All Topics / Finance / how did Steve McNight finance his properties?

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 38 total)
  • Profile photo of mikekingmikeking
    @mikeking

Howdy all,

I'm fairly new to this site, so have loads of questions, but have one or two that I'd like to get answered now.

I've read Steve's first book, and although its old now, I'm still interested in how Steve managed to use his $10,000 that he and his partner had in cash to start investing and then go on to 130 properties in 3.5 years. How does he finance his properties now? does he have hundreds of loans or one or several?

I'd also like to know how (and if) you can get 100% finance (without using equity in your own home) and what the disadvantages are (if its possible).  I'd also like to know what the benefits are of buying property through a trust rather than in your own name.

Also, why is it that every property investment guru sets up a website, and then has various products for sale (and all seem to be at greatly reduced prices e.g. not $2,300 but only $695 now) at what I would call expensive prices?

Cheers
    Mike

Profile photo of pete7pete7
    @pete7

hi mike – with regards to using no equity form your own home – i'm certain this CANT be done as the financier – whoever it may be – would want some security of some sort – especially on 100% borrowings for another property? this is why there are LVR'S in place – as others who read this may confirm.

cheers
    pete7

Profile photo of trakkatrakka
    @trakka
    mikeking wrote:
    I'm still interested in how Steve managed to use his $10,000 that he and his partner had in cash to start investing and then go on to 130 properties in 3.5 years.

I wondered the same thing. I think that a lot of it was done by creating lots of different Trusts, and using their personal incomes to guarantee loans in Trust A, then when they reached servicability limits, they start Trust B, and don't declare the loans taken out by Trust A. See this thread for my queries about this a few months ago: https://www.propertyinvesting.com/forums/getting-technical/finance/4322235

mikeking wrote:
    I'd also like to know how (and if) you can get 100% finance (without using equity in your own home) and what the disadvantages are (if its possible).

You can borrow up to 106% LVR with some lenders; disadvantage is the interest rates and fees are usually much higher. Otherwise, as you said, you use equity in your PPR or other IPs to borrow 100%.

mikeking wrote:
    I'd also like to know what the benefits are of buying property through a trust rather than in your own name.

The benefits are asset protection and possibly taxation. With regards to asset protection, if somebody in a property owned by a Trust falls over and breaks a leg and sues you and wins a judgement, you could possibly lose the Trust assets but your personal assets (eg, usually your PPR) are quarantined (provided you have a corporate trustee). Tax-wise, if the Trust assets are positive cashflow, you can distribute profits to the lower income-earning partner. The disadvantages are that you can't distribute a loss from the Trust, so you can't take advantage of negative gearing benefits, and there may also be land tax implications. It's also easier to transfer ownership of assets in a Trust – your kids can have them after you pass on, for example, simply by substituting trustees – no CGT implications.

mikeking wrote:
    Also, why is it that every property investment guru sets up a website, and then has various products for sale (and all seem to be at greatly reduced prices e.g. not $2,300 but only $695 now) at what I would call expensive prices?

Not "every" guru does this, but I imagine it's because they are entrepeneurial. The heavily discounted prices is marketing fluff! Some of them have excellent products, some of them are not that useful. As with buying property, you have to do your research and choose carefully.

Profile photo of CattleyaCattleya
    Participant
    @cattleya

Hi there…

I also read Steve's book a long time ago and thought it was .. basically, crap. Sorry Steve….

I understand that Steve probably uses a lot trusts like Trakka said. But isn't that illegal? I mean, he gets lots of loans without declaring all his financial liabilities. Way too risky / daring for somebody like me. So while this method works for him, I think it is not for me… hence there's very little new knowledge I got from the book.

For property valuation, gearing, etc… I already know as I'm an accountant. The thing I need to know is financing. And given the suggested way is, prima facie, dishonest and could back fire… I dismissed this as crap and passed his book to another friend.

For all out there… if what I think is wrong, please enlighten me. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Cattleya.

Cattleya

Here to learn the ropes of property investing & share knowledge, not trying to sell anything at all.

Profile photo of mikekingmikeking
    @mikeking

I tend to agree with you cattleya, I think the method that trakka describes above using various trusts to fund the investments is unethical. I also suspect that finding positively geared properties is almost impossible in today's world, unless you have the cash up front for a sizable deposit.

