All Topics / Finance / purchasing with a Trust or own Name!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Profile photo of PosEnterprisesPosEnterprises
    @posenterprises

I heard that if you borrow for IP's in a Trust Structure there a limited Lenders who will deal with you.  But if you buy in your own name you have alot more choice.

Is it best to buy your first 5 properties in your own name then after you have built up some equity you should then buy in a Trust Structure.  Or is there another way, i am thinking long term so i can protect my assets for the future and then pass onto family beneficaries also.  any thoughts on this from Brokers?

Profile photo of joelcjoelc
    @joelc

Morning!

I'm not a broker but if your investing with this reason in mind; "i am thinking long term so i can protect my assets for the future and then pass onto family beneficaries also"  then a trust structure with a corporate trustee is the way to go.

If you purchase in your own name then it's just another asset that can be taken away from you.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hate to disagree but there are many lenders who are totally ok with a variety of Trust structures.

There are many Brokers however who do not understand these structures and therefore try and persuade you to purchase in your name.

Depending on your own situation and your eventual goals will determine what structure is right for you.

A good mortgage broker should be able to assist you further with this.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

There is only one product with one lender that i can think of that is not for trusts (ANZ Low Doc), other than that you should not have problems getting finance with a trust structure.

I personally would not buy anything in my own name. Even when I go to Mcdonalds I buy a big Mac as trustee for the …….

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of PosEnterprisesPosEnterprises
    @posenterprises

Is it true that the finance is higher if you borrow through a trust though? 

Profile photo of PosEnterprisesPosEnterprises
    @posenterprises

Sorry to be a pain again, Thanks Richard for the advice.  I spoke to one Broker who said it is costly to maintain the Trust with Corporate Trustee etc.  Advised me to buy a few IP's in my own name then later on buy in Trust Structure.  what I am ultimately trying to do is purchase another PPOR with as little as non-deductible debt on it as possible as i don't like paying interest on something that i can't deduct for invesment.  So i am trying to seek the right advice to set up my portfolio so if i sell my existing PPOR to the Trust i will have to pay Stamp Duty which is okay but as i understand it.  I can then free up more equity to put down on a deposit for my new PPOR if that is correct.

As i am waiting for growth to happen on my properties it may be 2-3years away before i can purchase another IP or even a new PPOR.  I just want to get it right now so i don't have problems in the future. 

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

You can sell your current PPOR to a Trust structure for current market valuation borrow 100% of the purchase price and then the surplus funds (being the difference between your loan and the loan balance owing in your own personal name) can be used as deposit for your new PPOR.

Other than an additional Tax return there is no more cost for buying in Trust. With a Corporate it is another TR and ASIC Filing fees. Land Tax dependant on the State may differ. Hardly an arm and a leg for protection.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of frosty1frosty1
    @frosty1

HI ALL,

i have been interested in the 'trust verses own name structure' for a while now and i am still unsure what is best.

does anybody know anyone that has actually been sued and lost their properties or assetts?

in a trust property expenses and losses cannot be claimed against personal income.

who else would you want to pass income to through the trust other than your spouse or your children?

children can only receive $500 or $600 without paying tax and then they pay very high tax there after.

if your spouse is a low income earner, positive geared property or close to, could be bought in her name.
    or, negative geared property could be bought in your name if you are the higher income earner.

sometimes the tax advantage can be better if bought in your own name, don't you think?

what do people think?

thanks,

frosty.

Participant
    @terryw
    PosEnterprises wrote:
    Is it true that the finance is higher if you borrow through a trust though?

No

Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Participant
    @terryw
    frosty1 wrote:

HI ALL,

i have been interested in the 'trust verses own name structure' for a while now and i am still unsure what is best.

does anybody know anyone that has actually been sued and lost their properties or assetts?

in a trust property expenses and losses cannot be claimed against personal income.

who else would you want to pass income to through the trust other than your spouse or your children?

children can only receive $500 or $600 without paying tax and then they pay very high tax there after.

if your spouse is a low income earner, positive geared property or close to, could be bought in her name.
    or, negative geared property could be bought in your name if you are the higher income earner.

sometimes the tax advantage can be better if bought in your own name, don't you think?

what do people think?

thanks,

frosty.

Plenty of people get sued every day of the week. Now I know probably 3 people about to go bankrupt. Once someone gets a judgment against you they can start proceedings to enforce it. They can get a court order, easily, to seize your property (car, goods etc as well as land), garnish bank accounts. if that is still not enough, they can easliy make you bankrupt if the debt is over $2500 (approx). They can't take assets that you do not own – unless you have transfered them recently etc to defeat creditors (eg selling your house to your wife a few months before going bankrupt).

A trust is a separate entitly, for tax purposes, and so any expenses can only be claimed by the trust. If there is a negative geared property in the trust, on its own, then there may be a loss which cannot be offset against your personal income. So this is a disadvantage early on.

other than your spouse and children, there is that cousin who goes to uni and doesn't earn an income – $10,000 pa tax free you could distribute to. If you have 10 of these family members, that is $100,000 income potentially tax free. There is also the possibility of distributing to a company – so when you are earning heaps and pay 48% tax, you probably don't want any more income so you distribute to a company which pays a max of 30% (if you have no other lower income tax pays to distribute to).

Children under 18 can earn approx $1200 pa without paying tax -taking into account rebates etc.

You could put a postive geared proeprty in the non-working spouse's name, but using a trust would make it much more flexible as the income could be diverted to a whole range of people – eg the spouse may go back to work and have a high tax rate. Trusts allow you to change things around.

