All Topics / Help Needed! / Any advice – for or against “off-the-plan” properties for investment ?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of kwarriorkwarrior
    @kwarrior

Hi,

I am new to investing in Property…I have had several contacts with people who are able to and will help…but recently I am caught in a quandry.

I have one "adviser"…saying I should never buy an "off-the-plan" investment property. He says buy closed to the CBD (I am in Melbourne)…you may have to renovate or get a unit that has been recently renovated…in order to maximise my 'depreciation' claims…

On the other hand, I had somebody advise…that I could do the following with an "off-the-plan" IP..
    a)Save on Stamp duty..the money saved makes up for the rental loss..
    b) Since I will make a commitment, and draw a loan for this IP, I am allowed to offset my Interest Payments this financial year..
    c) I have a "brand new" place, deriving the best possible depreciation over the next 10 years…

Both assume that I am in a growth area ..with an historical trend of 5 or 6 % year on year…

Any advice from people who have actually invested in 'off-the-plan' IPs ? This will be my first one, and hence my apprehension…

Help!!

KW

Profile photo of XynergyXynergy
    @xynergy

Hi kwarrior,  in my opinion, off the plan is usually better for investment, especially if the developer give a rental guarantee. Moreover, off the plan gives u opportunity for increasing price as the houses/apartments are being build. Also as u mentioned above u can save on other stuff such as stamp duty.
    I have an experience of buying off the plan at Travancore , where my client bought it and 3 weeks later the price has gone up for another 15k, so bassically u have a capital gain of 15k.
    i am currently working in an investment company and we are doing property for our investment vehicles, we are stationed in melbourne as well, so if u like to come and consult with us just come by at our office and we'll give you some advice and also show to you some of the good investment in off-the-plan investment

Cheers,
    Junius Tjetje

Profile photo of kwarriorkwarrior
    @kwarrior

Many thanks for your offer…

Again, I might be "new"…but after doing the rounds of people "offering" the "best" advice (which is usually based on what they promote!!)…I have decided to do most of my investing on my own…..with a "mentor"…who is not one individual, but a whole host of people, forums, education, etc. So I am a bit wary of people promoting themselves or their wares….

But thanks for the offer….

I know that there are people out there who are "reserving" their opinion…but guys…go on…give voice to your thoughts please…

Profile photo of Edvico_kvnEdvico_kvn
    @edvico_kvn

Hi Kwarrior,

I'm personally not a big fan of "off the Plan" purchases as I like to see and touch the final product before putting my hard-earned dollars in such a large investment.

When I inspect properties I like to see to quality of the finished product, how my particular unit compares to the rest of the complex (and how it is comparitively priced), the natural lighting of the unit,  what the common area/shared facilities look like, what's the noise level like (can you hear traffic from nearby road or noise from neighbours)….etc.

Furthermore, I would normally like to see the track record of the Strata Scheme:  are the quarterly fees reasonable,  is there sufficient money put aside for long-term maintenance needs, does the Minutes of Strata meetings indicate problems with the workmanship of the complex?

Yes, you may save on stamp duty and you may purchase the unit cheaper off-the-plan, but the disadvantages/risks I've highlighted above far outweigh the "potential" benefits (there's no guarantee the price you purchase off-the-plan will be lower than the market value especially if the complex turns out to be a botched job so stick to reputable builders if you really have to purchase off-the-plan).

Hope the above gives you some issues/ideas to think about

@kwarrior

Hey..that was good input….
    The problem is…not so much good builders or not so good builders…it the brokers who hover around looking for a piece of my dollars !!

That itself, should persuade me to go after established places…

One question though….what about Depreciation…? Do you try and procure places that are fairly new ..to maximise dep or do you go out and renovate…I am not into renovating, which is why I was looking for off-the-plan…

Would appreciate your thoughts again…and thanks
    KW

Profile photo of CHISCHIS
    Participant
    @chis

New houses are definitely the best for depreciation. The best ones are only a few years old or brand new is the key. As the house ages you get less and less you can depreciate.

Off the plan is not necessarily a bad thing. Consider the area. Is there a high rental vacancy? You will need a tenant. What is the area like? You will need a tenant that won't trash your house. Who will build it? Are they reputable or if they are an unknown, find out what else they have built and take a look at it.  What is the socioeconomic area? Will you get the rent you need? Familiarise yourself with the design and find out what project builders are charging for similar designs. If it's good value it's good value. Buying off the plan usually saves you some money. Your profit is made when you buy. Appreciation is a bonus and is no certainty for many years in the current environment.

mug investor

Profile photo of agentyumiagentyumi
    Participant
    @agentyumi

Housing depreciates at roughly 2.5% per year while net of maintenance housing depreciate at approximately 2%. 

Acquiring property off plan today is securing the price of that property at today's prices.  By the time the property is completed it may be very well have risen in value thus making you a significant return on your investment immediately. 

@kwarrior

Many thanks Guys…you would have guessed, that I had an off-the-plan property in mind….though I am not sure if it is in a place that has high demand…

It certainly is in an area that has loads of building activity…and from the rentals (as viewed on Realestate.com.au.) these seem to be upwards of 250K…

Eventually there will be many houses to let, but at the same time, there will be a significant migrant move there too…

Thanks everybody….but if there are more thoughts and advise…keep it going…

Cheers
    KW

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.