All Topics / Finance / What is the benefit of an interest only loan?

Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Profile photo of JodieDJodieD
    @jodied

Thanks Richard, I appreciate your explanation.  JD.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Pleasure Jodie.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of RudigaRudiga
    @rudiga

First time poster and user, and this topic is real interesting to me.

Richard, your rationale is excellent….and agree with the IO way to go…however have this question.

What your saying is For EG, I take out a $300K IO loan on a OO security with value, lets just say $350K….has an offset attached to it.

In 3 years i decide to move out to another OO, and keep my first house to use as an INV property.
    i have made additional repayments in the 3 years and lets say my balance is now $250K, because i have $50K in my offset account.

Are you saying that if I use that $50K in the offset to help pay for my new OO property, the balance on my first property which is now going to be used as a INV, will be back to $300K……..and hence because the balance is now $300K, it is 100% tax deductible?

i hope that makes sense

cheers

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

IO loans stay at the same balance throughout the loan. An offset account is a totally separate account to the loan. Any money in the offset account saves you the same amount of interest as if it were deposited directly into the loan account but it is still totally separate from the loan. So any money going into and out of the offset will still leave the loan balance the same.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Rudiga

Welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy your time with us.

Hopefully i can make things a little clearer for you and you will understand the benefits of an offset account.

What your saying is For EG, I take out a $300K IO loan on a OO security with value, lets just say $350K….has an offset attached to it. One of the benefits with the offset account is that the loans are kept separate so you will owe the lender $300K but have $50K sitting in your savings account and only have been charged interest on the net difference of $250K.

In 3 years i decide to move out to another OO, and keep my first house to use as an INV property.
    i have made additional repayments in the 3 years and lets say my balance is now $250K, because i have $50K in my offset account.

Are you saying that if I use that $50K in the offset to help pay for my new OO property, the balance on my first property which is now going to be used as a INV, will be back to $300K……..and hence because the balance is now $300K, it is 100% tax deductible?

Yes this is exactly right. If you were to make a capital reduction on the loan and then redraw the $50K in advance payments the interest would not be deductible. Because the 2 accounts are separate your investment loan balance is now back to $300K and the $50K is an on call and can be used as the new deposit> You could always cross collateralise the 2 securities (not my prefered option) borrow a 100% and attach the new offset account to the PPOR in case you move again in a few years time.

The essence is the structure and not many mortgage brokers and even less bank employees have any idea of how to structure a loan correctly to maximise your tax benefits.

I hope this make sense but feel free to contact me if you need further clarification.

Profile photo of RudigaRudiga
    @rudiga

Thanks for that Richard…..much appreciated

so really, having an Offset linked to a IO loan is pretty much the same as having a Line of Credit loan. its just either having 1 account or 2 accounts if there is an Offset.
    people have been telling me a Line of Credit loan should never be used for a OO or even INV loan. but it pretty much works the same way doesnt it? If i had the same house with an initial Line of Credit balance at $300K, the limit will always stay the same so it helps me down the track if i ever turn it into an investment.

sorry for rambling on, but like you said its something that the banks dont tell you about. to be honest i reckon most of the banks staff dont even know anything about how it works.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

LOCs are completely different to IO plus offset as there is only one account. Any deposit in the LOC will be a repayment and any withdraw will be new borrowings. So if you have your pay paid into a LOC that is deductible and then take it out again for expenses then you will be rapidly decreasing the deductible balance. You could end up with a loan similar to the original amount – but without the ability to claim any of the interest.

A LOC should only be used to access equity and for investment purposes – eg deposits on further properties, paying other rental property expenses etc.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of sammyrosssammyross
    @sammyross

http://banking.about.com/od/mortgages/a/interestonlyln.htm

this a page on disadvantages and advantages of interest only loans hope you find it useful

Participant
    @qlds007

And i am sure if we were in the US of A this link would be relevant but as the Tax and Mortgage structure in Australia is totally different most of the points made are irrelevant and misleading.

Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.