All Topics / Legal & Accounting / PPOR in Trust question

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of moyjosmoyjos
    @moyjos

Hi all, I am a long time reader but first time poster.

This is my situation:

1. Defacto husband and I both have ABN's and run profitable businesses.
    2. Hold PPOR in joint names (Value $275K Loan $186K)
    3. No other debts

My question is:

Can we set up a trust or company that will:
    1. Own the PPOR (and claim the interest as an expense)
    2. We would then rent the PPOR off the trust at market value
    3. Own/run the businesses and pay us a weekly wage each (smallish award wage stuff)

Looking forward to your comments
    Sue

Profile photo of andymooseandymoose
    Participant
    @andymoose

Hi Moyjos,

I know that if you transferred the property into a trust name (from you personally) you would incur the normal stamp duty on the value of the property…(same as if your selling it)

In a company name, Im sure the stamp duty would be claimable through the business, but I dont think it is through a trust (??).
    Best advice to give you is find an accountant that deals with trusts & companies. I found a good one a while back & has been great for setup & advice…

cheers, Andy

cheers

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Yes, but you would lose the CGT free status of your house, have to pay stamp duty on the transfer and land tax each year (possibly). The house may be negative geared initially, but this will change as rents increase so you will be paying extra tax that you would otherwise not have had to pay

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of LinarLinar
    @linar

If you sell your PPOR to a trust, depending on the sort of trust you will get the 50% CGT discount provided you own the property for more than 12 months.  If you sell your PPOR to a company then there is no 50% discount on the eventual sale.  As others have said, you will also have to pay stamp duty on the transfer to your chosen entity.

A company can certainly pay your salary.  I'm unsure whether a trust can, other than via distributions.  You would have to get financial advice on that one.

We have a discretionary trust and a company as trustee for a separate trust.  The company does property development and our salary is paid from the profits.  Our discretionary family trust is for buy and hold property.  The only property we have left in the family trust is the place we live in.  Legally it is not our PPOR.  We rent it from the trust at market rent.  Normally I wouldn't recommend this, mainly because of the CGT issue.

We, however did this for a number of reasons:

1.  Being able to claim the interest on the loan as an expense.  The "losses" are carried over by the trust until the trust makes a profit.  We also sharetrade in the trust and have sold off a few properties which we have been able to offset against the losses. 

2. The place we live in is on 50 acres. On a PPOR you only get the CGT discount on the house and surrounding 2 acres (or hectares, I'm not sure which).  That means that on the eventual sale we will have to pay some CGT anyway.

3. Asset protection.

You will need to get proper financial advice to see if what you propose will benefit you.  We incur substantial "losses" by renting this property and we are far more financially better off than if we owned this place as our PPOR.

Cheers

K

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Good points Linar. And you could still have a main residence rented out elsewhere, CGT free.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.