All Topics / General Property / Booming exports against recession

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Profile photo of sunsetredsunsetred
    @sunsetred

Hi Guys,
    I'm only new to your forum but I have learnt a lot in a short time.
    I have only 2 IPs but am a little concerned about the talk getting around at the moment.
    A lot of people are saying we are heading for a recession, but our economy is so strong at the moment and our coal export
    is full steam ahead that it is hard to see that we could go into a recession in the near future.
    I work out at BMA, a Mine in the Blackwater area of qld.
    This Mine has spent millions on new machinery lately and so has a lot of other mines in the area, 1 hauler alone cost
    the mine 4 million, and the Olypic Dam project has recently bought 139 new 797s worth 7 million each to work there, so they must think there is a lot of money to be made.
    I would like to invite your opinion on why you think we MAY head into a recession, wouldn't our exports keep us from going under????
    People are saying that there are cycles, and that this is what happened last time but we never had the exports that we do now.
    Friends of ours are selling their IPs as they are quite sure this will happen and as much as I want to keep my IPs I don't want to risk what I have gained.
    What are your thoughts
    Regards
    Sunny

Profile photo of devo76devo76
    @devo76

I am not as clued up as some people on this forum but after hearing all the info thrown about i too believe we are heading for a recession. As for when, thats the hard bit. I believe if it wasnt for the resources boom and a few other key things we would be in one now.People are going to be for ever poping up saying its only six months away and sooner or later someone is going to be right.But remember a recession isnt the end to all life on earth. Infact if you properly protect yourself and keep your job you will be in a great position to buy bargains. recessions dont last forever.
    My guess is 2 years. The economy should hold it back until then.

Profile photo of dreamingdreaming
    @dreaming

I believe that with such an undersupply of homes being built and the lowest vacancy rates for decades that property will be more resiliant in the next recession. Like any investment you need to have plans in place to get through financially challenging times. If you sell your IP's your going to pay CG tax, the question to ask yourself, are the value of my IP's going to drop in value more than the loss you will incure through tax.
    Also what if you sell your properties next week and you miss out on some impressive gains because the recession never came?

Profile photo of sunsetredsunsetred
    @sunsetred

Hi Devo & Freeman,
    Thanks for your reply, Yeh there are a lot of ifs involved in this isn't there.
    Sometimes it hard to know what to believe,  Can I ask you guys what you mean by protecting yourself? Do you mean insurance wise or an escape plan?
    My hubby is a bit of an extreamist, if it's loking bad it's like the world will end so he's of the opinion sell as soon as it looks like the recession is coming, but I agree with you guys, I would rather have a plan in place that doesn't involve selling as the prices of houses in Rocky have gone ahead in leaps and bounds and I have great equity already after only 1 year.
    And you did make a great point Freeman which has hit home with me, I'm not sure just how far house prices will fall if a recession does hit but I think it will by far a better option to keep them if we can.
    Then again like Devo said, what if it never comes , I went through the last one and I can't ever remember a time when I thought jeez this is tough. But then I didn't have property either.
    Thanks again for your opinions and idea's
    Kind Regards
    Sunny

Profile photo of the_maddogthe_maddog
    @the_maddog

While the resource industry is seeing a huge boom at the moment, that is largely due to China's enormous growth in recent years. If China slows down their growth, even by 5 or 10% then Australia will feel a huge impact. Throw on top of that, the USA has several trillion dollars worth of debt (from the War on Terror), so they are in a high risk climate and we are intrinsically linked to the USA.

Profile photo of Tysonboss1Tysonboss1
    Participant
    @tysonboss1

Boom or recession I don't think property investors will be hit the hardest,

At the end of the day middle and lower income residential property is in my book almost defensive asset, When people run short of cash, they may cancel the family holiday to the gold coast, eat out less, buy less consumer products, but they will probally still be paying their rent, so in a resession your money is probally safer in property than in alot of other investments.

Property that can be hit hardest in an economic down turn is luxury apartments and top end homes as people will tend to trade down during a down turn there by leaving the homes at the top end of the market vacant or with much lower rental yeilds, Commercial property, if the small business renting your shop goes under, you are going to struggle finding a tenant during a down turn so it may be vacant for months, Property in areas with alot of first home owners if first home owners that have over extended them selves are forced into selling the price will fall it probally won't affect your rental yeild you just wont have any capitol growth for a while keep an eye out for good buys though.

