All Topics / Finance / Construction Loans

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile photo of MBullyMBully
    @mbully

Hello All,

Hoping you may have some comments on the best way to start building a new home.

We currently own our home we live in but want to buy land and build a house.

We are looking for the best way to finance to this project.

We need to finance the purchase of land first then finace the building of the house, then sell our house which will cover all the costs.

But how do we do this, as all the money is tied up in the house we are living in.

We have been suggested to use a construction loan but I have not heard of these before and do not know the pro's and cons.

Can anyone suggest the best way to go?

Thanks Mark

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Mark

Before I provide an answer can you clarifiy the situation:

1) Will the land and subsequent construction be for a property to live in or rent out.

If it will be a PPOR do you intend to sell your current property.

Reason i ask is in relation to the Tax deductability of the interest charged on the construction loan.

If this is for an owner occupied property the interest will not be deductible.

Assuming all things being equal then normally your mortgage broker would make application for a loan to cover the land purchase and then stage payments to cover the construction. Interest would be charged on the drawn balance so your repayments would increase as the home gets closer to completion.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Who is your current loan with?

You could probably use that home as additional security to borrow the lot. Then when the money from the sale is released put the excess funds into the loan or an offset account.

St G also can do construction loans on their 100% product.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Terry/Richard, if the land is for a PPOR and you borrow against the current house to fund purchase/construction then relocate to the new PPOR, will the interest on the loan on the old PPOR (now an IP) be claimable or is it better to sell the old PPOR and have buy a new IP (esp if there are CGT implicatations in selling the old PPOR)?

Participant
    @qlds007

SNM No unfortunately it will not be deductible hence my word of warning.

Choices would be:

1) Do nothing and the interest is not decuctible and the rent is taxable.
    2) Sell the property and use the cash to fund the construction.
    3) Sell the property into a Trust structure and borrow 100% of the Transfer value.

Profile photo of Pat5Pat5
    @pat5

Hi Richard and Terry

I am a newbie to this forum and have tracking your comments with great interest and appreciation, thank you for donating your time and expertise (which is no doubt subject to me getting my own independent advice) 

It is hard to know the right questions, and at the risk of asking for too much…I would appreciated your comments on my situation, which  is:

Have a discretionary family trust already set up
    PPOR with 80% LVR more than 50% for investment purposes with lender A 
    PPOR borrowings $575k – split into LOC and Var
    Have an IP with LVR of 60% with lender B
    IP borrowings $264k – LOC
    Rental income $250 pw
    Avoided the danger of cross collaterialising by using two lenders

We have an investment which gives us an independent income stream of $47k p.a.
    Self employed for 18 months; ABN and GST registered…earn $48k pa and will be increasing gradually
    My wfe is PAYG earning $52k pa
    Credti cards of $12k which we totally clear each month
    No dependents
    No debt other than the home loans with St George Portfolio Loan  (PPOR) and ANZ Breakfree LOC (IP)

Considering refinancing PPOR to CBA with fixed loans and with our IP stying with ANZ but switch to fixed loans.

Our overall objective is to build up a property portfolio, so:

What is the best loan structure for now and for the future? 
    (Is it worth selling our PPOR to our trust in some way).

Pat

Profile photo of MBullyMBully
    @mbully

Hi Richard,

Thanks everyone for comments.

We own our current house outright we have 200k invested in short term investements with Police and Nurses (funds from deceased estate).
    I have spoken with a broker who recommend a 4 month line of credit for the purchase of the land at 8.93% which we use some of the investment money to offsett the payments.
    Then when the construction part happens use a bridge loan to take over the line of credit at 9.28%, we would place all the investment money into the construction loan to minimise the interest, this will actual give us a better return on our money because of the savings off the interest,  then on sale of our current house pay out the whole loan within the 12 month period.

After this process we should hopefully get our investment money plus some back out and then look for a better return on that money again.

This sounds feasible and works with our mindset, BUT is this a good thing.

Hope this makes sense, we will be putting a offer on the land in the next few days.

Any last comments.

Thanks heaps Mark

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Hi Pat

You have set it up similar to the way in which I would do it for myself.

I would have IO variable loan on my home loan with a 100% offset account attached. All wages and rents and spare cash should go into this. Use credit cards with points to pay for everything and this will keep your money in your account longer, saving more interest.

Then, if there is equity, set up a LOC for this. This LOC should only be used to borrow deposits and costs. I would also borrow for all ongoing costs for the investments from this (rates and insurances etc). This will free up more cash to pay into the offset saving you non-deductible interest.

Furthermore you should talk to your accountant about borrowing to pay the interest on your investment properties.

For the investment properties, I would get an IO loan. As the values increase I would look at getting a LOC on any equity.

If you are self employed, look at borrowing all business expenses freeing up even more cash to pay off your home loan. Have a look at the latest newsletter at http://www.bantacs.com.au for information on doing this.

Whether it is a good idea in selling your PPOR to a trust will depend on the current loan on this property and whether you wish to continue to live in it.

For future properties, use the LOC for the 20% deposits and costs and then get the remaining 80% as an IO loan.

Once the PPOR loan portion is paid off keep on using IO loans with a offfset account attached to one of them. Never pay down debt.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Mark

I think i would be switching brokers immediately.

Firstly be very careful in using a Line of credit with an investment loan and paying funds into the account to offset the interest.
    Simply dont do it.

Why invest funds on a short term deposit account unless you must live off the interest. It is likely you are receiving somewhere in the region of 6-7% Gross where you could easily be getting 8.27% Tax free and all of the funds at call.

As for bridging finance i cant think of a more expensive way to go.

I go back to my initial comment with advice like that i would be switching brokers as your current broker clearly has no or very little idea about investment structuring.

Participant
    @qlds007

Pat

Terry is correct as always however there are just a couple of additional points worth mentioning:

1) I would assume you have probably taken the Anz Bank Lodoc 60 product due to your LVR. Even though you have been self employed for a year you could have raised this to 80% quiet easily. This would have freed up more available equity in your Line oF Credit

Also not a great lover at all of having a LOC on your IP unless it is to fund deposit etc.

You could take the Anz Bank 1 Year fixed rate and still get 100% offset.

2) Again watch the LOC on your PPOR even with the SGB Portfolio product.
        My preference like Terry's is an interest only loan with 100% offset.

Be careful using SGB Advantage Pro Pack for any other purchases as it is a condition that all loans within the package are cross collateralised.

3) I like the Discretionary Fmaily Trust structure but remember it has negative gearing limitations.
        If you intend to use it for IP's then work out the numbers before signing the contract.

Your broker should be able to do it for you but unless he is experienced I would check the figures yourself.

Profile photo of Pat5Pat5
    @pat5

Hi Richard and Terry

Thank you very much for your respective comments…greatly appreciated!!

Shall read again when things are not so hectic on the work front and digest…

Pat

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.