All Topics / Help Needed! / help and ideas on purchasing land as investment

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of jjsljjsl
    @jjsl

Hi,

Could someone confirm that if you buy a block of land for investment purposes only, you can claim the interest payments on the loan.

The reason i ask is we would like to get into the property market but are not able to borrow much and feel this would be the best way to start. As we have to start somewhere.

Would this be the best way to get into the market or could someone suggest a better idea.

thanks

Profile photo of Paul22MPaul22M
    @paul22m

Hi , nope you cannot claim any interest on vacant land, the only way you can claim interest is if you buy a house or unit and rent it out to someone then you can negative gear it. As to your other question, with the price of land , maybe for a little extra you could buy a 1-2 bedroom apartment of flat somewhere close to the city? Then you could use it for tax purposes too, where in australia are u thinking of buying tho? If you are thinking of perth where I live i would suggest dont buy anything at the moment because i think the market may take abit of a dive as there is way too much for sale and no buyers. As far as land investment goes too I would suggest you will not make a quick buck in this market and u would want to be prepared to hold onto the land for a very long time, an example, I bought a block about 1 year and a half ago when perth had a supposedly 'land shortage' . I ended up buying a block in the northern suburbs, 500sqm and close to a shopping centre, I paid 195000 for it,  I thought i would hold onto it for a while then sell it as I thought i picked it up for a good price, I paid interest only on the loan and after a year I put it on the market, I was hoping to get 260 000 or atleast 250 000, 6 months later I sold it at a price where when i added everything up i barely broke even. Problem i had was there was way to much land for sale and no one buying land plus all the developers couldnt sell land either so there all offering incentives to buy land off them because even if the markets quiet they still need to keep selling land. And they are also dropping the price, before i bought my block i looked at an estate in butler (outer northern suburbs of perth) and for a decent size block u would be looking at around 210-230 range, now in todays paper satterley is advertising they are releasing blocks in the 500-600sqm size for 180000- 190000. So basically anyone that bought land off them a year ago going by those prices would have lost 20-30 grand atleast.

Profile photo of newbi2newbi2
    @newbi2

Hi jjsl,

Whilst you cannot claim the interest on land (unless you can show that his is your trading stock, ie you are a land developer and it is your main source of income, then the CGT discount wont apply), you will be able to add it to the cost base when you sell so all is not lost.

Dont be pressured in to jumping into the market as you feel that anything is better than nothing. It will only lead you to many sleepless nights. Work out what you hope to achieve and then work out an area that suits you price. Know everything you can about that area so that when anything hits the markt you can be objective and say "yes, good deal" or "no, bad deal" and more importantly know WHY. This way you will make a much better buy and get alot more sleep at night.

All the best
    Mick

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi,

I disagree about the deductability of interest on land.

Provided the land was bought for investment purposes – that is, with the view to making a profit – then why wouldn't the interest be tax deductible?

To quote from the tax ruling

6. The deductibility of interest is typically determined through an examination of the purpose of the borrowing and the use to which the borrowed funds are put

Furthermore, the tests put forward in the tax ruling are:

9. It follows from Steele that interest incurred in a period prior to the derivation of relevant assessable income will be 'incurred in gaining or producing the assessable income' in the following circumstances:

·  the interest is not incurred 'too soon', is not preliminary to the income earning activities, and is not a prelude to those activities;
    ·  the interest is not private or domestic;
    · the period of interest outgoings prior to the derivation of relevant assessable income is not so long, taking into account the kind of income earning activities involved, that the necessary connection between outgoings and assessable income is lost;
    · the interest is incurred with one end in view, the gaining or producing of assessable income; and
    · continuing efforts are undertaken in pursuit of that end.

I would say therefore that there needs to be some clear nexus between the property and the intended future assessable income. For this reason, I would see an tax accountant before buying the property.

In summary, there mere fact that you are buying land will not preclude you from gaining a tax deduction for the interest, however it does raise questions that need consideration and planning with a good tax accountant.

Cheers,

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Profile photo of jjsljjsl
    @jjsl

Thank you all for your input..

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Yes you certainly can claim interest on land if you are intending to build a rental property. You can claim all the usual costs too such as rates etc.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Wealth AccumulatorWealth Accumulator
    @wealth-accumulator

Hi

Sometimes we can focus too much on the tax side of things and it can take away from the end goal most would have of accumulating net wealth that can provide a passive income to replace our personal exertion income (or at least give us choices).

Initially it all comes down to cashflow and what you are trying to achieve through making the investment.

Short term investments are really speculation and carry greater risk as shown above.

Re the deductibility issue – if you want as much certainty as possible get a private ruling from the ATO.

As the land wouldn't be providing income in the short term you would probably want to pay the debt down as fast as possible money to the bank vs money to taxman – what's the diff!  Once the debt is paid down the land might add to security for other investments – check with your lender though.

In this case if the deductibility is available you would have yourself and your tax paying off the investment – if you have a rental property or shares you have three "people" paying off your investment you have your share, the taxman's share and the renter or the dividends share in the case of the sharemarket.

Extra income provides extra investment opportunities, whether that be reinvesting the income in the current investment or using it to fund new investments.

Borrowing money increases both the potential gains and potential losses – ability to service the debt is the issue.

Gather as much info as possible to help make an informed decision.  If seeking advice to make the end decision take it from someone who is professionally liable for the advice – which of course will mean there is a cost involved.  There are no free rides in our dear world!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.