All Topics / Help Needed! / It’s time to start! I need genuine advice.

Viewing 12 posts - 21 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Profile photo of anilsood001anilsood001
    Participant
    @anilsood001
    happybronski wrote:
    Hey Lisa,

Although I don't have investment properties yet.  I believe that Defence Housing Authority is a good way to start.  As you get guaranteed rental for 12 years I think it is now.  And having worked with Defence personnel.  I know they have very strict requirements on how they must look after your property.  If you go to the Defence Housing website.  They have all the information there.  Hope this helps a little.

Profile photo of anilsood001anilsood001
    Participant
    @anilsood001

The DHA sells properties at inflated prices and what is worse is that though they give you the impression they will be paying market rents – the rent is determined 100% by them and there is very little you can do. In case after 10 years of owning a DHA property I am still waiting for a rental increase (yes you are right – same rent as 1998).  The agreement you sign with them is 100% loaded in their favour – in case when my solicitor pointed this out to me 10 years ago – I remember telling him that DHA was a Commonwealth Government Department and therefore ………. maybe I should have listened to his advice.
    If you are planning to buy a DHA property, then please for Heaven's – get some good impartial advice before you take the plunge.
    cheers

Profile photo of MasihMasih
    Participant
    @masih

1 – Buy Quality NOT Quantity.
    2 – If you wanna create wealth then go for High Capital Growth properties.
    3 – If you wanna be able to replace your income then go for Positive Cashflow properties.
    4 – Stay away from Defence Housing
    5 – Remember Law of 14. If the capital growth is 10% then rent will be 4%. If rent is 10% then capital growth will be 4%.
    6 – Higher property price = High growth, low rent
    7 – Cheap property = High rent, low growth
    8- It's the Return on your Investments that matters not how cheap the property is.
    9 – There is Cheap and then there is Cheap. First cheap = Property is cheap because there is no demand for it or something       wrong with it. Second cheap = Property is undervalued. If market price is 350k and you buy it for 300k then that is CHEAP!

Tip: New investors should always aim for capital growth over positive cashflow as the extra equity will help you build up your portfolio quicker….that's if you can afford the negative cashflow as is the case with mostly high growth properties.

Profile photo of yarposyarpos
    @yarpos

just adding a little on what Mashi is suggesting re going for capital growth,  do some research on the areas proving best/worse capital growth  (Domain has an article released by the REIV recently) before you decide where to buy.  Dont fall into just buying where you live/have lived because you think you know it,  you may miss out on useful gains.   Good luck.

Profile photo of GrantH_1974GrantH_1974
    @granth_1974

Hi Andy,

Congratulations on saving $100K – it's a great achievement  & you have obviously worked very hard for it.

You've asked for advice specifically on property so please forgive me from coming at your question from a different angle. I don't know all your goals & your attitude to risk (i.e., conservative vs aggressive), however my advice would be to talk with an experienced financial planner & get some ideas on property investing & on other asset classes as well. This would help you to understand the benefits & risks of each asset class before you invest, so you could see which suits your goals best.

For example, even just considering two major asset classes (property & shares), generally speaking:
     – direct (residential) property has less volatility than shares,
    – there is a sense of comfort that comes with bricks & mortar & being able to see & touch your investment 
    – property can produce a stable rental income
    – negative gearing on property can be used to improve your tax liabilities
    – property has high entry & exit costs
    – property has maintenance costs
    – property is illiquid – not uncommon for average settlement to be 30 days.
    – whereas shares have low entry & exit costs, no maintenance costs, very liquid (get your money in 3 days), negative gearing strategies can minimise tax, plus only shares have the advantage of imputation credits, which effectively will mean that you need a lower rate of return to break even on your investment. However, shares are generally more volatile than direct (residential) property.

Of course, if you are comfortable with only investing in property then this is an important part fo the equation as well (it's just that it may limit your options for wealth creation & tax minimisation). But a financial planner would be able to suggest a balance of asset classes that would best meet your goals. There are also cost free options to get this knowledge like this forum or for shares there are free classes on the ASX website.

Also, re: negative gearing – you mentioned spending mid-$200K. If you looked at an example where you had a $200K investment, where you borrow the whole $200K as an example & were paying the same interest rate on each loan, it might look something like this:

Property:
    Cost: $200K
    Loan: $200K
    Int rate: 9.5% (use whatever rate you like)
    Income: $13,000p.a. (rent)
    Other expenses: $3K

Shares:
    Cost: $200K
    Loan: $200K
    Int rate: 9.5% (use whatever rate you lke)
    Income: $10,000p.a. (fully franked)
    Other expenses: $0

On property, you would need 2.3%p.a. to break even; with the shares you would only need 1.2%p.a. So you get less income from the shares but this is outweighed by fully franked dividends & the attached imputation credits.

