All Topics / Help Needed! / MEDIAN HOUSE PRICES DOWN 2%

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Profile photo of blogsblogs
    Participant
    @blogs
    Profile photo of nedkellynedkelly
    @nedkelly
    blogs wrote:

Hmmmmmm and we still have a booming economy and 'proprty shortage'…..

The property shortage is well documented and the economy is still booming if you take economic growth figures in to account. This article doesn't refer to either of these things. The article states it's interest rates and the falling stockmarket that have driven prices down.      

Profile photo of blogsblogs
    Participant
    @blogs
    nedkelly wrote:
    The property shortage is well documented and the economy is still booming if you take economic growth figures in to account. This article doesn't refer to either of these things. The article states it's interest rates and the falling stockmarket that have driven prices down.      

For every 'property shortage' document you can show me I can show you just as many from the 1980's and prior!!

"The extraordinary home-price boom of the past decade or so was driven primarily by the halving of mortgage rates between the second half of the 1980s and the second half of the 1990s, with the halving of the capital gains tax – and surge in property speculation – also a key driver," Robertson says.

Also have a read on 'peak debt'. Basically what a lot of people fail to realise it is basically impossible for property to continue to double every 7-10 years as is so often spouted. To finance thses increase debt has to increase exponentially-eventually it will reach a point where it just cant go up at the same rates-all the increases are based on 100 odd years of data, hardley a very long time frame…

Profile photo of Peter T 123Peter T 123
    Participant
    @peter-t-123

Blogs has some very interesting points that i do not think people should just dismiss.
    I cought up with a friend in Canberra over the weekend and he bought his house in 2006 and sold it for 8k less in 2008 if you also take into account the agents fees he has lost more than just 8k.

Blogs keep the info comming!

zippys

Profile photo of gmh454gmh454
    @gmh454

I agree with Blogs, and when someone writes this up after the final washup, we will see a convergence of factors never seen before.

Not just the halving of rates and the speculation referred to but the deregulating of the market meant any homelss drunk could get not only 100%+ finance but a cheque for many thousands on top, a whole industry of people , brokers, spruikers, bankers, agents and not to be left out TV, with the Block, Hot Property location location, all created an unreal world, where assessment of investment, rate of return, became meaningless.

Back in 2004/2005 the biggest profession setting up self managed super funds were not accountants, solicitors or financial planners but real estate agents.

I am an  accountant and when people would tell us what they were buying we would ask what is the rent and calc net rate of return, which sometimes was as low as less than 2%. When we would advise them of this we were always comforted by the client's confidence that the capital gain would make that return immaterial. Could not loose, can't fail….

Once on this board someone chided  foundation on his negativism, explaining to him that property had to double because interest rates halved………..wonder what he will tell the people who bought in recent years as rates have ow gone up over 58%.
    (9.36 -5.9 = 3.46 = 58.6%).

We have several clients who have haemorrhaged their retirement plans, not looking forward to the next conversation..

Profile photo of Tony BTony B
    @tony-b
    gmh454 wrote:

Not just the halving of rates and the speculation referred to but the deregulating of the market meant any homelss drunk could get not only 100%+ finance but a cheque for many thousands on top, a whole industry of people , brokers, spruikers, bankers, agents and not to be left out TV, with the Block, Hot Property location location, all created an unreal world, where assessment of investment, rate of return, became meaningless.

I am an  accountant and when people would tell us what they were buying we would ask what is the rent and calc net rate of return, which sometimes was as low as less than 2%. When we would advise them of this we were always comforted by the client's confidence that the capital gain would make that return immaterial. Could not loose, can't fail….

I totally agree with you my friend.  I went to a financial planner the other day and he said the same thing, young people obcessed with property as an investment even after been shown the sums with a retune less than 2% some refuse to beleive that property does not double every 7-10 years.  I have seen so many young and some not so young vendors left scratching there head on aution day when not one bib was offered.    And for the life of me I cant justify entering the property market as an invester at present. However Im always looking for a bargan.

Reminder apparently tonight on 4 Conners ABC there is a program on intrest rate and there impact on home owners, so I was told.

Keep the good news coming.

Tony…….

Profile photo of seankseank
    @seank
    blogs wrote:
    http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/median-house-price-down-11000/2008/03/29/1206207499082.html

Hmmmmmm and we still have a booming economy and 'proprty shortage'…..

The very same article was posted in Somersoft, and the general feeling was…. so what? 11k price drop in median price is rather small.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Other factors can also play their part in the drop in the median price eg a decrease in the commencements/approvals of new dwellings leading to a decline in completions. That is, if the majority of recorded sales are for resales of dwellings (other factors aside) the developer's premium does not play as great a part in the median price of sales (especially in areas where there have previously been numerous sales of new premises.

Profile photo of blogsblogs
    Participant
    @blogs
    seank wrote:
    [
    The very same article was posted in Somersoft, and the general feeling was…. so what? 11k price drop in median price is rather small.

True, but bear in mind we are still in a booming economy with historically low interest rates-we are at the tip of the ice berg-thats what makes it interesting. If clearance rates at median prices are already falling back I think it is interesting to consider what may happen when there is actually some hardship/unemployment/high interest rates to contend with….

Profile photo of rgarreffargarreffa
    @rgarreffa

Figures based on Melbourne only which is a state reliant on manufacturing and services.  QLD and WA are still moving and SA will if they get the infrastructure to capitalise on the emerging mining industries they have.

For the record property prices in Australia have achieved 12% average growth for 120 years.
    In the UK average property growth is 8% dating back over 1000 years.

In 2000 when I bought my first property for $200,000 on a $26k income everyone thought I was nuts.  7 years later it is almost 4 times that value.  I would not expect such short rapid growth like that again for a decade or more but it will still go up.  I am a cups half full sort of guy so call me crazy for seeing the positive in things.

Profile photo of LorinLorin
    @lorin

Yes, I think it is important to retain a degree of scepticism though remember that property prices are driven by a number of factors – including net immigration of 50k+ professionals per year with high salaries, the flow on effect of outer suburb prices allowing residents to upgrade to inner suburbs and push up that price, the fact that we have continuing salary growth in Australia (albeit at risk right now), and that investors will begin to enter the market as rental yields become more attractive. With the lack of confidence in the stock market right now, there are no doubt a stack of investors keen to look for safer investments. Real estate has typically been the safest investment to date, and I see little chance of that changing. 

Our rental vacancy is at a record low (in NSW). There is talk of rents continuing to rise well into 2011. Builders will not commit to building new properties if there is no economic return for them. So if I were to assess the relationship between rents and capital gains crudely – i would suggest that with the current rental crisis – yields will continue to rise until such point as they lure builders to fix the rental crisis by adding more properties. Either way, I see realestate as a relatively safe investment in the current economic environment.

Just to add to that – if you are buying a piece of land and adding capital value to that land through renovation, rebuilding or subdividing, your profits are in a sense buffered by the value YOU are personally adding to the land.

Loz

Profile photo of RockianRockian
    @rockian
    Lorin wrote:

Just to add to that – if you are buying a piece of land and adding capital value to that land through renovation, rebuilding or subdividing, your profits are in a sense buffered by the value YOU are personally adding to the land.

Loz

That's true Loz, that's why I am building duplexes. I get instant equity gains of over 100k and this is a great buffer against any dramas in the market. Personally I would not be purchasing an investment property without this development potential. Too risky for me!

Ian

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.