Profile photo of devo76devo76
    @devo76
    sunsetred wrote:
    Hi Devo & Freeman,
    Thanks for your reply, Yeh there are a lot of ifs involved in this isn't there.
    Sometimes it hard to know what to believe,  Can I ask you guys what you mean by protecting yourself? Do you mean insurance wise or an escape plan?
    My hubby is a bit of an extreamist, if it's loking bad it's like the world will end so he's of the opinion sell as soon as it looks like the recession is coming, but I agree with you guys, I would rather have a plan in place that doesn't involve selling as the prices of houses in Rocky have gone ahead in leaps and bounds and I have great equity already after only 1 year.
    And you did make a great point Freeman which has hit home with me, I'm not sure just how far house prices will fall if a recession does hit but I think it will by far a better option to keep them if we can.
    Then again like Devo said, what if it never comes , I went through the last one and I can't ever remember a time when I thought jeez this is tough. But then I didn't have property either.
    Thanks again for your opinions and idea's
    Kind Regards
    Sunny

To me, protecting yourself does not mean selling your IP,s. Sure there value MAY drop but at some point after the drop they will claw back there value and then be ready for the next boom.To me protecting yourself means being able to sustain your debt in the bad times. What if interest rates rise. What if your IP,s were vacant for a lenth of time. What if you lost your job. If you can answer these questions. That will tell you if and for how long you could handle a downturn.I now little about housing in mining towns so comments on this are my personal view only.The mining boom will end just like it has in the past. But at some time in the future it will start up again. If you were lucky to get into mining town IP,s while they were really cheap then you might say bugger it. Its paid itself of plus made me a fortune, ill keep it ready for the next boom. But if you paid top dollar like many in recent times then i would consider off loading them as your money would be better spent elswhere.

Participant
    @tysonboss1

As Devo said, in a down town the game is just really survival, if you only hold one or two properties then I probally won't risk trying to time the market buying and selling, just hold on to you investments and focus building your cash flow and reducing debt,

If you have built up a portfoilo of over 3 properties and you are confident that you have built up good investing skills and are capable of forming a decent opinon of what stage the property market is at then if you believe the market has gone flat and a down turn is coming then maybe sell the properties you feel will be hit the hardest or are neg geared and  will not perform well in the coming market so that you have reduced your debt there by protecting your portfoilo and freeing up some equity ready to snatch up any good deals that will be coming onto the market duruing the down turn,

Remember a good investor is playing this game "to win", a poor uneducated investor plays the game "to not lose" so often is fearful of things such as recession's and the like. a great investor has stratergys that will build value in any economic climate,

@dreaming

Hi sunsetred,

I agree with devos comments with regards protecting yourself. Everyones circumstances are different, take me I earn an average wage but my job is very secure even in a recession I would still be in my job. So I take this into account when I work out how much equity or cash  I want in reserve for when we have a economic slow down. The good thing is everyone has to live some where so as long as your tenants remain employed during a recession things should be reasonably ok.

With regards to the resource boom I was reading an article last night about the resource boom, fat prophet stockmarket research says the party might only just be getting started. They went on to say maybe this will be a one in a hundred year resource boom? Who knows but imagine if they are right what will that do to house prices? You should check out their site great for research.

Profile photo of RaeleneRaelene
    @raelene

"I work out at BMA, a Mine in the Blackwater area of qld.
    This Mine has spent millions on new machinery lately and so has a lot of other mines in the area, 1 hauler alone cost
    the mine 4 million, and the Olypic Dam project has recently bought 139 new 797s worth 7 million each to work there, so they must think there is a lot of money to be made."

Sounds great can you count me in????

Just wondering if BMA is an Open cut or undergrund Mine??? R their any jobs for Haul truck Operators available??? A girlfriend and I want 2 be included in the resourses boom and have gone to WA to get our Dump truck tickets and are now looking for jobs, but its not as easy as 60 minutes makes it look. We r hopeful that with this higher income we can move into the property market and as long as we arn't overextnded a long and prosperous investment portfolio will be born. We r looking at property as a long term investment .

Participant
    @tysonboss1
    a free man wrote:

They went on to say maybe this will be a one in a hundred year resource boom? Who knows but imagine if they are right what will that do to house prices? You should check out their site great for research.

