All Topics / Help Needed! / Tenant or insurance pay for questionable storm damage

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of MacnattMacnatt
    @macnatt

HI there,

I am in a quandry my tenant called the property manager to say one of our windows leaked in a recent storm causing the Timber Laminate flooring to Swell and buckle.

This may seem straight forward but this house was built in 2001 and I lived there for 5 years and the window has never leaked. Also the window faces east and in Perth the rain comes from South or West. There are French doors on the western side of the house that leak a little during a really heavy rain (but never enough to damage the floor) and it seems this downpour which I have been told by the property manager that was near on cyclonic seemed to have completely missed them.

I believe that the window has been left open in the storm causing damage to the floor. How on earth can I prove that? I can't imaging a leak around a window frame would case a large puddle enough to damage flooring.

I am not sure whether to just have my Prop. Man. hand it over to insurance and I have to pay the excess and fix the phantom leak.  Or should I call the tenants on it. The property manager is going to have a look at the "leak" and damage tommorrow but I am not convinced she would know how to check if the window was leaking.

What would you do???
    Nat

Profile photo of LinarLinar
    @linar

Hi Nat

I would claim it on the insurance.  The insurance company will send an assessor around and will then tell you whether it was from a leak or from the window being left open.  If the assessor says it is not from a leak then get the tenants to pay for it.

Easy done!

Cheers

K

Profile photo of JULES1JULES1
    Participant
    @jules1

Hi McNatt
    I have a situation where a recent storm caused damage on the roof and gutters which resulted in flooding in the house and I lost some of the carpet as well.   The insurance company will not pay up for any damage on the roof, gutters, or inside the house.     Insurance Companies!!!!  – we have been paying for 30 years and getting nothing from them.   Obviously I will not be renewing with that insurance company when the insurance contract expires.  

So in your circumstance, I would suggest that you are on site when the insurance rep comes out to assess the damage, just to show a prescence and to try to get the assessor to be at the very least – reasonable in his/her assessment.
    Best of luck with it
    Jules

JULES1
    Email Me

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.