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie

Steve; get out here and answer this question.

I can tell you one thing about TRUSTS though; they are good for sheltering the properties and you from litigation, but there are limited tax breaks from them, unless you already have other income going into them from other sources; a business etc..

If you have earned income, which you will be paying tax on, you cannot offset the tax deductions against this earned income tax if the properties are owned through a trust – I think. Correct me if I'm wrong other knowledgeable persons. Terry?

So, if you have lots of taxable income, it is probably better to hold the IP's in your own name to minimise this tax, and take out suitalble insurances to protect yourself.

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

**Sigh**

What spend time answering posts where people show no respect and demand action?  Yeah, that's how I'll pick posts to reply to!

There's no point convincing people that things can and are done, when they already believe that it can't.

The simple fact of the matter is that I never borrowed more than 80% of the purchase price.

How? Well I didn't refinance equity. And I didn't use unethical methods to obtain finance.

However I did:

* Sell property to convert unrealised to realised profits, and reinvest the difference
    * Use a standard accounting structure to protect my assets
    * Fully disclose all details to financiers

Enough said.

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

@mikeking

Thanks for taking the time to reply Steve. Sorry for being sceptical, but I guess unless we know exactly how you did it, there's an "air" of incredulity about going from 0-130 (or 260+) with very little capital up front. From your **sigh**, I assume that many people are sceptical. I am only trying to understand the process you used, unfortunately, if you can't demonstrate or explain it so we can understand it, then people will be sceptical. Your book is great in that it has evoked many thoughts in my mind, along with hundreds of questions.

If you had to calculate the equivalent amount of capital in today's terms that you started with, what would that amount be? Can you give me an example of one of the latest "positive cash flow" properties you have purchased and when?

What exactly is a "standard accounting structure"? a company, a trust? What type?

Participant
    @cattleya

Steve,

I second Mikeking's post above. I didn't mean to be rude… on the contrary, I am very very curious to learn.

Looking forward to hearing Steve's comments,
    Cattleya.

Cattleya

Here to learn the ropes of property investing & share knowledge, not trying to sell anything at all.

Participant
    @cattleya

Oh well…. that's it, Steve has left the room.

From Steve's post, I think what he says is:
    1. Steve gets his deposit from selling his existing property(ies) that's ripe for harvesting. Well, my properties are still far far away from being ripe. And the ones already ripe I don't want to sell because the exit costs are too high.
    Steve obviously has other tips in his bag to minimise these costs.

2. Steve tells everything to his financiers. Meaning he has a few mortgage brokers and the likes (eg. private investors?) who regularly deal with him and are comfortable with financing structures. So there are types of transactions that are mutually beneficial for Steve and his financiers. 

If we want to do this as well, we have to:
    a.  find a financier(s) who believes in us (Steve obviously has built and proven his knowledge, reliability and proficiency in these things for the financiers to come to the party).
    b.  find a financing structure that's serviceable to us and also profitable to the financiers.
    c. I think it is safe to say that should Steve have to go through the banks' hoops he wouldn't be able to do his 130 properties in… how many months? 3 months? Hence the thing is: you have to be creative to find an affordable sources of funding and these sources are not the conventional mortgage products currently available on the market.
    d. Steve is unwilling to explore this side, because after all it's a trade secret. Just like the Soup Nazi (Seinfeld series) never shares his recipes.

Any comments anybody? Will be greatly appreciated.

Cattleya.

Cattleya

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi,

I'm struggling at the moment on a personal level. My wife is quite ill and in hospital, and I have needed to drop everything to look after the children (and mother-in-law). I have very limited time and am trying to help with what little time I have.

The best I can do is to write a lengthy answer to this question and offer it in a future newsletter or free report.

It's not 'no soup for you', it's 'no soup at the moment.'

Regards,

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Profile photo of Alistair PerryAlistair Perry
    Participant
    @aperry
    Cattleya wrote:
    Hi there…

I also read Steve's book a long time ago and thought it was .. basically, crap. Sorry Steve….