If you believe there will be a one in a hundred year resourse boom, buying property isn't really the best way to take advantage of it,

If you want to ride the back of a mining boom, invest in mining companies or companies offering services to mining companies.  

Profile photo of foundationfoundation
    @foundation
    a free man wrote:

I believe that with such an undersupply of homes being built and the lowest vacancy rates for decades that property will be more resiliant in the next recession.

Hi Free man,

I'm just wondering why you think there is an undersupply of homes being built? Did you arrive at this conclusion based on your assessment of all available evidence or did you read it in the news? And if you read it in the news, did you check that the source didn't have a vested interest in convincing the public that there was an undersupply?

I've looked at the stats and come up with the opposite conclusion. I asked the question "does the net household formation rate exceed the building of new dwellings?"

The recent census results certainly don't show any undersupply. To recap the relevant ones:

• Average household size unchanged at 2.6% for both 2001 and 2006 census
    • Vacant dwellings markedly increased from 717,877 (9.2% of all dwellings) in 2001 to 830,376 (9.9%) in 2006

Source: 2006 Census QuickStats : Australia

The first statistic shows clearly that the rate of construction has at least matched the rate of household formation. The second shows that the rate of construction has in fact exceeded the rate of household formation. Not only is there no undersupply, there is an oversupply based on fundamental measures.

It also shows that the 'immigration causes higher house prices' argument which resonates so well with the public is a furphy.
    It also shows that the 'State government are undersupplying land' argument is a furphy.

Cheers, F. [cowboy2]

Profile photo of runinnivruninniv
    @runinniv

Hi Sunsetred,

Just a side note.  You mentioned you are working in Blackwater.  I purchsed an IP there about 5 months ago.  Are your IP's from there also?

Was glad to read the mines are going strong there.  Took the advise of a friend who had been researching the area for a while and bought quickly…. never been there nor do I plan to go there, so always glad to hear 'good stuff' about the place. 

Cheers. 

@dreaming
    Tysonboss1 wrote:
    a free man wrote:

They went on to say maybe this will be a one in a hundred year resource boom? Who knows but imagine if they are right what will that do to house prices? You should check out their site great for research.

If you believe there will be a one in a hundred year resourse boom, buying property isn't really the best way to take advantage of it,

If you want to ride the back of a mining boom, invest in mining companies or companies offering services to mining companies.  

Hi Tysonboss1, I do invest in mining shares as I believe it's best to diversify my investments. As for what has a mining boom got to do with house prices, WA.

@dreaming
    foundation wrote:
    a free man wrote:

I believe that with such an undersupply of homes being built and the lowest vacancy rates for decades that property will be more resiliant in the next recession.

Hi Free man,

I'm just wondering why you think there is an undersupply of homes being built? Did you arrive at this conclusion based on your assessment of all available evidence or did you read it in the news? And if you read it in the news, did you check that the source didn't have a vested interest in convincing the public that there was an undersupply?

I've looked at the stats and come up with the opposite conclusion. I asked the question "does the net household formation rate exceed the building of new dwellings?"

The recent census results certainly don't show any undersupply. To recap the relevant ones:

• Average household size unchanged at 2.6% for both 2001 and 2006 census
    • Vacant dwellings markedly increased from 717,877 (9.2% of all dwellings) in 2001 to 830,376 (9.9%) in 2006

Source: 2006 Census QuickStats : Australia

The first statistic shows clearly that the rate of construction has at least matched the rate of household formation. The second shows that the rate of construction has in fact exceeded the rate of household formation. Not only is there no undersupply, there is an oversupply based on fundamental measures.

It also shows that the 'immigration causes higher house prices' argument which resonates so well with the public is a furphy.
    It also shows that the 'State government are undersupplying land' argument is a furphy.

Cheers, F. [cowboy2]

Foundation you really should get out more.

Participant
    @tysonboss1

I believe there is a lot of other factors affecting the prices of WA property than the mining boom alone.

