All Topics / Opinionated! / Good advice or self-interest?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Profile photo of Badgers_R_UsBadgers_R_Us
    Participant
    @badgers_r_us

I recently posted an opinion about the possibilities of a recession and the wisdom of investing at this point in time (see “The Great Property Crash”). Some of the responses suggested I was being negative with the usual diatribe about “Negative Nellies”.  I wondered if these people had hidden agendas, knowingly or otherwise.

Many of the people posting advice on this site are investors with significant property portfolios, which begs the question: can you trust their opinions or are they just self-serving because they want to talk-up the market and do their best to dispel any notions of problems on the horizon?

It strikes me that it’s not a good idea to take advice (or at least take it with a pinch of salt) from those with significant vested interests.

Profile photo of devo76devo76
    @devo76

Hello Badgers_Ar_Us. Nice to talk again. How is your day going.

To me what makes a forum is the varied opinions and responses. Who would want to read this stuff if it was all the same opinion. BORING.
    I agree that a lot of peoples responses would be waited in the direction they want. In a way they are trying to convince themselves as much as others.
    Many on this site are extremely negative.
    Some are overley positive
    I like to listen to all opinions as it helps to hear both sides of the spectrum.
    I definately wouldnt make any decision based on comments from this site alone. That woud be stupid.But i do believe many post may open your eyes to something you were not aware of that you could research further.

What i dont agree with is people attacking posts becouse it is not what they were thinking. If someone has a different opinion. Except or voice your opinion and MOVE ON

In reference to THE GREAT PROPERTY CRASH. After reading it again i still feel you went on the attack becouse people were thinking positive. Not anyone else.People were not kidding themselves about the state of the market. Most except that there are stormy days ahead. They were just saying to stay positive.Hardley a bad thing to do regardless of the property cycle.

Profile photo of Badgers_R_UsBadgers_R_Us
    Participant
    @badgers_r_us
    devo76 wrote:
    Hello Badgers_Ar_Us. Nice to talk again. How is your day going.

To me what makes a forum is the varied opinions and responses. Who would want to read this stuff if it was all the same opinion. BORING.
    I agree that a lot of peoples responses would be waited in the direction they want. In a way they are trying to convince themselves as much as others.
    Many on this site are extremely negative.
    Some are overley positive
    I like to listen to all opinions as it helps to hear both sides of the spectrum.
    I definately wouldnt make any decision based on comments from this site alone. That woud be stupid.But i do believe many post may open your eyes to something you were not aware of that you could research further.

What i dont agree with is people attacking posts becouse it is not what they were thinking. If someone has a different opinion. Except or voice your opinion and MOVE ON

In reference to THE GREAT PROPERTY CRASH. After reading it again i still feel you went on the attack becouse people were thinking positive. Not anyone else.People were not kidding themselves about the state of the market. Most except that there are stormy days ahead. They were just saying to stay positive.Hardley a bad thing to do regardless of the property cycle.

You didn't take that pill I told you to did you?
    Anyone else got something of value to add without dwelling on the positive or negative thingy.

Profile photo of mackarmackar
    @mackar

Hi Badgers r us,

interesting thread here…

Badgers…do you have anything to gain from your leanings & opinions as you seem to be crowing loud also???

I think we all push our own barrow… of some kind… sometimes subconciously maybe.

you seem to be intelligent & well informed & have opinions…that's great..

I think the funny thing about life is it takes a lifetime to run it's course.. & none of us really
    know what will happen in our tomorrows, plan for the best but expect the worst & cover yourself as well as you can….
    every now & again you have to stick your neck out…

if tortoises didn't  they'd never see the light of day.. lol…

some people will always preach "the storm is coming" …. we all know at some point it will & they will be right.. eventually… will they be the "I told you so-er's"?? maybe.. we'll see.

I say why not bask in the sun while you keep an eye on the horizon???

maybe I'll get burned who knows.. but with my positive thinking… it'll probably just be a really nice tan!!

gees I'm a funny buggar.

