 

I borrowed about $470K.  Paying P&I fortnightly. 2 years later I now owe about $435k.  100% variable. With interest rate decreases now, I have not reduced my repayments and am therefore am paying more than I need to – happy to continue with that to get the P down faster.

I have an offset account.

Have had an IP for 12 months. Borrowed just under $300k.  Took it as interest only for first 12 months.  Am contemplating going to P&I now. But yet to decide. Repayments around $1900 per month. Rental return $320 per week.

I have developed some more savings which I am in two minds about do I:

– Look to buy another IP with some good buys out there and use the savings as a part deposit.
    – or do I hold steady on a second IP, use available cash to get the P down on my PPOR and look at a 2nd IP some time down the track.

Views?

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Probably worth considering P&I (even though repayments are slightly higher) with an offset account for your additional savings however P&I will restrict your cashflow a little.

Yields are good at present however they will tighten when the market changes – rents will drop and subsequently affect the serviceability of the loan.

As your ppor loan is not decuctible, it may pay to keep reducing the principal on this loan whilst borrowed funds are cheap (possibly use the offset account to minimise you nondeductible interest and keep your payments at old levels).

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

I would plunk all money into the offset account and then off the home loan before reborrowing for further investments.

All investment loans should be IO until you have paid off the home loan.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.