Tax adantages can be higher in your own name initially, but you are sitting on a time bomb as the purpose of property is profit. Rents will rise and there will be a large capital gain eventually.

Email Me

@frosty1

terryw,  thanks for your reply.  it's great to hear your views, i'm still learning.

i think people at high risk would be people that work for them selves,in private business, doctors, surgens, etc.
    i'm not sure of the risk for people who work for wages and that have car and property insurances for liability.( landlords insurance etc. )   is this still too risky?

is your theory with a cousin for example, one where you could distribute money to them tax free and then have the money returned to you for your own purpose.   so the cousin is just doing you a favor?.   and maybe reward them some way, with some money to a lesser value as what the tax would have been.   or do you just give it to them as a gift?.

which rebates would allow a  $1200 pa payment for under 18's , to be tax free?

i just thought if a non working spouse went back to work, they would be in a position to then buy another property negative geared.    this would perhaps neutralise tax she would be paying from the positive geared property/s.
    same goes for the higher wage earner that has a neg geared prop that is turning into a pos geared prop.    they also could buy another neg geared prop to neutralise or off set any tax.  ( as you said, the tax advantage may be higher initially.   this theory should keep the advantage all the way through.)
    as this goes on they are building a bigger property portfolio, their purpose of property is profit in the form of equity building.
    would this theory be good for building a passive income for retirement?,  or could you choose to only sell some when you retire or when you are not earning a large income, and not have to pay as much CGT?.

could you please comment further on any of this terry.
    thanking you,
    frosty.

Participant
    @terryw

Hi Frosty

Wage earner's could still be sued. One of my friends went crazy on her credit cards. She is being sued by various banks and will lose all her properties. If they were in a trust they would have been safe. Or you may have had some a drink and then have an accident, insurance may not cover you if drinking etc. And then there is the famous story about someone being hit in the head by a golf ball during a charity event. Insurance didn't cover the course during the charity event and the individual was sued.

If you distribute money to people from the trust they must declare the money as income, so you will need to liase with them about it. What compensation you give them is up to you and your situation. I have various relatives which I could use and don't because of the complexity, but it would be possible.

You could keep on buying negative geared properties to offset any positive geared income from other properties. But it would be a time bomb as rents would be continually rising. You may never need to sell, you could just keep borrowing and lving on equity, but your heirs may have to pay CGT eventually.

With a trust there is an 80 year life so you will eventually have to sell their too. But 80 years is a long time.

The ATO website is down atm, so I am not sure about the kids income, but it was approx $1200 last year.

I did find these legal cases on Trusts and the taxation of children 
    FCT v Whiting (1943) 68 CLR 199 
    Taylor v FCT (1969) 119 CLR 444 
    Truesdale v FCT (1970) 120 CLR 353 
    Hobbs v FCT (1957) 98 CLR 151

Email Me

Participant
    @terryw

The ATO site is back up

http://ato.gov.au/individuals/content.asp?doc=/content/20046.htm

Income of individuals under the age of 18

Email to a friend

Printer friendly format
    Decrease font size
    Increase font size 

Warning: This information may not apply to the current year. Check the content carefully to ensure it is applicable to your circumstances.

Income of minors

A minor is a person who is under 18 years of age. Special rules apply to the income of minors.

Under these rules, certain types of income received by minors may be taxed at higher rates.

However, minors who are residents of Australia do not have to lodge a tax return if they earn less than $1,334 in 2006-07. This is because the low income tax offset of $600 offsets the tax payable on income less than $1,334.

Email Me

@frosty1

Hi Terry,   thanks for the response again.

someone that goes crazy with credit cards possibly wouldn't be good with investments, as you need to be disiplined with money to do well.

also, in this day and age, drinking and driving is something that should be kept under control to be successful in more ways than one.
    i do understand there will always be some risk to a certain degree.

if you had money you had to  distribute in a tax effective way, you could always off set it with another investment property, that way you wouldn't pay any tax on it at all.

not sure how a time bomb would result from rents continually rising as this once again could be off set by buying another investement property.  this would result in a growing investment property portfolio, being the desired result for many.
    this could continue untill you wanted to cut back on working for wages.  stop buying properties to offset the positive gearing effect and start to live off the properties income.   eventually living off a passive income.     to speed things up a little you may want  to sell some properties to pay down some debt  on others.    the tax you pay on a capital gain might not be too much if you have stopped or cut back on your working wage.  

being in personal names also gets you a 50% discount on capital gains tax ( held longer than 12 months ), something that companies don't get.  ( not sure if trusts do, don't think so though ).

the tax advantage you get along the way, if held in personal names, is helpfull in building up a portfolio quicker.
    its nice to not only have yourself and the tennant paying for your properties but also the tax man. ( depreciation claims, etc.)

i still find it hard to determine the best ownership structure as many experts favor different ways,  and all have good reasons, for and against each way.

i have read many property investments books including Steve Mcknights, Michael Yardneys, Margaret Lomas, and many more and all seem to be very successful people.  many have made it and with very different investment methods including ownership structures.

kind reguards,
    frosty.

Participant
    @terryw

You just have to work out what is best for your situation. And go with what suits you.

Trusts don't pay any tax (unless the income is not distributed), they just distribute income to the beneficiaries. So if a CG is distributed to an individual they would be entitled to the 50% discount (if asset held for more than 12months). If to a company, then no discount.

Email Me

Participant
    @terryw

Frosty

You may also want to look at salary sacrifice too if you do not want to use a trust. see http://www.bantacs.com.au/newsflash/current_issue.pdf

Email Me

@frosty1

thanks terry,

interesting reading.

frosty.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.