Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of kmb11kmb11
    Participant
    @kmb11

Hi,

I understand that most of us here are on the other side of the fence but might be able to help a friend of mine who is renting a place and suffering for no reason thanks to an incompetent property manager.

She has been renting this place for a year now and when she moved in, the gas stove in the Kitchen was somewhat leaking and this was noted down in the condition report and property manager promised to get it fixed. Also he said that he will arrange a pesticide spray as the property was vacant for a few months already and had a lot cockroaches etc.

To this day, she has sent him numerous emails and phone calls and on top of that they misappropriated her rent payments of $1000 payments although she has complete payment record & everything.

They are not giving any importance to her threats of complaining to tribunal and nothing happended when she decided to send an email to the owner of property office.

What are her rights and what should she do to get her necessary repairs done and payment records fixed?

Thanks

Profile photo of WylieWylie
    @wylie

My understanding is that (in Queensland) if no action is taken after notifying the manager or owner, a tenant has the right to have things repaired and claim the cost back. I don’t know how this happens as we self-manage and have never had anything left that needed fixing.

Get your friend to check with whatever authority is appropriate in your state and make sure they have copies of their requests for having something fixed and that they follow the letter of the law regarding notice periods etc. Leaking gas is dangerous.

Wylie

Profile photo of v8ghiav8ghia
    @v8ghia

Hi bloach. WHat state are you in? Some legislation is quite definate now with regard to these types of things. Obviously if a place is a dump it is not expected it be made into a mansion, but things such as you have mentioned need to be rectified very quickly in most cases. A visit to the agent will be better than emails – trust me. It can sometimes go the other way too. I have been prepared to replace the fence in one of my properties for three months, but the agent has simply not had the courtesy to organise this since I queried the exhorbatant and poorly submitted one ‘cut and pasted quote’ he sent me. ‘The Professionals’ may not be so ‘professional’ at times. All the best – but your friend will not have t put up with this type of thing in the majority of cases.

Profile photo of kmb11kmb11
    Participant
    @kmb11

Hi,

She is in NSW and has visited the agent a few times also. Apparently the landlord is not interested in spending any money on the property and as far gas inspection is concerned he is also required by law to have an inspection every 2 years by a certified gas fitter.

The difference is rent issue is plain incompetence on the part of property manager. He has been rude to her and tries to avoid her to avoid having to resolve the issue.

I have advised her to lodge an application with the tribunal as this seems to be her only option.

Any advise on this?

Thanks

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Contact the Tenant’s Union NSW
    http://www.tenants.org.au/

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    [email protected]
    Send an email to get my newsletter.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.