All Topics / Forum Frolic / Other ways to invest

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of JLJL
    @jl

So I thought I would ask what other things people are investing in at the moment.  Late last year I purchased a Pianola for 2.5k.  Just had it revalued at 8k.  It came with a cabinet and rolls which aren't included in the new valuation and so I am pretty chuffed.  The best thing is that we bought it for lifestyle reasons.  I had done my research and did look for numerous years before we found this bargain, I just didn't expect it to be so good.  So what are others investing in other than real estate and shares?

Profile photo of RodneyHRodneyH
    @rodneyh

At the moment, I'm about to "invest" in an LPG conversion for my Ford Falcon. At 800 dollars after government rebate, I'll earn that money within 10 months at my current level.

Once you factor in the rising costs of petrol that are going to continue, you make money by saving money every week.

It's not really what you are talking about, but still, I'm considering it as an investment. Good to get in before Rudd takes away the rebate (possibly next financial year?).

Profile photo of tam32tam32
    @tam32

another way of investing to generate cashflow from your property is by writing covered calls.  a very safe and easy stock market strategy that will generate about 2-4% on your investment each month.   eg:- say you have $50000 equity in your investment property take it out an make it work for you. on $50000 you would return around $15000 a month. 

Profile photo of JLJL
    @jl

I'd like to earn $15k a month for a $50k investment.  Where do i sign up? 
    I assume you mean $1500p/m.
    Please explain what a covered call is for all of those that are ignorant – like myself? How does it work?
    Thanks,
    JL

Profile photo of James_JohnsonJames_Johnson
    @james_johnson

Don't think you will get a helpful reply to that question somehow JL…

Profile photo of Michael 888Michael 888
    Participant
    @michael-888

In this market volatility unless it is on stocks/shares you already own………I personally wouldn't bother. All you need is for some bad news to come out of Wall Street and our market will haemorrhage at next open. Stocks gap down by 5-10 % thereby wiping out your premium received.

There are better times to be doing this and current volatility does not bode well for such a strategy especially if ,as suggested by tam32, the funds used are off a LOC or similar at circa 9 % .

For me my property radar is on for more opoortunities in the 6-12 months and in the meanwhile cash is king. My term deposit rates are nearly 1 % higher than the highest of my fixed rate IP loans.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.