I can give you more detailed workings on the above example if it doesn't make sense. But I guess my point is just about understanding your goals, your attitude to risk, and the benefits & risks of each asset class & how each asset class can help you achieve your goals.

Best of luck with whicever way you decide to go & congratulations again building up your $100K.    

Kind regards,
    Paul.

Profile photo of DraconisVDraconisV
    Participant
    @draconisv
    Masih wrote:
    5 – Remember Law of 14. If the capital growth is 10% then rent will be 4%. If rent is 10% then capital growth will be 4%.

Where did you get this law from?? I've never heard of it before, have you got any info on it, it sounds good as I have been assuming in my calculations of capital growth 5.5% and rent 4.5%(total 10 instead of the 14).

Chris

Profile photo of postiepostie
    Participant
    @postie

Ok I have just read your post .
    I dont come on the forum very often ,
    My suggestion is to invest in a couple of books and make up your mind on your investing stratergy.
    Have you read Steve Mc Knights books ,Jan somers And Peter Spann.Also a lot of good information in API.
    When you have read these books you will understand  different statergies and be able to make the decision for yourself .
    Leanne

Profile photo of jcso99jcso99
    Participant
    @jcso99

Hi Andy,

There is some very good comments and I am going to add my two cents to this discussion.  Firstly congratulations on your savings when you are this young. When I started four years ago when I was 24, I had a small savings (more like $10k) but the first thing that I did was to chat to a good accountant to get my structure right, because I knew my long term strategy is to buy and hold, hence requiring the right structure to support this strategy. That was a big outlay back then to set up the right structure but it was the best decision that I've made. With this structure and a good team behind me (including lawyer and property managers in different states), my portfolio has expanded from one to four (increasing to five within the next six months).

P.S. I purchased my first property in south east Qld 4 years ago for around $100k.

whatever your decision is, good luck and ensure you have a panel of loyal and capable team behind you.

Cheers
    John

Profile photo of AstrawanAstrawan
    Participant
    @astrawan

Great advice there Paul – certainly help to expand my blinkered vision of investments.. btw, any advice on commercial property thrown into the mix here anyone?
    <br /:-)” title=”>:-)” class=”bbcode_smiley” />
    Astra

Participant
    @masih
    DraconisV wrote:
    Masih wrote:

Where did you get this law from?? I've never heard of it before, have you got any info on it, it sounds good as I have been assuming in my calculations of capital growth 5.5% and rent 4.5%(total 10 instead of the 14).

Chris

Michael Yardeny. My senior Manager uses Law of 15 but I like to be more conservative and use 1% less. I dont know if anyone else uses it but from the limited research and number crunching I've done on a few properties…most of the time the numbers do stack up. That's why I use it. Definitely much better to use this than wild guessing the estimations if no proper stats are available.

Participant
    @masih
    Astrawan wrote:
    Great advice there Paul – certainly help to expand my blinkered vision of investments.. btw, any advice on commercial property thrown into the mix here anyone?
    <br /:-)” title=”>:-)” class=”bbcode_smiley” />
    Astra

Only if you can handle the risks involved. Commercial property is very much dependant on the economic and business growth of that particular area, state or country. If those two are down then there will be less demand for commecial properties meaning: lower rents, longer vacancies (upto a year), low capital growth. Usually with commecial you have to give free rent periods such as 3months or 6months and maybe 1year depending how long the lease is for.

And certainly not for newbie investors. If if you have atleast 3 or 4 residentials with a good income to be able to make interest repayments without getting any rent for those long vacancies then you can give it a try.

Profile photo of madeinitalymadeinitaly
    @madeinitaly

Great advices guys. As far as reading books, I suppose i have been doing to much reading and little action here. Done Steve's books, all the Lomas one, API been a member for the last 15 months, Mk Intyre and Kyiosaki, Anthony Robbins, Trump and other less famous ones.
    Steve's recent newsletter put me off a bit, with all the interest rates-sell-everything-cash-up-for-the-time-being attitude cooled me down a bit. Also my working situation is a bit precarious at the moment. I work as a casual trainer and I usually net about 5k per month however now I have the next  3 months with no work due to school holidays. And I must admit at this very moment i am glad i don't have a mortgage or heavily negative geared. However i am going agaist my principles, I am just procrastinating…
    About shares I often think about them. I have an idea how they works but have no knowledge of the markets and I wouldn't know where to start.
    Once again thanks for your comments though
    Andy 

Viewing 12 posts - 21 through 32 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.