All Topics / Help Needed! / PLease I need your help on a loan question:):):):)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of as41as41
    Participant
    @as41

Hi I am a bit confused.

I am after a loan that I can refinance at a lower rate if I need to in a few years time  (I may sell one of my IP's and use the profits to pay down the loan).
     I hav been told there may be costs associated with doing this… this this what they call a deffered establishment fee? Also does the Deff. Est. Fee kick in say if I bought a new house and then sold it the next year to pay out the loan?

Profile photo of Boshy888Boshy888
    Participant
    @boshy888

If you pay out or refinance within a specified period early,  (usually 3 – 5 years) you may be stung by having to pay a hefty fee.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Why choose a loan that you need to refinance in a few years time.

Why not look for something that is competitive from Day 1 and has all the features you are after.

Only a suggestion.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

DEFs kick in when you payout a loan in full. So if you stay with the same lender and just pay down a loan, but not pay out completely, then there would usually not be any DEF. However if your loan is fixed, there may be limits on how much extra you can pay in one year – over this amount the may charge you.

Some lenders have huge DEFs (up to 4% of loan amount), others may be much lower such as 1% in r 1, 0.8% in yr 2 etc, others just a flat fee and some don't even have them.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of as41as41
    Participant
    @as41

The reason I may need to refinance is that we are currently doing up an IP that we would like to sell in the next 12-24 months. We would like to use the profits from that to pay down the new PPOR we just bought. That will mean a refinance right? does this incure Defereed establishment feed or only if you pay out the loan in full. I also want to be able to fefinance in a few years time as we are planning to have a family. The idea is to pay as much off the loan as we can between now and then and then also use profit from sale of other house to minimise out payments as much as we can… does that make sense?

Also, The property we have bought will incur LMI of $6000. the Loan is at 85%. If we use the proceeds of the sale of the other house we could bring the loan down to below 80%  but that would mean a refinance (still with the same comapny just changing the loan amount if you know what I mean).

Profile photo of v8ghiav8ghia
    @v8ghia

If you are definately paying out and selling in a year or two, then view your loan as a means to an end, and you will need to look at the app fee, interest rate, and the deferrered charges, and discharge fees. Taking advantage of deals with lower or zero application fees, making the most of specials is a good place to start. Any loan that has a 1.5 or 2.5 % fee as a 'def' is going to cost you, but weigh that up against how much you will save on interest during the loan term if it is a cheaper interest rate. Most with higher fees want you to stay for a few years at least, so you get offered a lower rate to attract you, and the DEF fees to keep you. A lot will depend on your loan size, but it sounds like you would possibly be better off getting a deal with a flat rate discharge fee (ie regardless of loan size) but also be careful – because others also have hefty loan discharge fees as well. For example, some banks have a flat charge of $750 regadless of now many years the loan is for. Most will have some sort of fees for payout in the first year, but after that will be reduced or not apply any early fee . Check first, and do the sums. All the best with your project – sounds good.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

If you cross collateralise the properties you could have one big loan, or maybe even two splits. So if you pay one out you may not be actually exiting the loan, but just reducing it and changing securities – which may be a much cheaper fee. So it may be possible to avoid the DEF this way.

Bringing a loan down is not a refinance. Refinance is when you pay one loan out with another – nearly always with another lender.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.