All Topics / Value Adding / uneven concrete floor

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of elkamelkam
    @elkam

Hello All

Is there anything to do about an uneven old concrete floor? It's in the laundry and I wanted to have it tiled rather than painted. More up market. But I'm told the floor is uneven and it would not look good.

Is there anything (some sort of concrete or something) that you can put on top of the old floor to even it out before tiling or will it just lift.

Thank you for any advice.
    Elka

Profile photo of bren the builderbren the builder
    Participant
    @bren-the-builder

Hi elka, there is a self-levelling product you can buy to put on uneven floors, it just mixes up like mortar and you pour it out and it will find its own level, try a small spot first and see where it settles. It sets extremely hard and can then be tiled over, the product I've used is call hardit there may be other names for it, see how you go.
    Cheers

Profile photo of elkamelkam
    @elkam

Great. Thank you Bren. Just what I need.

Profile photo of crashycrashy
    Participant
    @crashy

That stuff is good, but expensive.

If you have more than 10mm difference, spread some concrete around the area, use a screed to make sure it does not end up higher than it should. If you have more than 5mm difference, use mortar mix instead.

then hopefully you have 2-3mm difference, and will only need a small amount of leveller.

I tried to invent my own leveller (lol) by mixing gap filler with mortar mix in the runniest possible mix. worked well enough for laminate flooring, but wouldnt do it for tiles.

Profile photo of mackarmackar
    @mackar

If you're looking for an 'upmarket finish'  as you said… I would always use a tiler… they will screed to flow
    & tile a small laundry in no time at all… unless you are handy, bad tiling can also look quite ordinary…
    a small cost I think in the scheme of things.

good luck

M.

Profile photo of elkamelkam
    @elkam

Thank you all.

M that is exactly what I am doing now. Using a professional tiler who is going to use the technique you mentioned.
    $400 for the floor and on the wall above the sink.

Elka

Profile photo of solomons_wealthsolomons_wealth
    @solomons_wealth

A company called ARDEX which deal in adhesives, grouts and compounds have a product called LQ92 which is pretty well what Bren was talking about.

Most of these companys have a product of similar comparison, just make sure that your tiler / builder knows what they are doing.

If there is a slight bit of moisture on the origional slab, the product dries too quickly and it will warp when it dries. just a tip.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.