All Topics / Finance / Finance

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of Brendan IrwinBrendan Irwin
    Participant
    @brendan-irwin

i would like to buy a property with 2 other friends. The banks and other lenders want a 20% deposit. We are unable to come up with this amount. We have negotiated a good price for the property but we need someone who can finance it for us. Is this possible to be done under a wrap? And is there someone out there that can help us?

Profile photo of critter66critter66
    Participant
    @critter66

what do we do???? we own a house valued at $530K….we now have three kids and need to move closer to work , schools etc….we could get $440 rent per week but the houses in the areas we need to live in are about 700K…we are not savvy with investing, we had our heads down for years to pay the house off ,we have a joint income of $100k. could we get some advice please….

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw
    Brendan Irwin wrote:
    i would like to buy a property with 2 other friends. The banks and other lenders want a 20% deposit. We are unable to come up with this amount. We have negotiated a good price for the property but we need someone who can finance it for us. Is this possible to be done under a wrap? And is there someone out there that can help us?

Hi Brendan

What is the reason the banks will not lend more than 80%? If you look around you may find some other lender out there.

If not, then you could try to get the seller to finance the 20% for you. This is called vendor finance and it works as though you are borrowing the money from the seller. Rates and terms etc are up to you to negotiate. it could be 5 years IO or 2 years with no interest etc.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Participant
    @terryw
    critter66 wrote:
    what do we do???? we own a house valued at $530K….we now have three kids and need to move closer to work , schools etc….we could get $440 rent per week but the houses in the areas we need to live in are about 700K…we are not savvy with investing, we had our heads down for years to pay the house off ,we have a joint income of $100k. could we get some advice please….

You could rent in the area you wish to live in. You may be able to claim negative gearing on the old house, saving tax and structure it so that you can avoid CGT on this house even though you are renting. The rent on the new place should be much cheaper than what you would be paying on a loan for the same property.

Or you could sell the old one and buy the new. There would be a lot of costs involved.

Or you could keep the old one and buy the new one as well. The trouble with this is you would probably need to borrow 105% of the new place and pay lots of interest which would not be deductible

Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Brendan IrwinBrendan Irwin
    Participant
    @brendan-irwin
    Terryw wrote:
    Brendan Irwin wrote:

Hi Brendan

What is the reason the banks will not lend more than 80%? If you look around you may find some other lender out there.

If not, then you could try to get the seller to finance the 20% for you. This is called vendor finance and it works as though you are borrowing the money from the seller. Rates and terms etc are up to you to negotiate. it could be 5 years IO or 2 years with no interest etc.

Terry
    The property is 40 acres in size and is classified as rural.

Brendan

Participant
    @terryw

Hi Brendan

Have you tried Bankwest?

Email Me

Profile photo of bradjebradje
    Participant
    @bradje
    Brendan Irwin wrote:

If the Banks are unhappy with this loan it may be a warning bell…..Be extra careful with your due diligence.
    JB

Profile photo of v8ghiav8ghia
    @v8ghia

Hi Brendan. I'm a bit out of touch now with some of the various lenders, but CBA and NAB also come to mind as being ok with acreage. That said, most lenders will watn at least a 10% deposit, if not 20%

They are much harder to sell these rural properties, thus why lenders require higher deposits if they ofer finance at all. (some won't look at anything over 20025 acres)
    Cheers

Profile photo of Dean LynchDean Lynch
    @dean-lynch
    critter66 wrote:
    what do we do???? we own a house valued at $530K….we now have three kids and need to move closer to work , schools etc….we could get $440 rent per week but the houses in the areas we need to live in are about 700K…we are not savvy with investing, we had our heads down for years to pay the house off ,we have a joint income of $100k. could we get some advice please….

You may choose to sell your current owner occupied property and take any equity to your next home. If you decided to buy an investment property after that you may be in a position to borrow the whole purchase price and the fees and charges and then claim the maximum tax benefit available, it is usually a good idea to maximise the debt on investment properties as opposed to PPOR's, however, I would need to have a closer look at your position to provide some solutions based on your current level of debt.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.