All Topics / Finance / GE and other “cheap” lenders

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of RudigaRudiga
    @rudiga

being new to all this, a lot of posts and opinions are against those of smaller lenders, such as GE.
    going on their website, GE have a fairly low interest variable rate compared to ther banks. even the comparison rate is cheaper then other lenders.
    yet a lot of brokers and people in the know i talk to tell me to steer right away from them. i dont understand, why is that?
    i asked my broker why dont you put me through GE, and he said oh no definitly not.

Profile photo of angela76angela76
    Participant
    @angela76

huge exit costs in first 5 years, some even around $12000 depending on what you are borrowing

Profile photo of RudigaRudiga
    @rudiga

but isnt that factored into the Comparison Rate?

Profile photo of MortgagePlusMortgagePlus
    @mortgageplus

LOL. Small.

Just to clarify, GE is the simgle largest company in the world. Small would not be one of the most suitable descriptions.
    Further to that, they have got themselves a questionable reputation in the marketplace, as they have operated GE creditline and personal loan services for a long time, and certain 'Interest Free' promotions have caught some borrowers out.
    I have dealt with them a few times, and all seems well. I have spoken to some that would cut off a limb before going near them.
    You will hear good and bad about everyone in any given market.

The comparison rate does not (and is not required to) take into account the exit costs because you are not meant to take out a long term loan with the goal of short term refinancing. Generally, the lenders that have higher exis costs are the ones that offer the lowest ongoing rates, or at the complete other end of the scale the others are the ones that have a niche in the market. Bluestone, Peppers, Rams, Sieza and to a lesser extent GE money all have their respective place in the market.
    Lets not forget that these guys are running a business, and they make money from borrowers in the form of interest over time. If a lender is willing to take on a client with credit impariment (as an example), they are putting theircash on the line to give that person a second chance. If that person sorts everything outin 8 months, and then buggers off to a mainstream funder, the organisation that went out on a limb has made nothing for it. This is particularly true of funders that will accept messy refinance statements. They cover their costs by charging interest, and they make profit from the exit fees.

My opinion is forget the exit costs, because if you really sit down and work it out, shopping around for the 'best' deal is more expensive in the long run. Get a competitive and reliable funder, that gives you the ability to switch/substitute security properties, and convert to alternative loans for a minimal costs. DEF and early payout fees should be the least of your worries.

Profile photo of Lady LuckLady Luck
    @lady-luck

Hi Rudiga,

My problem with GE is not pre-settlement, nor is it related to its products, my problem is what happens after your loan has settled. And i can only assume that this is wh brokers try and steer you away, they wouldnt want you to blame them for the service you receive from the Lender.

Asic has also had dealing with GE recently, check out this link http://www.fido.gov.au/FIDO/fido.nsf/byHeadline/GE%20Money

Good Luck.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.