All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Benefit of trust

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of benking84benking84
    Participant
    @benking84

I am lookint purchasing a block of units with a friend, turn them into strata title and then sell off a portion of them and keep the rest as a long term investment returning positive cashflow.

I have been advised to set up a family trust or a discressionary trust as we can save tax dollars but I dont see how, we are both single, so cant siphon money out through siblings or spouses, I am thinking of just setting up a company and buying through the company as I cant see the benefit of a trust.

The company would pay 30% tax, (I am over this threashold from my income, my friend is a couple of grand short) and has the asset protection as well as the ability to lease "company cars" so we can get the benefit of that also.

We both plan on scaling back our paid jobs in the next 6 – 12 months with a view to invest full time with 3 years.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Companies don't really provide much asset protection. The shares will be owned by yourselves and if you are sued then these will be at risk of falling into the hands of creditors. A trust can help in this sort of situation

The company only provides limited protection if it is sued. eg. someone is inured on the property and they sue the owner of the unit.

Trusts also provide flexibility. You can still distribute to a company if required and cap the tax at 30%, but you also have hte flexibility to distribute elsewhere when needed – say you get married in a few years, or stop work for a year etc.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of elkamelkam
    @elkam

Also remember that companies don't get the 50% CGT reduction if you keep a property for longer than 12 months.

Profile photo of benking84benking84
    Participant
    @benking84

Cheers,

Thanks for your help.

Anybody know a property savvy accountant in Newcastle?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.