All Topics / Help Needed! / Investment

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Profile photo of RVPRVP
    @rvp

Hi all,
    Im looking for some help with regard to investment help with determining how i should invest my savings at the end of this year, Currently im paying back two loans im paying %8.95 on the first and %34 on the second in all i owe another $20000. Also where can i find foreclosed in SA?

Thankyou to everyone who contributes to this website

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

On the basis that you have no non decuctible personal debt then set up a 100% offset account and place the funds in there.

You will have the double advantage of having the funds at call but also receiving the same rate of interest as you are being charged on your mortgage account tax free.

Also try and trim back that interest rate you are currently paying as it is higher than the norm.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of RVPRVP
    @rvp

Thanksfor the advice Olds007

Also i thought i should clarify on my question being about Forclosed homes, Im basically looking for hints and tips on where to find them in SA

Thanks

Profile photo of RVPRVP
    @rvp
    Profile photo of ScampScamp
    @scamp
    RVP wrote:
    how i should invest my savings

paying back two loans

There's your answer ( I removed all garbage from your post, and the answer is left ).

Profile photo of RVPRVP
    @rvp

Gee thanks thats a great help with finding forclosed homes

Ive paid those loans back just last week btw, Thankyou again Olds007 i used your advice and i am forever greatfull

So again i ask can anyone give me some insight into finding forclosed homes please!

@scamp
    RVP wrote:

So again i ask can anyone give me some insight into finding forclosed homes please!

Ever heard of Google ? Today's kids want everything on a silver plate nowadays. "Help me get rich please" , "help me with my loan", "help me with my spelling errors".

My advice to you :
    – Get a bit older before you even think about going into foreclosures
    – Get some cash , by working a job , before you think about going into foreclosures
    – Get a spelling checker or at least finish elementary school.
    – Get a basic course in economics before you do anything with money

By that time, we'll be in the recession and you'll be glad you didn't get into more debt than you already are.

At least I'm glad you paid off your 20.000 debt. Although I have a hard time beleiving you really did , I think starting out with credit card debts or worse ( 34% ) really isn't a healthy grounds for giving you money.

Can I ask how much cash you have laying around in order to buy a foreclosed property ?.,.. I'd expect you to have at least 100.000$ if you're anywhere serious about buying property on a foreclosure auction ( damn… still helped you ).

I didn't mean to make you cry, I'm here to show you reality of life and wise money-spending. Getting debt to invest in something that you have not even the slightest idea about isn't something that I'd consider 'wise investing'. If you need help finding foreclosures, I'd say stay out of the big boys gamezone, and just rent a place and save money until you are ready to make your first baby-steps in investor-land.

Profile photo of RVPRVP
    @rvp

Ok you constant assumptions are really getting on my nerves and you know what Scamp i assume you have no real friends in your life you probably are reasonably wealthy and your disliked in your the circles you hang around because you like to rub peoples noses in it aswell.

Anyway before i say too much i will correct your previous assumptions that these debts i had were not credit card debts i dont even own a credit card as i do not have a need for them. I took out a car loan of 12000 to purchase a VZ Calais and a set of rims which were out of my reach at the time  and you know what im happy with it as ive never had a single little problem with the car its perfect and still only done 44ks. The other was a personal loan which i used as a business loan. Secondly i own my house outright and have another block of land and NO debt so i am here to learn which what the purpose of this website is. So again you look like a fool scamp and for your info no i dont have $100000 in cash atm but i have equity and i work two jobs one of which i start at 4am and i earn around $1000 amonth in residual income from mlm marketing which i dont lift a finger to earn because i no longer actively persue it anymore. Aside from all that i collect rent since i have two people living with me and in the near future im going to start a diploma in financial planning.

So there you have a member of todays youth. We were very poor when i was growing up so ive decided to prepare a good life for my children and yea i do wanna get rich quick Scamp but i understand that property investment is for the long term as with most investments. Unlike you and your selfish ways i have big dreams of being mega rich so i can give back to the world in the form of saving the enviroment which if you ask me is more important than anything! Since your generation and previous generations have destroyed our planet in many forms its up to the youth to save it or die and thats what we carry on our shoulders so its no wonder so many waste there lives away because they see no hope. Perhaps one day i can reach them because people like you Scamp have no chance at accomplishing anything of real substance.

Dont ever think that your words would ever upset me Scamp you are weak and your attempt to hide your insecurities make you behave arrogantly and ignorantly – its not pretty and its not healthy so please think about getting some help i wish you all the best with that!

