All Topics / Creative Investing / Flips- onselling a contract- how specifically?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of GennadyGennady
    @gennady

Hello There,

I have been trying to plot out a map for successfully flipping a property (assigning a contract), my income is limited so i am not planning to do any renovations. Despite the articles and books i have read i am still lacking the confidence and knowledge necessary to make this happen. These are some the ideas i'm having trouble with:

1. How do you find somebody to assign a contract to (just ads in the paper?) and how many prospects is it necessary to find?
    2. What happens if the person you are assigning a contract to bails out last minute and more importantly, how can we precent this?
    3. How do you chose an area that suits this strategy?
    4. If you are assigning the contract to a third party before settlement how do you access the property to show it to prospects , you don't own it? What do you tell the vendor and buyer about the process- they'd both be better off cutting me out and meeting each other half way on the price.
    5. I am in NSW and will incur double stamp duty- given the huge difference between the buying and selling price that is necessary to make a profit, i am inclined to ask if this strategy can still work in NSW and if anyone uses it?

Has anyone actually excercised this strategy? I would be very appreciative for any advice or direction to sources of information on this strategy. Also, i have lots of time on my hands and would be happy to take a bird dogging role in exchange for mentorship.

Thanks in advance,

Gennady

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Sounds very dangerous if you lack the funds to settle. If you sign a contract, then you will be liable to settle and would probably be sued if you cannot – in return you could sue the person you onsold the property too.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of GennadyGennady
    @gennady

I do have access to funds neccessary to settle but under very unfavourable terms.

Yes, it is a risky attempt, however, with such limited funds it is from my perspective, the best possible attempt- and i am not a very risk averse individual. This startegy only has to work once- after that i will be able to duplicate the process, and i am free to commit as much time as is neccessary to get it right. I am sure that there are ways to mitigate the risks and i'm certain that there exists a person (probably many) that have used this strategy while being in a worse financial situation than me.

Can you recommend a person/group/source from which i can learn to employ this strategy?

Gennady

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Not the sort of strategy you will read in a book or learn from a lecture.

These strategies take time to learn and understand and even when you have done your upteenth deal you are still learning.

I have done well over a dozen flips with amount well over the $5Mil mark but must admit i would have never done it as an initial sdeal if i had been risk adverse and did not have the capital to be able to settle if all went wrong.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of GennadyGennady
    @gennady

Hi Richard,

Thank you for your response.

I appreciate that it would be a risky venture and am not adverse to these risks given my current understanding of them. Would it not be fair to say that the worst that can happen is having to settle on the property?

Even though it isn't possible to learn these strategies from a book, people do manage to learn somehow. You mentioned that your initial deal was of this strategy, how did you manage learn and use this strategy for your very first deal? 

Cheers

Gennady

Profile photo of MrFairGoMrFairGo
    @mrfairgo

Hi Gennady

I am certainly not an authority in this area (but Rick Otton is) however for what it's worth I will attempt to answer your questions…

> 1. How do you find somebody to assign a contract to (just ads in the paper?)

That's one way – especially the little local rag, not a metro daily.  Bandit signs, fliers, letter drops, even radio advertising is surprisingly affordable. I have a lot of success with the public notice board outside our local supermarket.

> and how many prospects is it necessary to find?

You can only sell it once, so…  one that buys. (!)

> 2. What happens if the person you are assigning a contract to bails out last minute and more importantly, how can we precent this?

You need a contract with them.  Ask your solicitor.

> 3. How do you chose an area that suits this strategy?

Any area where you can buy a property well under market value to help the seller out of some difficult situation, and you can sell at market value from a potential purchaser.  Easiest and safest is an area where there are a lot of people wanting to buy.

> 4. If you are assigning the contract to a third party before settlement how do you access the property to show it to prospects , you don't own it? What do you tell the vendor and buyer about the process-

Access right should be a condition of purchase.  Try to get at least 30 days unoccupied access to "clean up", otherwise, put something like this in the contract:  "With 24 hours notice, Seller agrees to give purchaser reasonable right to private viewing of property for the purpose of showing potential occupiers"

> they'd both be better off cutting me out and meeting each other half way on the price.

You need a caveat.  See your solicitor.  Should cost less than $200.

> 5. I am in NSW and will incur double stamp duty- given the huge difference between the buying and selling price that is necessary to make a profit, i am inclined to ask if this strategy can still work in NSW and if anyone uses it?

Ask Rick Otton.

If you have a "purchase and sale contract" signed with the vendor, you will be liable for Stamp Duty.  No getting around it.

If you secure the property in some other way (e.g. with an option to purchase for $x in y days, and a then put a caveat on the property to protect your interests so they can't sell it to another in the meantime)  then you can sell your option to a purchaser with no Stamp Duty liability.

There will still be costs of course, but a lot less than Stamp Duty.

Hope this helps… a bit.

Profile photo of StumunroStumunro
    @stumunro

Do you guys have any stance on licensing issues? Will he have to consult a licensed r/e agent for the deals?

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Lance

"then you can sell your option to a purchaser with no Stamp Duty liability" – Regretfully this is not the case in each State.

Qld for one has no duty on Option Contracts but certainly 2 of the States I am aware of you are still charged Duty.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.