All Topics / General Property / New Qld Smoke Alarm Laws

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of AmandaBSAmandaBS
    Participant
    @amandabs

We’ve just added a new document to our website because as from 1 July 2007, new laws will apply in Qld requiring all houses & units to be fitted with a minimum of at least one 9-volt battery-powered smoke alarm.

Legislation already exists in Qld providing that all new homes, and homes that have been significantly renovated, must have a 240-volt hard-wired smoke alarm that complies with AS 3786 guidelines.

Smoke alarms must be replaced before expiration of the service life date. This date should be clearly visible on the base of each smoke alarm (Max 10 years).

From 1/07/2007, Queensland landlords must provide a clean smoke alarm with new battery at the commencement of the lease. It is the tenant’s responsibility to replace any flat battery from that point after.

From 1 July, 2007 when a property is sold in Queensland, the vendor will be required to lodge a new form with the Queensland Land Registry stating that smoke alarms have been installed.

Non-compliance with any of the above provisions will result in a maximum fine of $375.

To read further about smoke alarms and the laws that apply in your state see link below.

http://www.propertydivas.com.au/3TaxMang/SmokeAlarms.aspx

AmandaBS
    http://www.propertydivas.com.au
    FREE online Property Resources

“It is better to be inconspicuously wealthy, than to be ostentatiously poor…”

Profile photo of MillyMilly
    @milly

You know what really peeves me Amanda about putting in the smoke detectors? Everytime I go in for an inspection after tennants have left, ,the smoke detectors have had the crap smashed out of them by a broom handle and they all have to be replaced. I understand that few tennants have ladders. And I also understand that that intermitant beep when the battery needs replacing is damned annoying.

I guess the thing to do would be to once yearly go and replace all the batteries myself. (sigh)

Profile photo of wayne10539wayne10539
    @wayne10539

Hi Amanda,

Correct me if i am wrong, i though that i read somewhere that the smoke detectors had to be checked annually, by someone that was qualified to do so.

If that is the case, what makes someone qualified, and i imagine that it would only add to the cost of ownig an investment property, if you were not able to complete the task yourself as an owner?

Regards

Wayne

“What is the lap record, and which way do i go?”

Profile photo of AmandaBSAmandaBS
    Participant
    @amandabs

Hi Wayne,

From the reseach we conducted there was no report that the smoke alarms needed to be checked annually by someone qualified. Certainly a hard wired smoke alarm must be installed by a licenced electrician. Some States did however mention Smoke alarms being replaced before expiration of the service life.
    You can test if the smoke alarm is working be depressing the button on the outside or follow the manufacturers directions. To check the battery backup for hard wired units you’ll need to turn off the power first.

For clarification of the law in your State or Territory, contact your local Fire Authority, local/state Council or relevant landlord/tenant bureau/information centre.

AmandaBS
    http://www.propertydivas.com.au
    FREE online Property Resources

“It is better to be inconspicuously wealthy, than to be ostentatiously poor…”

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Or you can have them hard wired in to the electrical system with a battery backup.

Simon Macks
    Residential and Commercial Finance Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Or you can have them hard wired in to the electrical system with a battery backup.

Simon Macks
    Residential and Commercial Finance Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.