I understand that Steve probably uses a lot trusts like Trakka said. But isn't that illegal? I mean, he gets lots of loans without declaring all his financial liabilities. Way too risky / daring for somebody like me. So while this method works for him, I think it is not for me… hence there's very little new knowledge I got from the book.

For property valuation, gearing, etc… I already know as I'm an accountant. The thing I need to know is financing. And given the suggested way is, prima facie, dishonest and could back fire… I dismissed this as crap and passed his book to another friend.

For all out there… if what I think is wrong, please enlighten me. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Cattleya.

Hi Cattleya,

If you are a small residential investor, the experience you would have had with your banks servicing criteria will have been very different to, for example, a commercial investor. Most large commercial loans are assessed via an interest coverage ratio, determined solely by the income from the property.  Given the stated returns Steve was receiving from the properties mentioned in his first book, it would be fairly safe to assume that his financier was using a similer criteria despite the properties being residential.

Regards
    Alistair

Profile photo of millionsmillions
    Participant
    @millions

Hi Steve, best wishes for your wife and your family!  Regards, Linda

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie

Steve,
    thanks for that.
    I hope you didn't think I was DEMANDING the answer; it was a tongue-in-cheek job.
    Sorry to here about your wife; I hope she gets well soon.

@mikeking

Hi Steve,

Thanks for lettings us know your situation. I certainly wish your wife all the best and hopes she's ok. Also wish you well, looking after everything.

cheers
    mike

Profile photo of blazeblaze
    Participant
    @blaze

While we are trying to know how exactly he did it, do not expect to copy his method on today practice and still achieve the yesterday result.

The forum is free and the book cost doesn't include a tutorial session. Still trying to learn from him and calling his book crap is not a very good method of learning.

It is too good to be true to invest in a book then having yourself 130 property in 1 year. When it is too good to be true most likely it is too good to be true. So believe me there is more to it.

So while we are learning the basic of it, Remember that success comes from doing things differently. It would be no different things if everyone knows everyone else's methods. However the forum is for you to share the community as much as the community has given you.

Good luck with your situation, Steve.

Profile photo of TheShoulderGuyTheShoulderGuy
    Participant
    @theshoulderguy

Steve , also sorry to hear about your wife's ill health. Property Investing will and should always take a back seat when personal health and family are involved. Hope all works out for you and yours. Bit harsh I thought to criticise someone on their success. Funny how we tend to think that they (the wealthy or successful) must have done something potentially unscrupulous to achieve their success or rate them low on the credibility stakes until proven otherwise.

Cheers

Profile photo of umeume
    @ume

hey all, just following on from mikeking's question on the benefits of trust, what about incorporating say using a Ltd. company structure, wouldn't that have more flexibility than the trust structure and at the same time giving you more control if ur the sole director?

Profile photo of umeume
    @ume

and i second madproperty that criticising someone on their success is just low… rather do something productive and positive! true that the methods mentioned in steve's book might not work/work as well in today's property markets but its not the actual method step by step u want to copy, more or rather its the way of thinking and the foresight you want to learn… sigh  life is too short to be skeptical

pat

Profile photo of C2C2
    Participant
    @c2

Hi All,

I think you will find that Steve along with his business partner developed a plan of buying properties that were either basically cash flow positive, were bargains that could be easily be resold quickly after minor renos etc.

They used what could be considered a very small deposit by todays standards and both their modest incomes to the best of their advantage.

You will find out that interest rates were quite low and the market was picking up when Steve first started to do this.

Steve has never said his plan was the best or perfect but quite a few people have followed what he said and are now quite successful property wise.  People who have attended Steve's seminars etc have received more detailed information regarding his plans and methods. 

People read 130 properties and automatically think all these properties much be really expensive etc but you will find that a lot of them were in regional areas, were very cheap but returning good weekly/monthly figures.  This coupled with either bank managers who understood what they wanted to do made the process easier for them.

If you read posts from when this site was first set up you will a lot of the information that has covered how Steve did things etc.

My suggestion to those who didn't find the answers they wanted in his book is to start using the search function here and read early posts from when this site was first set up.   I've been a member here and haven't bought any of his products etc but have received information from this site and fellow members that has enabled me to become reasonably successful  in property investing.

Cheers

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.