All Topics / Help Needed! / A few tax questions on land with the intent of becoming an IP

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of donkey33donkey33
    @donkey33

Hi,

I need help with a few tax related issues. I don't have an Accountant or anyone professional to help me at the moment as I'd like to understand it myself.

Purchase a block of land to build a new home on and rent out. This is my first IP. I had the land and loan settled just before June 30 this year and I'm not sure exactly what I can claim from this. I already have the plans drawn up and construction starts next week.

From reading the ATO website, I can claim the following:

– Bank fees

– Stam Duty (only on loan and not on land)

– Loan Interest?

– Other fees (soil test costs, plan costs, etc)?

The loan interest I'm not sure on because this is only land at the moment and not income producing. This is an IP though so intent is there. The ATO website states that you can claim the interest on the loan if the land is being used as an future investment. Is this correct?

With other fees, can I actually claim these types of things? Plan costs are over 3k and soil test costs are minor but a cost none the less.

Also, is there anything else I can claim? Can I claim the deposit I used for the land (over 30k) or anything else? I have a construction loan now but that was started after June 30 so everything in regards to that will go into next years tax.

Also, because I'm so raw at this, maybe it might be worthwhile to have someone professional help me. Would I look at Accountants or who specifically? South Eastern Suburbs or the in the City (Melbourne) would be best if anyone can recommend someone.

Thanks

Profile photo of cmolluso159cmolluso159
    Participant
    @cmolluso159

Hi

It wuld be probably worth consulting with an accountant: as I don't think you can claim anything until the house is built and drawing an income.

Cheers

Cat

Profile photo of harbharb
    @harb
    donkey33 wrote:

From reading the ATO website, I can claim the following:

– Bank fees

– Stam Duty (only on loan and not on land)

– Loan Interest?

– Other fees (soil test costs, plan costs, etc)?

The loan interest I'm not sure on because this is only land at the moment and not income producing. This is an IP though so intent is there. The ATO website states that you can claim the interest on the loan if the land is being used as an future investment. Is this correct?

That was my understanding as well, as long as the intent was there. I'd call the tax office to clarify it for you and keep records of the conversation just in case.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

have a look at the documents on http://www.bantacs.com.au

You cannot claim the deposit as this is not an expense, but capital. Interest is claimable. Not sure where plans etc come into it, but think this are capital costs and come off the CG when you sell – but this would depend on whether you intend to build and sell or to keep and rent out.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of donkey33donkey33
    @donkey33

Thanks.

Anyone know of a good Accountant in the South Eastern suburbs (Melbourne) area? Even in the city as I work there.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.