All Topics / General Property / owner builder qu’s pls:

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of Misty1Misty1
    @misty1

Can anyone help with these qu's regarding owner building pls:

1) I believe a "certificate of consent" will not be granted to owner builders for  a "multi-lot" build, only a single dwelling. Is this the case also if the existing house on the lot (currently primary residence), will be sub-divided off as part of the process & the newly built residence will then become the owner-builders' new primary residence?
    So in fact, the owner builder really is only building ONE dwelling???

2) How many years is it between each dwelling that an owner builder in Vic can build? 1year? 2? 3?

3) How can a non-tradie become a "registered building practitioner"? Is it hard to get?

Thanks in advance.

Profile photo of davidhdavidh
    @davidh

I have to ask why do you want to go down this road.
    I suppose you feel it is to save money and have control of the project. However from your questions I am guessing that you do not have a lot of experience in construction or developments.
    Are you in a position( age, finance, time) to start a construction business, because surely  that would be the only reason  for wanting to become a  licensed / registered builder.
    Look I am not trying to put you off it is your dream but there is a lot more to it then some imagine.

Profile photo of Misty1Misty1
    @misty1

Sorry, but you didnt even answer one question.

Profile photo of davidhdavidh
    @davidh

Thats right I did not ans one question, i did however give you a question or two that i think you should ans.
    Look i am a builder in Queensland so i cant comment on the rules and regulations in Victoria but I do know I have worked for people who have tried doing it themselves on a part time basis and they have commented that they would have been better of doing what they do best and leaving the construction etc to people who know what they are doing.
    Builders are like everyone else, some good, some not so good and some are shockers.
    I work with quite a few investors and we see it as a win win deal in that they keep bringing me work and i look after them with the price and advise. I dont do this with everyone that turns up and says I am an investor and if you look after me I will give you x number of homes but i do do it with the the ones that are fair dinkum.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

I think owner builder licences are meant for people building their own home, it is not really for investors, so they restrict things a bit. However, oneof my clients is building a duplex at the moment as an owner builder (NSW).

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of loccolocco
    @locco

Wow you have some huge questions….

To become a Registered Builder in Victoria you have to have at least 3 yrs experience directly  in the industry, you need to have completed a Cert IV in Building and construction Management, this is about an 8 month course….
    I beleive the new owner builder laws state you can only owner buil 1 every 3 yrs.
    I would have to agree with David, if you have no real experience in this area you would be better off financially and building wise to employ a Registered builder as they also have to wear the 7yr Guarantee as well as other insurances.
    Hope this has been of help

Luke

@misty1

Thanks again Luke! I appreciate your informative reply.

@misty1

Oh….after thought:  I have been told a registered builder needs to also have a certain amount kept in the bank to maintain their licence. Is this true? If so, how much, & why, pls? Is this so if they are sued this will be (meant to be, but probably wouldnt) to go towards that? Thanks!

Profile photo of loccolocco
    @locco

Hey Misty,

The registered builder needs to be able to obtain a letter of eleigibility for builders warranty insurance. That is the insurance that covers the property for the 7yrs as well as during construction if the builder was to die, dissappear or go bankrupt. So in answering your question yes they would have to be able to show some form of equity or savings.

Hope this is helpful??

Luke

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.