All Topics / Help Needed! / Family Trusts – good or bad

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of kevbeamankevbeaman
    @kevbeaman

Hello to all. I am new to this web site and still getting my feet. I am looking at starting a real estae investment portfolio and wanted to know if anyone had personal experience with family trusts and if they are a good idea.

Thanks in advance,
    Kevin

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Kevin

Difficult to provide a defined answer as everyones circumstances are different. Trust come in vary guises each having a particular place in the market

If you are looking for Asset protection and also want to be able to claim the negaitve gearing benefits then a HDT is worth considering.

However before you start you probably need to make sure all the fundimentals are in place with regards to your loan structure.

Cheers

Richard Taylor
    Residential & Commercial Finance Broker.
    Licensed Financial Planner. Ph: 07 3720 1888
    [email protected]
    Looking for life cover – We Guarantee to beat any quote you have in writing.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of karenhenry293karenhenry293
    @karenhenry293

Richard,

I too am looking into the structure question – I thought it was the first thing that I had to get sorted. What exactly do you mean by loan structure? could you possible supply an example?

regards
    Karen

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Karen

Assume you have your own PPOR which has $200K of equity in it.
    You are wanting to purchase an IP for $200K and you go back to your Bank to borrow the entire amount plus sufficient funds to cover acquisition costs.

Normally your Bank would make an advance for the full amount in the one loan and cross collateralise the 2 securities.

This would carry on with each new IP property you decided to buy.

Several down the track the Bank tell you according to our records you cannot borrow any more money although by now your PPOR is worth $600K and your loan has been repaid.

Regretfully as all of the loans are cross collaratilised you cannot take your PPOR elsewhere as it is being held as security for your IP’s. Uncrossing them now gets both messy and expensive and will depend on the Banks view of each of the individual securities as to whether they will do it in the first place.

A little bit of loan structuring from day 1 would have set you up in a manner where non of the loans are X collaratalised and yyou can keep on going with your wealth creation.

If you wish to sell any of these IP’s all you are required to do is repay the loan outstanding on the particular security. Especially important if you may have triggered a CGT liability and may require cash of of the sale to cover this.

Cheers

Richard Taylor
    Residential & Commercial Finance Broker.
    Licensed Financial Planner. Ph: 07 3720 1888
    [email protected]
    Looking for life cover – We Guarantee to beat any quote you have in writing.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Yes, a discretionary trust is an excellent vehicle to own property. Most business people have one. Look at a few posts under the Legal & Accounting forums.

One disadvantage is that trusts cannot distribute losses, a way around this is the HDT which Richard mentioned.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    [email protected]
    Send an email to get my newsletter.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of kevbeamankevbeaman
    @kevbeaman

Thank you all for your information, I will look into it more and get back to you with the results.

Thanks again

Kevin.

Profile photo of karenhenry293karenhenry293
    @karenhenry293

Thank you Richard,

that’s very helpful – I had understood that never cross -collateralising was a golden rule, but never fully imagined what the implications could be. What an unfair outcome for the banks to saddle someone with! How arrogant they can be.

regards
    Karen

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.