All Topics / Finance / Depreciation – old versus new property !

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of monster24monster24
    @monster24

dear all,

i am really confused with the 2.5% depreciation you can claim for new buildings (after 1987). First I have heard that number needs to be spread out over 40 years. Other told me they have claimed $6,500 p/a on a house they build for 150 K. I don't get it ! Can anyone tell me what's right? I am on a 75K p/a salary and we are building our first IP (the slab should go down next week :-)
    The building costs are 157K per contract and the IP is in my name only. What can I claim as "building allowance" (can I do that through PAYG?) and what can I claim for depreciation of the fittings, construction etc….

Thanks for your help….
    Thomas

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Thomas

Capital Works Allowance, (i.e. Building Allowance) is based on the actual construction cost of the building calculated from the date of construction.

The building allowance is either 2.5% or 4% depending on the date of construction or type of building (residential, industrial, retail, commercial). Therefore a building has either a 40-year life (40 x 2.5% = 100%) or 25-year life (25 x 4% = 100%). After this time there is no more building allowance as it has been exhausted. (Capital works over and outside the above period can be claimed i.e. new deck, patio or extensions from the date of their construction).

For residential properties, Depreciation on the building is calculated at the rate of 2.5% per year if construction started after 16 September 1987, and 4.0% if construction started between 18 July 1985 and 15 September 1987.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of monster24monster24
    @monster24

thanks richard…that helps ! hope it does not get too confusing when come to tax times. are you guys all invest into
    depreciation schedule or can I ask my tax agent ?
    Thanks again
    Thomas

Participant
    @qlds007

Tax agent wont be much help you need a Quantity Surveyor.

Try someone like http://www.depro.com.au.

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie

There is also the fixture and fittings of the building, such as dishwasher, carpet, kitchen cupboards etc.
    These all have different depreciation "lives".

For example; I think carpet has a "life" of 5 years, so the cost of the carpet is depreciated at 20% per year over the 5 years and so on.

Then there is a "pool" where a number of the items which are low cost, such as a kitchen flickmixer are all pooled together to make one amount and then depreciated.

As Terry said; contact a Quantity Surveyor who can do a Depreciation Schedule for you. The cost is around $500, is tax deductible and will pay for itself in the first financial year.

Profile photo of monster24monster24
    @monster24

great advice guys…
    thanks
    thomas

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie

Sorry people; I've done it again.

I said Terry when I meant Richard.

But they sound the same don't they? If you close one ear, whisper and mumble.

Participant
    @qlds007

No Marc I am a lot better looking !!!!!

Profile photo of Tysonboss1Tysonboss1
    Participant
    @tysonboss1

deppro are good,….

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw
    Qlds007 wrote:
    No Marc I am a lot better looking !!!!!

I dispute that!

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.