Profile photo of NucopiaNucopia
    @nucopia

Good work RVP and keep  dreaming learning and struggling to get to were you want to go. your on the right track already.
    my advice is to  look on this web site http://www.realestate.com.au (one of many out there)
    get a feel for the area that you feel comfortable with and get to know some of the agents in that area.
    make a plan and take it step by step
    first choose several area's you wish to investigate
    get to know the area and the agents that are in the area
    Talk to them, visit the area and look at all the properties advertised also look at places that are  closed up and not occupied ask  neighbors why they are vacant . I found a very nice home like this  that I picked up  very cheap because the elderly owner had no next of kin and a need to secure his long term stay in an aged care facility..another time I found a home that was not on the market but was in limbo because of a divorce, once  both parties realised they could get out of debt and stop fighting over the house in   court… and  by selling to me both would  walked away with some cash  before the bank  foreclosed and they lost every thing . They were happy to sell at 30% blow market. and not pay commission to an agent…
    RVP start here  http://www.realestate.com.au
     send emails and call and talk to the agents then go out and take a look around you may not find what your looking for right away,  but if you keep looking you will find bargains out there. its just learning to  recognising them when you see them…

Profile photo of roslynnchalwell@yahoo.com[email protected]
    @roslynnchalwell-yahoo.com

RVP

Try http://www.nmdata.com.au they have sales by Public Trustees, Mortgagee Sales etc listed on their site all over Australia.

Hope it helps.

Ros 

Profile photo of RVPRVP
    @rvp

Thankyou so much Nucopia and roslynnchalwell… for the help and advice it is greatly appreciated, i have this sunday off and i will be spending the whole day researching investments. I truly cannot wait! Its actually great fun for me which i think is important

Wishing you all great success

Profile photo of The KeyThe Key
    @the-key

RVP,

Its pretty hard to find foreclosures without chatting to realestate agents. They are apponited by Lawyers who act on behalf of the lending institutions. Most go to Auction so they will not always sell up front. So having an agent working for you in the area you are looking at is best option. Or explained above browse for vacant dwellings.. hit the roads not the night clubs which will please your pocket and scampi…

Profile photo of RVPRVP
    @rvp

LOL………… Thanks mate. I am currently working on finding the right people in the real estate industry to team up with! Thanks again for the tip as silly as it sounds i hadnt yet asked a real estate agent about foreclosures i tend to come to this website for advice first.

All the very best

Profile photo of LinarLinar
    @linar

While there are forclosures (known as mortgagee sales) in SA, there are no real bargains to be had.  Once upon a time banks would sell properties for whatever they could get for them but now they are obliged to get at least 2 – 3 independent valuations and take the median price as reserve.  This means that there is a reserve for all mortgagee sales in SA at least.

It is useful to look at the websites with Public Trustee and Mortgagee Sales on them but, as I said, there are no real bargains out there (unless you can find an unintentionally undervalued property out there).  In my opinion, a property with 2 – 3 valuations is more likely to be accurately priced than a property listed with a RE Agent who doesn't know the market very well. 

Do your research on the area you like and you will soon find out what houses are going for and will be able to spot a bargain if it comes along.  I would bet that it won't be through a mortgagee sale though.

Cheers

K

Profile photo of RVPRVP
    @rvp

I personaly study investing in my spare time and my approach to learning is to study all avenues and to have an open mind to new creative ideas. I was actually explained the same thing you are saying to me by a real estate agent i spoke with on the phone and its all i needed to know really.

With the bank doing its due diligence it would seem as though your better off not investing in a foreclosure!

Thankyou very much Linar, i trust in what you say!

@scamp

Well at least you do your best to study before you rush into something. That's good.
    Foreclosures are held in auctions. Although at the moment, like someone said, there's no real gain to be had in foreclosure auctions yet. It's very , very bearish and in about 6 months you can get any house for 50% less than you'd pay in 2006-2007. The last auction of 9 houses, only 1 sold. 8 weren't even bid on. Banks will sell for whatever they can get very soon, especially when they get under liquidity pressure ( either by a law change or simply by other banks not lending them money because those too , are out of cash ).

The first ripples are arriving in Australia now. Study now, go to some auctions to get a feel of what is going on ( lately auctions are going relatively fast, maybe 40 minutes for 10 homes, so it shouldn't be too boring ) and you will get a good feel of the market too. If you have a preapproval on a loan, you can even make a silly low bid just to get the feel ( you'll start blushing for sure the first time you bid, but with experience you will learn to see it as a normal buy ). For a house 'worth' 800.000, just bid 150.000 or something. Make sure you don't lift your arm when the auctioneer says something, just SAY the price "on hundred and fifty thousand" instead. Auctioneers usually just 'assume' bids, like 500.000 if you don't say anything. *IF* the auctioneer tries this on you ( it's a trick !! ) then make sure you shout out very very very loud that you didn't bid 500.000 but 150.000.

