All Topics / Help Needed! / Negative gearing

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Profile photo of James007James007
    @james007

Hi all Happy new year!!!

I currently earn 90k a year and my partner 40K we are looking to purchase a property, i would like to purchase it in my name only for the tax advantages but cant as i need my partners income in order to obtain the loan is there a way around this leave her off the title but just on the loan docs??? if we where both on the title what would the split be in terms of tax??

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi James

Firstly Happy New Year to you and welcome to the forum.

It is a question i get asked by clients all the time and there are several correct answers.

In most cases clients prefer to still buy in joint names as the spouse likes to feel involved so we normally structure the Title as Tenants in Common with 99% of the shares being allocated to you and 1% to your wife.

This way you would claim 99% of the deductions and her 1%.

The correct structure will however be dependant on whether you have children and whether the property is negative / neutral / positvely geared together with factors in relation to your occupation and the liability of being sued.

More imformation would be required to give you a proper answer so feel free to shout if you would like further advice.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of James007James007
    @james007

We do not have kids, the property will be negatively geared likelyhood of being sued is unlikely. (Touch wood), with tennants in common  does this structure have to be set up by my accountant and how much does it usely cost.

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi,

Thanks for your post, and thanks Richard for the answer given.

Another option would be to buy the property in your own name, and have your wife co-guarantee the loan. That way her income would be included in determining how much you can afford to borrow, but title is in your name.

Since you are -ve gearing, there is limited use to family trusts, as losses in these entities cannot be distributed.

Some may suggest you consider a hybrid trust, however be aware that the ATO is looking at these very closely at the moment.

Normally, investment properties are insured for public liability and also house insurance. You may like to insure as a landlord if applicable (eg. to protect the income stream and also insure against malicious damage). The tenant normally insures the contents (since they own them).

Cheers,

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

@james007

Thanks for the reply Steve if the bank wont let my partner co guarentee the loan and we both have to go on the title is there any way of splitting the rental loss so 99% of it goes to me and 1% to my partner?

@james007

Hi guys i'm currently looking at buying in the Footscray West area has anyone bought here got any experience knowledge of footscray i'm finding it difficult to work out land value anyone got an idea??

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

James, there is no special requirements to set up TIC, it is simply a nomination on the contract of sale – speak to your solicitor BEFORE signing the contract of sale.

WRT determining land value – review all recent sales in the area (say within 1-1.5km radius), select the comparable results ie all 3 bedroom houses, then cull out the non-comparables eg full brick, semis/duplexes, off-market sales etc. This should narrow it down to 10-20 properties (hopefully less). Do a drive by each site, assess each one in comparison to your selected property – eg location, road, schools, shops, then compare land size, quality/depreciation state of building etc.

Now from the sale price deduct the cost of a similar newly built house (size, construction, no. bedrooms etc) source – Rawlinsons, improvements – garage, gardens, paths etc, add back the value of depreciation on the current improvements. This will give an approx land value – you can then calculate an appropriate range of rates/m2 for the land depending upon whether they are better or worse than your selected property.

Profile photo of tammytammy
    @tammy

on one we purchased the solicitor just hand wrote the % division against our names in the contract. That is the only place it is recorded. Have apportiotioned income and expenses according to this % at tax time. And when it is sold (for sale now) the distribution of profit will be as per the % division on the contract. Both the solicitor and the accountant tell me this is fine. Just my experience.

Cheers
    Tammy

Participant
    @qlds007

Dont want to disagree with anyone but it is the Transfer Document which is the accepted document the ATO take for deciding upon the share split where the property is held as TIC.

Putting it on the Contract does nothing.

Profile photo of CattleyaCattleya
    Participant
    @cattleya

Hi…

I third previous comments: Putting it on the Contract does nothing.

If you have the records showing you've paid 100% of all expenses, then you can claim all tax deductions. Mind you, the records must be clear.

For example, the money to pay expenses comes from your bank account, not joint account with your wife. However, the income should also go into your account, not joint or her account.