Mackar

@devo76

Hey  macker. Good post. But be careful,its the  (look for the ups in life) kinda posts that got him wound up in the first place.

Participant
    @badgers_r_us
    mackar wrote:
    Hi Badgers r us,

interesting thread here…

Badgers…do you have anything to gain from your leanings & opinions as you seem to be crowing loud also???

I think we all push our own barrow… of some kind… sometimes subconciously maybe.

you seem to be intelligent & well informed & have opinions…that's great..

I think the funny thing about life is it takes a lifetime to run it's course.. & none of us really
    know what will happen in our tomorrows, plan for the best but expect the worst & cover yourself as well as you can….
    every now & again you have to stick your neck out…

if tortoises didn't  they'd never see the light of day.. lol…

some people will always preach "the storm is coming" …. we all know at some point it will & they will be right.. eventually… will they be the "I told you so-er's"?? maybe.. we'll see.

I say why not bask in the sun while you keep an eye on the horizon???

maybe I'll get burned who knows.. but with my positive thinking… it'll probably just be a really nice tan!!

gees I'm a funny buggar.

Mackar

I just can't resist….

Oh my god it's like the land of the happy shiny people! Feck!!!  If you have no cynicism in you at all then you have really not experienced life. Moreover you're very likely to be a mug. That’s why they choose Beagles for animal experiments, because you can do what you like to them and they keep coming back wagging their tails.

@devo76

You no what you would get if we put these two positive and negative people together?
    A Battery. Ha ha ha.

How many negative people does it take to screw in a light bulb?
    TWO . One to screw in the light bulb and one to wonder if we will ever see a light bulb as good as the last one.

I have heaps of bad jokes. Ill shut up now.

Profile photo of dreamingdreaming
    @dreaming

Ok I read this post and although I didn't want to get involved in the whole negative- positive+ thing. But I can't help myself.

Everyone's situation in life what ever it may be, is an accumilation of their thoughts, dreams and imagination.
    You are what you think, no more no less.

I choose to look on the bright side of things, I believe things will be ok.
    But I still make my investment decisions based on research and a little positive attitude.

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie

Badgers,

Why would we give you advice out of self interest? We are not developers trying to flog over-priced properties. There are some here who have websites and products to sell, and advertise the site on their signature, but no-one directly tries to sell anything; simply we are here to offer advice, have a chat with like-minded people who are genuinely interested in property investing.

Just out of interest; how many properties have you ever bought and over what time frame? I'm not asking what you own now; just your past experience in real estate. This is critical as we get quite a few armchair experts here and when the truth comes out they haven't done anything yet; they are asking us if it's ok to go swimming, but when we say yes, these people say 'take off you rose-coloured glasses'. We can't win with these people and it is very tiresome.

Are you one of them?

There is an extremely long and boring and annoying thread on the Somersoft forum about the same topic you brought up here.

There are 2 or 3 people (probably only one with a few different names for fun  and it wouldn't surpirise me if you are that person/s here with yet a new name) who keep flogging the same topic, and numerous times the other (shiny, happy, people) forumites put forward the opposite argument, backed up by past history, trends and stats and personal experience.

These same 1/2/3 people still keep coming back with more 'yeah, but what if's' which are purely speculative as there is no crystal ball to verify what the future will bring.

Yes, there will be bad periods for real estate, shares, the economy; but we all know that, and take steps with our investing to minimise the risks. This is all you can do. The more knowledge you have, the more you can minimise the risk.

Experienced investors who have been through a few cycles can tell you that your view may be negative if they have come through those cycles un-scathed, and you should take on board what they say. You may not totally agree, but they have been there, done that and know the likelihoods.

Please don't turn this forum into the same mind-numbing diatribe I have witnessed over there for the last few weeks. You asked for opinions, you got them, if you don't agree then put forward your argument ONCE and move on.

