All Topics / Help Needed! / FHOG, PPOR and CGT implications

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of bigdenisbigdenis
    Participant
    @bigdenis

Hi all – I’m a first timer here, so please be gentle.

My question is that if I purchased a unit with tenants in there, and their rental contract doesn’t expire for another 8 months, what are there CGT implications when I finally move into the unit as my PPOR?

I understand that from the outset, if I were to move in immediately, I would be exempt from CGT for 6 years if I were to move out of the unit after having satisfied the “living there for 6 months within the first 12 months” criteria of gaining the FHOG. However, this situation is different in that I can’t immediately move in, even if I wanted to.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

You would be liabl;e for a CGT component for that 8 months. Given that it is reduced by 50% four months later I wouldn’t be too concerned about it – it will be a small proportion of any profit and will be smaller the longer you own the property.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Residential and Commercial Finance Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of bigdenisbigdenis
    Participant
    @bigdenis

Simon, thank you for the quick response.

My next question is, once I’ve lived there for half a year (having made it my PPOR for the minimum period of time), and if I decide to move out and have tenants in for the next 4 to 5 years, is this CGT exempt?

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

yes – as long as you dont own another home as well.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Residential and Commercial Finance Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of bigdenisbigdenis
    Participant
    @bigdenis

Once again, thank you Simon. I really appreciate your help. You’re a legend!!

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Hi

I am not sure, I think there is provision for purchasing a house that is already tenanted, where you can still claim it as your main residence as long as you move in as soon as practical.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    [email protected]
    Send an email to get my newsletter.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.