All Topics / Help Needed! / Is an accepted offer binding?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of CJMELBCJMELB
    Participant
    @cjmelb

Just wondering…….

If you make an offer for a property and it is accepted, I assume you can still change your mind and get out of it. Is this correct? I want to make an offer on this place but have to get it in by 5pm today (according to the agent). I love the place etc but haven’t had the chance to do a building inspection, termite inspection etc.

Thanks.

Profile photo of bren the builderbren the builder
    Participant
    @bren-the-builder

Our understanding is that an accepted offer is legally binding although there may be a cooling off period that applies. However you can make an offer subject to your satisfaction with a building inspection and pest inspection with the inspector/s of your choice and if necessary finance approval with the lender of your choice. Regards

bren

Profile photo of ShOw_Me_ThE_MoNeYShOw_Me_ThE_MoNeY
    @show_me_the_money

When you accepted the offer did u specify the following:
    1. Subject to Finance
    2. Subject to Building Inspection
    3. Subject to Finance Inspection

My understanding is that we can put these clauses to safeguard ourselves

Profile photo of CJMELBCJMELB
    Participant
    @cjmelb

I actually haven’t put the offer in yet but I have to by 5pm today because the agent says that someone else has made an acceptable offer.

The agent gave me a ball-park price that I would need to match but also said that I could win out by offering a shorter settlement period. Correct me if I’m wrong but the usual settlement period is 60 days?

Profile photo of ShOw_Me_ThE_MoNeYShOw_Me_ThE_MoNeY
    @show_me_the_money

Yes the usual settlement is 60 days. You can ask the agent how much settlement period has the other person asked for. This could help you make a wise decision. And when you make the offer make sure you have the clauses “Subject to….” before you sign on the dotted line.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

With contract law an offer is binding if accepted, but in the sale of land the contract can only be enforced if it is in writing. ie. contracts exchanged. Without your signed contract they cannot enforce it.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    [email protected]
    Send an email to get my newsletter.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Be aware that some agents are unscruplous and such an agent could be trying to manipulate both the size and timing of your offer by suggesting a second buyer.

Of course he could be honest too ….

But don’t let him influence your decisions too much [blush2]

Simon Macks
    Residential and Commercial Finance Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.