If you don't say anything on a wrong bid, you could get into trouble. So make sure you only bid on what you want to bid. When auctions get tougher, auctioneers will use trickery more. Also make sure you know the game. First time you go to an auction NEVER *EVER* bid. Just wait, watch, see and learn.
    Make sure you understand how the prices go up. Usually there will be sudden increases which you need to be aware of , for instance ( this is only an example and not reality ! ):
    between 50K and 100K increases will be 5K
    when you get to 100K , the increases will be per 10K
    when you get to 250K , the increases will be 25K.

From a buyers perspective, it's a smart idea to be the one who bids on this 'border'. So make sure YOU are the one bidding 100K, because the next one won't be able to bid 105K , but will have to bid 5K more, to 110K.
    Same for 250K. If you're bidding at 200K, stop bidding and let someone else ( a third party ) catch up so you can bid the 210K. This way you can make the 250K bid, and people will have to suddenly bid 275K.

Some auctioneers will drop the increases again when people stop bidding, it all depends on the rules. So make sure you read the rulebook before you start bidding. Usually you will get a small A4 with rules on how to bid and the auctioneers name etc. Make sure you bring a dictionary the first time, or take notes of difficult words, like "box lot" , "the reserve" and "buy-back" "proxy bid" "collusion" ( illegal but very practical ) "premium" etc.
    Make sure you understand what you're doing and what you will need to pay. Sometimes you need to pay a buyers fee ( premium ) , sometimes you won't, usually you will have to pay taxes etc.

When you're ready to make your first bid, make sure that you have seen the house you bid on. Also make sure there are no Liens or "Junior Liens" on the house ( also second and third mortgages, but also tax outstanding etc ) as *YOU* will be buying those as well ! It's your responsibility to make sure you don't buy a debt. ( sounds silly doesn't it.. but it's true, you can "buy a debt" this way, a perfect way to lose a LOT of money very quickly ).

Some people will put a maximum on what they want to bid. They will start lower and start the bidding. That's a tactics that can be useful if you're there for only 1 house. Another tactics which I personally like much better is to have a list of houses ( preferably listed at the middle to end of an auction ) and just bid low bids on all of them ONCE. If you attend enough auctions, you're bound to get 1-2 real good deals this way. This assumes you are there really as an investor and don't buy with 'feeling' but are looking for a cheap bargain. Take houses that don't appeal to the public, don't go with the houses with nice little red flowers and the nicely cut grass for instance, as you will most probably have to bid up against people with 'feeling' who usually aren't looking for bargains but for a nice , clean house. These people will usually buy at or near 'market value' at higher risks, and usually come in pairs ( husband and wife ). You can recognize the investors because they look generally unmoved by the houses being sold, usually they wear casual clothes.

Also, auctions can be fun. The auctioneers usually are nice chaps who enjoy their fair bit of humor during the auction. And *NEVER* bid on the first house being sold unless you *really , really* want it. It's usually overpriced and will get the most bidders.

Good luck finding a good deal. Remember, it's better to bid LOW once on 6 houses, than to bid 6 times on the same house. Once you have seen a few auctions you will recognize the agents and the bank lawyers. It will make it easier to spot a 'seller bid' ( something you should NEVER bid against )

Profile photo of MaxxiMaxxi
    @maxxi

There are regulations around foreclosures being 'fire sales' at bargain prices …. I agree they are very hard to find as the banks have responsibilites to sell the properties at as close to market value as possible or end up in court!
    A lot of these ideas of buying thru foreclosures comes form the US …. the Australian economy is not the US economy and I agree with Linar …. they usually go to auction or to public trustee sales depending on the circumstances and are handled by solicitors.

Profile photo of Aj_RichoAj_Richo
    Participant
    @aj_richo

NAB, Westpac and RAMS and probably a few more by now, use the services of one Company to handle their for-closures.

The Company , based in SA, handles the bailiff for the inevitable eviction, lockchanges, repairs, arranging valuations, and whatever else is required to get the property to auction. The property auction is usually handled by agents local to the property.
    So finding out where and when the auctions will be held is a little difficult.

I used to do IT work for them a couple of years ago, they handle for-closures in every state, it was quite an eye-opener as to what goes on behind the scenes.

Cheers
    Tony

Profile photo of Hans BondHans Bond
    @hans-bond

Unlike in US, foreclosure sale is like opening can of worms in Australia. If you stepped into it, there is no way of turning back. The value of the sale here is much higher compared to the US as it is managed through real estate agents.

If you are really interested in buying foreclosure properties, I would suggest you to have a look into US market.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.