Cheers,
    Cattleya

Cattleya

Here to learn the ropes of property investing & share knowledge, not trying to sell anything at all.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

James

I think many lenders will allow spouses to guarantee the loan with one name on title.

Also you may want to consider the long term effects of your actions. If you are the owner and also the highest income earner, then what happens when you sell = you end up paying more CGT.

Your property would only be negatively geared in the first few years too, with the tax savings gradually decreasing each year as the rents increase. Once the place is positively geared you would be paying even more tax if you were the owner.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

@james007

Thanks for the responses everyone, it is more than likely that we will end up renovating the proerty after 3 or so years then moving in ourselves so we wouldnt pay CGT upon the sale of the property, theres know way it will be positive cashflow in 3 years i can assure you of that. So i'm thinking i push the bank to put the property in my name only with my partner as guarentor if that cant be done then on the transfer of land write up the % of ownership  and set up diff bank accounts for myself and partner so all the incommings and outgoings regarding the property are through my account sound write???

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

James

Are you saying you are going to live in the property? If so, negative grealing wouldn't apply? (or maybe you will move in and out before renting it and then claim the main residence exemption on CGT).

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Will the following work? Buy it in your name, wife as guarantor. You get all income/deductions/pay all costs. In 3 years, move into the property transferring 50% ownership to your wife (at nil price). Upon eventual sale, no cgt on her proportion but you will pay 3/x * MRT * 50% (discount)  for the period which you didn't reside in the property.

Would your wife qualify for fhbg if she bought a PPR?

Participant
    @qlds007

Even if James wife had never purchased a property before the fact that she is James spouse means that she will not qualify for  the FHOG on any future property.

Transfer of ownership in 3 years time brings a couple of issues:

1) CGT Trigger on original cost base. Transfer value would need to be at fair market value.

2) In certain States (Qld for one) she will incur additional Stamp Duty as the Love and Affection ruling does not apply when it is a investment property.

Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Thanks Richard, I transferred  as per #2 at minimal cost. Geez, they keep cutting out the lurks.

@james007

My other half wouldnt qualify for the fhog i have spoken to my bank manager and i can get the loan in my own name and the title signed in my name only so 100% tax deductible we plan on living in the property before we sell say in 3-5 years time so CGT sholdnt be an issue.

Profile photo of NewEntryNewEntry
    @newentry

Old post I know, but I believe if you rented it for the first 3 years before you move in you will need to apportion the CGT i.e. if you sell after 5 years total, you will pay CGT on the first three years worth of gain and not on the second two. Further I think the tax office will work it out linearly i.e. you will pay CGT on 60% of the property (as opposed to the actual CGT accrued in each year which may/may not work out better for you since in theory CGT is compounded which means lower monetary gain in the earlier years).  Getting an evalutation at the time you move in could be to your advantage here.

Moving into the property initially and establishing it as your PPoR entitles you to a 6 year period of grace where you can rent it out and then you have up to 6 years to move back in or sell it, any CGT incurred in this period is not taxable. As always check what I've said with your accountant. Of course buying it as a PPoR may reduce some of the deductability of the aquisition costs (especially if you are in canberra where stamp duty is deductable in the first year since it is on crown lease).

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

West Footscray.  It is in the critical radius of the city and has enjoyed some great gains.  I personally wouldn't want to live there due to the nature of the township at the moment.  A dear friend of mine who was living there explained that the Neighbourhood Watch newsletter was not a Microsoft Word page with two half pages detailing petty theft of coins from the ashtry of vehicles, but in fact an Excel spreadsheet printout, landscape mode, font size 8, full of stabbings, bashings with planks of wood with nails sticking out and so forth. 

This sort of thing simply needs to be factored in to your investment plan to ensure you don't get burdened with such people as tennants.  You also want to ensure the property is suitably insured!

I'd be suggesting you do some walking around the streets at several different times of day to get a feel for the area, which streets are good/bad etc, which streets already have problematic residents living there.  That sort of thing.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.