All Topics / Help Needed! / How to Buy Second House?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of mookimooki
    @mooki

Hi all

I bought my first property a couple of years ago and have been living happily in it ever since. However I feel it's time to get my butt into gear and buy my 2nd property (for renting out).

My house has gone up approximately $150 – $200k since I bought it, so I have a lot of equity, but I'm just not sure how to use this. How do I buy another place with this equity? And what is the most affordable way of doing this?

I just don't think I'd be able to afford to borrow a huge amount of money, as I'm still paying off my first mortgage.

Sorry to ask such a basic question, I just want to make sure I do things right.

mooki

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Hi Mooki

There are a few ways to do it, but one of the best is to set up a LOC (Line of Credit) on your existing property and to use this as deposits and costs for the new one.

e.g say your house is worth $400,000
    80% is $320,000
    But you have a current loan of, say, $200,000
    This would mean a LOC of $120,000 could be established (subject to serviceability etc).

You then buy a $200,000 property.
    20% deposit is $40,000 and 5% costs $10,000 = $50,000. This would come from the LOC.

You would then go to a bank, maybe a different one to your current lender and borrow 80% of the purchase price, $160,000.

So for this new investment property you would have borrowed 105%, have 2 loans (both deductible) and would have both properties stand alone, not cross collateralised.

You would then have some spare equity in the LOC and will be able to borrow IP expenses from this account, saving your cash which can be used to pay down your home loan first, increasing your deductions. You will also have some left over for the next IP.

After a while you can increase your LOC, as values rise, and repeat the process. Furthermore, you may be able to set up LOCs on each investment property as they grow and buy even more properties even quicker.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of TranceTrance
    @trance

hey Terry,

I send you an email mate, if you could reply to that that would be super! :)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.