All Topics / General Property / full-brick properties

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of aoao
    Participant
    @ao

Hi all
    got 2 quick questions:

1) what's the difference between "full brick" and "double brick"?

2) Do full-brick properties tend to get higher valuation than brick-and-veneer properties, if all other factors are the same?

Thanks a lot
    AO

Profile photo of mackarmackar
    @mackar

hi ao,
    full brick would probably mean you have a hollow brick or block which is then reinforced with reo bar approx every metre or so depending on engineers specs of course, especially when used for medium or medium/high rise construction for example & then core filled with concrete for strength… brick veneer  is a skin of bricks surrounding a timber frame… usually used for residential house construction…
    values wise I'm not sure if it values up higher or not but as 'generally' used for diffeent types of buildings (units versus houses)  will never probably get to find out as units & houses are different products

hope this helps a little

Mackar

Profile photo of ToolsTools
    Participant
    @tools

1. Nothing

2. Yes, brick houses are more expensive

Tools

Profile photo of crashycrashy
    Participant
    @crashy

Im looking at buying a house that is brick, single brick outside walls and brick internal walls. whats that called?

Profile photo of loccolocco
    @locco

Hi,

Normally it is brick veneer, where you have single skin brickwork on the outside and a timber frame on the inside.
    Double brick is exactly that, it is 2 skins of brickwork and no timber frame.
    there are pros and cons to both!!

Luke

Profile photo of aoao
    Participant
    @ao

Hi Luke
    Could you please give a little bit more details of pros and cons of both?
    I have no idea so would like to hear anything helpful!

many thanks!
    AO

Profile photo of m.pulleym.pulley
    @m.pulley

G'day AO,

Here in the west most houses are of double brick construction.
    Why?

I don't really know.

They cost more to build, hold more heat, take longer to cool down but are generally quieter on the inside.

Newer double brick houses tend to crack in the early years as the foundations settle but these cracks are not usually a problem.

In WA it is easier, in the city areas anyway, to sell a bouble brick house and you generally get a better price for a double brick house. Not sure if this is the way it works in other states.

Hope this helps a bit.

Good luck.

Mark.

Profile photo of sikdadsikdad
    @sikdad

Double brick houses are a result of a brilliant marketing ploy in the West 30 years ago where two rival brick companies convinced the people that double brick was the only way to go. If someone built a veneer home it became difficult to sell and the true value was not realised. Outside of Perth brick veneer homes are predominant and the only benefit of double brick here is we live on a sand plain.Simple pad on sand construction system. There is no difference in full brick and double brick that I know of, just terminology. I am currently building a reverse veneer for myself that is timber frame outside with weatherboard and single brick internal, simply because that is the best solar passive properties in our construction region. Luckily it is for my family or I would probably have trouble if I ever had to sell!!!!!!!!!
    Hope you are getting an idea on these construction styles AO

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.