@mackar

I reckon it's good to hear both sides of a topic if for nothing else than it sparks conversation… after a while though the same topic churned over & over also becomes diatribe,  badgers'….
    we are all aware thats markets go well  go badly…. we reaearch & have a go when we feel it is right… we don't always get it right but when we do its worthwhile.
    so thanks badgers for your input… by the way.. you didn't answer my question… what do you have to gain from your slant on life mate…???

Participant
    @badgers_r_us

LA Aussie

For the record I have not posted elsewhere.   I currently have 3 IPs (negatively geared, of course).  Previous to these I had one other I sold a few years back.  I also recently sold my stake in a company I was a partner in  (hence the time I have to carry on with this lark) and am now looking to buy one or two more IPs . Hardly a tycoon, but it's a start.

Believe it or not I'm a pretty positive person, but it amuses me to have a dig at those that love to have a go at me. Yet I don't take anything too seriously, but I do think you are very arrogant to believe that you have the monopoly on what is and is not discussed. If people want to drone on and on and be negative about what’s happening in the market then what's the problem? If you don't like what‘s posted don't participate.  Simple!  

Anyway, if you want boring have a review of all the responses to other “negative” posts. It’s always the same. And whilst you’re at it have a read of the last few paragraphs of your response and point out something that’s not been said a hundred times before on this site and others, and for that matter anthing that any idiot could not figure out for themselves (BSc in the bleedin' obvious if you ask me).

What do I have to gain out of my slant in life Mackar? For one it's a good sense of humor, because good humor comes out of adversity, not from having a nice day.  Could it be that the person you would most like to have dinner with is Ned Flanders? – now that would be an interesting thread to start. I'd have dinner with you lot and then complain about everything from the service through to the colour of the tank-tops you are all wearing!

Positive people are often disappointed and rarely surprised. Negative people are never disappointed, but occasionally surprised.
    And people never fail to underwhelm me (not my quote but I like it as more often than not it’s true).

Participant
    @badgers_r_us

PS.

And no you can't bring Tony Robinson along for dinner!

@mackar

no offence…but I reckon I'd buy you out too if I was in business with you badgers… ever thought of a career in politics as you seem to only hear what you want to hear… it's very easy to sit back & bag people…. you don't have a monopoly on that… you're quick to rush in with a hastily laid conception of people… who is it that usually rushes in..?? a  —- .
     this'll probably be my last post on this topic as going nowhere….

by the way… what's on the menu for dinner…?? I could eat a horse… think I've got the sniffles already… (bad joke … I know.)

Participant
    @badgers_r_us
    mackar wrote:
    no offence…but I reckon I'd buy you out too if I was in business with you badgers… ever thought of a career in politics as you seem to only hear what you want to hear… it's very easy to sit back & bag people…. you don't have a monopoly on that… you're quick to rush in with a hastily laid conception of people… who is it that usually rushes in..?? a  —- .
     this'll probably be my last post on this topic as going nowhere….

by the way… what's on the menu for dinner…?? I could eat a horse… think I've got the sniffles already… (bad joke … I know.)

Very bad – Diddly.

Profile photo of units4meunits4me
    @units4me

Badgers, you pose a reasonable question and I think you"ve been unfairly shot down in flames.
    It seems on these forums there 3 types of posters who…

1/   like to converse, learn and help freely, no strings attatched. OK.

2/   like to converse, learn and help freely, no strings attatched,but a link/pitch to their particular business. This is OK too.

3/   only bob up on an opportunity to plug their sometimes dodgy business. A gullible inexperienced investor could easily get sucked in to their custom and be worse off as a result.

It strikes me that it’s not a good idea to take advice (or at least take it with a pinch of salt) from those with significant vested interests.
    I would agree with that if they fit the 3rd group.

BTW I think that your statement for not buying at this high point in the cycle is sound. I've seen ups and downs and to think there will be no downs in future is naive in the extreme.
    Take no notice of your detractors and follow your gut feel. Good luck.

Participant
    @badgers_r_us

Hi Units4me.

I agree, I  certainly feel there is a small contingent that does their best to monopolise this forum for their own ends.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.