All Topics / Legal & Accounting / True return on interest and depreciation.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of ScottybeScottybe
    @scottybe

Hi,
    Could someone tell me please,
    If i had I/O repayments of $21000
    And Depreciation return of $6000
    And rental income of $20,500
    What amount roughly would i be able to calculate into my figures for a tax return roughly?
    I am also in the highest tax bracket!
    I am trying to work out the rough weekly cost of holding a property, i am not the best at figures yet.

Thanks.

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie

Im no accountant, so don't take this as gospel, but from memory it sort of works like this;

Say you earn $100k and pay 48.5% tax on it (Yuk!!)

Your rent is added to your earned income, which then means you have a new taxable income to pay (more than you have already).
    $100k + $20,500 = $120,500. You have already paid $48,500 in tax, the tax on the new taxable income is $58,442; you now owe an extra $9,942.

Now you subtract all the expenses for the I.P, and they are deducted at your marginal tax rate.
    Total expenses (including Loan Interest and depreciation) = $27,000.

(I haven't added other expenses such as insurance, management, maintenance, rates – I assume they are in your $6k expenses figure? If not, add them to the other expenses. If you don't know the total, we can assume a conservative 10% of rent would be the amount).

So, new total expenses is = $29,700 (including 10% other expenses)

Deducted at your marginal rate of 48,5%, you can claim back = $14,404 ($29,700 @ 48.5%)

This is deducted from your new taxable income of  $125,500, which you still owe tax of $9,942.

Your tax return should be approx = $4,462.

There is a calculator in one of the Margaret Lomas books; she has 5 books now; read them all, and the calculator can help you guestimate this figure. Or, talk to your accountant for a more accurate figure, but I think what I said was about right.

I hope this helps

Profile photo of ScottybeScottybe
    @scottybe

Thank you L.A Aussie,

Rates will be about $900
    Management i put at 10% or $2080
    Maint – well a new property, i prob wont include.

So not far off.

What if the property is in a very well set up trust? I know little about these!

Thanks, very comprehensive.

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie

Can't help you with trusts.

I guess if there is a pre-tax profit this would be a benefit as you can disribute the profits amonst the beneficiaries, and there may be some asset protection through one.

Maybe Richard or Terry could comment on that for you? Over to you, boys!

Profile photo of ScottybeScottybe
    @scottybe

I am a bit confused how you deal with Depreciation and Tax when working this out??

Here are the updated figures.

COSTS

Rates $900/ yr
    Management $2080 10% of rent
    Interest $21,000 assuming a loan of 300k @ 7%
    Insurance $1300/ yr

TOTAL = $25280

INCOME

Rent $20,800 Assuming $400/wk @ 52 wks
    Depreciation $8000 1st yr assuming nominal rate.

I know some of these figures seem impossible, but i am working on best possible scenario.
    Any other costs i may have left out that you can think of?

Cheers.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

First you work out if there is a loss (income less expenses)

Income is $20,500

Expenses
    $27,000

So there is a loss of  $6,500

This income, or loss in this case is added to your other income.

So if you earn $100,000 pa (after other work deductions), then your new income will be $93,500.
    Your tax savings will be the tax on $100,000 less the tax on $93,500.

or, if you are on the highest rate (45% now in 2007, plus 1.5% medicare), then the saving will be $6,500 x 46.5% = $3022

And don't forget you may be able to claim travel to inspect the property, to the accountant, to the PO box, to the shop to buy things for the property etc. Also borrowing expenses.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of elkamelkam
    @elkam

Now I'm confused too. What happened to the depreciation deduction?

Using the figures you supplied in your last post my calculations would be  :-

Income from IP:   $20,500

Expenses : $900 + $2,080 + $21,000 +$1,300 =  $25,280

A before tax savings loss of $4,780 .

However the $4,780 loss + $8,000 depreciation gives you a $12,780 deduction against your other income on which you will not need to pay any tax. 

At the highest rate (45% plus 1.5% medicare) this gives you a saving of $5,942 tax leaving you a net profit of $1,162 for the first year.

BTW I 'm not an accountant either. This is just the way I would calculate it given that I don't know your other income.
    Please check my maths.

Cheers
    Elka

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.