Profile photo of sunsetredsunsetred
    @sunsetred

Hi guys,
    Thankyou so much for your wonderful opinions,
    You all have great points that I will be discussing with my hubby.
    I do feel more confident about which road I will go down but there are a few little things that you pointed out that I will have to
    take into concideration.
    Maddog you are absolutely right, if china does put the brakes on buying a lot of people out hear will be in a spot of bother.
    Tysonboss, thankyou,I like your thinking.
    Devo, thanks again, you make me more confident with keeping them.
    Our IPs are not in Blackwater but Rockhampton, 1 of the major towns 2 hours drive away and the social hub of Central coast QLD.
    The rental market here is in such short supply  that both our IPs were vacant for only 1 week after advertising them.
     Freeman, Yeh it's hard to believe that the mines would spend BILLIONS of dollars if they wern't sure china and India were in it for the long run, but I guess they can always change their mind hey.
    Hi Raelene, Yeh I saw that 60 minutes program too,
    It is very hard to get into BMA out here but if you have your rear dump or belly dump tickets go for it, send them your resume, but be prepared to do something else while you wait, they don't rush into anything out here.
    I have my rear dump ticket but I had to clean out at the mine for 6 months befor I got a break, but if your here and your seen it makes it a lot easier to be handy when they do need someone.
    And yes the money is good and it's what made it possible for us to get into investing.
    Hi runinniv, yes the prices of house here in the last 2 years has been spastic.
    Houses were selling for about $60.000 a few years ago now sell at around $260.000.
    But it has settled a lot in the last 6 months and they are starting to come down a little.
    I don't think they will come down too much it's just they came so far so fast that they are doing a bit of leveling out now.
    But as far as a nice town goes, you would be a bit dissapointed. We call it Bleakwater. But I don't think you could do wrong buying here as long as the mining boom lasts.
    The last time the mines flopped out here it basically turned this town into a ghost town.
    Thery were actually removing houses from here to take else where.
    Just wondering????????
    Does anyone have insurance that will cover there IP investments if they are unable to make the monthly repayments??
    I have Landlords insurance but I wonder if there is anything our there that would cover you payment wise if a recession does hit???
    Does anone know if there is something out there that would make your IPs recession proof insurance wise??
    Sorry if it seems a stupid question.
    Thankyou you all very much for you insights.
    Kind Regards
    Sunny

Profile photo of foundationfoundation
    @foundation
    a free man wrote:

I'll take your advice on board. You just need to understand that I approach all aspects of life in the same way – with skepticism (this is a scientific method, not a dirty word. Google it, it's easily learned; "scientific skepticism" or "critical thinking" should get you started). It took me all of 2 minutes to dig up the facts and bust up a couple of the most prevalent myths about property. I think this is a better approach than basing decisions on the misinformation or misunderstanding of others.

Cheers, F. [cowboy2]

Profile photo of waterwater
    @water

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=280956

About the mining boom

From what i have read i think it will still be a few years off. As a young Australian i don't think interest rate rises and the such will bring about an immediate recession due to the fact that alot of people my age don't even know what the interest rate is! Because of this and a general attitude of nothing can wrong i think we will be the hardest hit.

@dreaming
    foundation wrote:
    a free man wrote:

I'll take your advice on board. You just need to understand that I approach all aspects of life in the same way – with skepticism (this is a scientific method, not a dirty word. Google it, it's easily learned; "scientific skepticism" or "critical thinking" should get you started). It took me all of 2 minutes to dig up the facts and bust up a couple of the most prevalent myths about property. I think this is a better approach than basing decisions on the misinformation or misunderstanding of others.

Cheers, F. [cowboy2]

Foundation when I said you should get out more, what I meant by that is I believe in hitting the streets, talking to real estate agents, going to auctions and attending attending rental property inspections. For my way of thinking this is a better way of determining the current market.
    I believe stats are important but they are a reflection of what happened and not what is happening.

Regarding vacant dwellings, I only concern myself with 2 types of vacant houses;

1. The ones that are available to rent, given most large cities are below 1.5% vacancy rate I'm happy with those stats.
    2. The other number that concerns me are vacant houses that are for sale but the owner can't sell them, the areas I'm    looking in to buy my next IP haven't got this problem as houses are selling very quickly.

I think high levels of immigration have a direct impact on house prices but then that should be another thread.
    At the end of the day we all approach investment differently and have different ideas, I don't believe you should be shooting people down in flames because their ideas don't match yours. The only exception I would apply to this rule is where someone has offered totally irresponsible advice to someone seeking advice. Then experienced investors should offer a wary comment?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.