All Topics / Help Needed! / Water Useage – Who pays – tenants or landlords?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of BelzgirlBelzgirl
    Participant
    @belzgirl

This may sound like a really dumb question but we have just purchased our first ip in the Gold Coast and are now just awaiting settlement date to roll on in…  however i have a question regarding the water useage bills?

There is already tenants in the property who signed a 12 months lease prior to us buying it.  My question is who pays the water "usage" bills???  I think its a bit unfair if we as landlords have to pay for the tenants water useage – who's to say they don't have 10 showers a day etc etc… you get my drift…  I just find that hard to grasp.

We are new to this thing and as we are in W.A and different states work differently im so confused??

PLEASE HELP!

Profile photo of XeniaXenia
    @xenia

There is usually a default amount in the tenancy legislation regarding the amount paid by the landlord and anything above that amount is billed to the tenants. Tenants can be charged ALL water usuage if it is worded as a condition on the lease contract.

Profile photo of IanIan
    Participant
    @ian-schuler

My suggestion is to contact the Residential Tenances Authority.  They have 1300 number at their call centre.  The staff there will be able to tell you all you need to know about water usage and who pays.

As a landlord you have to provide a reasonable amount to the tenant.  If you want to charge for excess water then it has to metered and it has to be in th econtract.

However if a contract is in place now than you will not be able to make any alterations until it ends and can be renewed.

Ring Residential Tenancies Authority they can answer all your questions to do with rental properties.  It is not just for tenants it is for landlords also.

Profile photo of XeniaXenia
    @xenia
    Ian Schuler wrote:

As a landlord you have to provide a reasonable amount to the tenant.  If you want to charge for excess water then it has to metered and it has to be in th econtract.

This may be a state-specific thing but in SA landlords do not have to provide ANY water for tenants if it is written in the contract. If not stated as a clause then landlord pays for first 137 Kl and tenant pays for rest. There is no such thing as excess anymore (in SA anyway!).

Profile photo of mathewc73mathewc73
    Participant
    @mathewc73

Hi,
    This is a non lease not compliance answer.  Generally in NSW, Qld and Vic the landlord pays both usage and rates for Water for units.  Its from the old days where the water meter was shared for all tenants.  May possibly also be due to how the waterboard current read meters.

For houses landlord pays rates and tenant pays usage.

This is just standard convention that I would suggest almost all landlords do.

Regards,
    Mat

Profile photo of WylieWylie
    @wylie

I know things are changing but in Brisbane landlords pay for water. We have always written in to the lease that tenants are liable for excess but it has been a very grey area as to who interprets "excess". It has never really been an issue until the drought hit, and now we are all very aware of water usage.

I have leases due in a few months, and I hope that by the time they are ready to renew, this will be clearly sorted out.

Wylie

Profile photo of elkamelkam
    @elkam

Hello

In Victoria, if units are metered separately then the tenant pays the water usage too. I am just having the meter split on a property I owe with 2 units on it. This one time cost will save me years of paying water usage for both tenants.

Cheers
    Elka

Profile photo of tom1000000tom1000000
    Participant
    @tom1000000

Hello Elkam

If possible would you mind stating the approximate cost of getting a second water meter installed?

Thanks

Tom

Profile photo of elkamelkam
    @elkam

Hello Tom

I believe the cost for mine will be somewhere in the order of $500- $600. Part of it needs to be done by a plumber and then the water people come and do the final connection.

However the cost will depend on how the pipes run and whether any new ones will need to be laid.

I suggest you ring the authority supplying water in your area and ask them about the process. They will need to send you out some forms for your plumber. Also get at least 2 quotes from plumbers for the job.

In my case it's a question of only 2 units on the block and I own both of them. The whole property is currently on one meter and the water usage just gets apportioned 50/50 to each unit. However, as it's an estimate and not an actual reading, I am obliged to pay all water usage for both properties.I am actually getting the meter split into 3. One for each unit and one for the common garden area. I will still need to pay the usage for the common garden area but not for the 2 units. I have been advised that the 3rd meter will only attract a $15 meter charge as well as a usage charge but no other service charges (sewage etc.etc) as there is no toilet involved.

I am with Melbourne water.

Hope this helps
    Elka

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.