All Topics / Help Needed! / Best Qus to ask Prop Managers

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of fashionably latefashionably late
    @fashionably-late

I’ve just purchased my first IP in Thornton NSW, and have contacted a few Property Managers/ RE Agents to find a tenant, but haven’t made a decision yet.

What are the top 3 questions to ask??
    One is more expensive 7.7% vs 6% but also seem to offer more “value” to the service. Is the extra cost actually really worth anything??

I want to be able to “sleep at night” with the agent I choose and not have to worry about them. Does it simply come down to a gut feel??

Thanks in advance
    Leighton[rambo2]

Profile photo of XeniaXenia
    @xenia

Hi FL,
    here is a link to some questions you should be asking, it is based on SA but you can adjust them to suit!

http://www.adprop.com.au/cgi-bin/page.cgi?id=288

Some things to keep in mind just from my own experience.
    Cheap management fees do not mean that you are saving money!

We recently listed a property previously managed by a name brand agency, their management fees were 7% ours are 9%
    They had the property rented for $180 per week, it’s true market rent is $230 per week and it had no rent increases for 3 years (it is easy for the pm’s to rent it at $180). We have put the rent up right away to $210 with a further increase to $230 in 6 months (so that we don’t shock the tenant too much)

There was another property we recently took over with a landlord that had all his properties on periodic agreements!
    management fees were 7% (again). His pm was charging him a 2 week letting fee every time they renewed the lease for the same tenant!!!! He let the tenancy expire to save money.

They should not be charging anything to renew leases for the same tenant!!!!

Letting a clients lease expire means that he was also paying landlords insurance for nothing, if he had tried to claim rent arrears, most landlords policies would not honour the claim unless a written fixed term lease was in place! He was not even advised this by the previous agent!

There were 3 properties taken over this month by us with NO leases in place, there was a verbal agreement between the pm and the tenant! These were all from big franchise agencies!

If I can cauthion you about one thing, that is to find a company that has a primary focus on property management and it is not just a side branch to the main sales department.

Recently, I heared this from a principal of one franchise!

“95% of properties we have in our rent roll are dogs, they are not earning money for the business and the only way we can covert them to a profit is to encourage the landlords to sell”

Getting a sales commission from your rental properties is more important to most agencies than managing them, that is the only reason why they have it there! Please be very careful!!!!

Investment Property Management
    http://www.adprop.com.au

Profile photo of fashionably latefashionably late
    @fashionably-late

Really appreciate the advice Dr X. I think that it is important for the PM to be up to date with investment etc by owning property as they know what I am trying to achieve in this process.

BTW, like the link to your website. Some good tips.

Cheers
    Leighton[rambo2]

Profile photo of rose1610rose1610
    @rose1610

Dr X – where are you located? Can you recommend anyone in Melbourne?

Julie
    Property Conveyancer
    Melbourne

Profile photo of IPSpiritIPSpirit
    @ipspirit

I would ask how many properties each PM manages. If the number is really high, then you would question how capable they are of giving your property the attention it deserves. I’ve recently got a job at a property management place to get some experience and my boss manages nearly 100! For this reason I would not use her, even though she has a ‘good reputation’. I’m doing the loose end stuff (like tenancy checklists) and it is quite apparent that things are getting done at the last minute because she is just so snowed under.

You could also ask for a reference from one of their landlords who has a currently tenanted property and one who doesn’t to give you a better idea of the overall service they provide.

When I was looking back in October, I got the local PMs to send me through their details (either by post or email) and then compiled a spreadsheet to compare all the costs/services. I found that this made it really easy to see everything on one sheet as opposed to sifting through a mountain of paperwork. I would also recommend that you use someone local who knows the area well and who therefor has a better idea of the local market for rental reviews.

Lastly (and this is completely subjective) I took their personalities into account. Management fees are really high in WA if you only have one property because you are limited with your ability to negotiate a flat fee, not sure what the deal is in NSW. One guy I spoke to was .5% cheaper than the next cheapest, but I felt like he was a bit of a cowboy with the way he presented himself – I didn’t feel like I could trust him. So I went with the next one because she was very personable and interested in my input. To date I feel like this was a smart move as she keeps me well informed of issues ahead of time and always asks before charging me money for maintenance issues. If you have a good raport with your PM, there is less likely to be a breakdown in communication.

Best of luck to you

[exhappy]

Profile photo of XeniaXenia
    @xenia

100 to 120 properties is not unreasonable for a full time property manager as long as someone else in the office is taking care of the end of month landlord statements. If they are also doing trust accounting then 100 is too much!

Investment Property Management
    http://www.adprop.com.au

Profile photo of MichaelYardneyMichaelYardney
    Participant
    @michaelyardney

For my list of 12 questions you should ask a proeprty manager pleae check this link

http://www.rentingmelbourne.com.au/html/s02_article/article_view.asp?id=109&nav_cat_id=143&nav_top_id=52&dsa=25

Michael Yardney
    METROPOLE PROPERTIES
    Publisher of Australia’s leading property e-magazine.
    Join over 20,000 readers.
    FREE subscription http://www.PropertyUpdate.com.au

Profile photo of AmandaBSAmandaBS
    Participant
    @amandabs

Congradulations on your first IP.
    The following is an extract of an article off our website about Property Management, sorry its a bit longer than 3 questions!

There is considerably more to Property management than just collecting rent – ask any property manager! Good property management plays an important role in ensuring your property receives maximum returns and remains in tip-top condition.

Role of a Property Manager
    An efficient property manager is well worth the relatively small fees charged. Responsibilities of a manager can include:

• Appraise the property for rental and assess the market rental amount
    • Interview, screen and select suitable tenants
    • Prepare initial condition report, lease documentation and bond authority and collect initial payment
    • Receive rent and chase late payers
    • Conduct periodic inspections
    • Report damage or maintenance issues to landlord and arrange for rectification where appropriate
    • Handle all tenant communications
    • Co-ordinate the moving out of tenants at termination of lease
    • Appear before Tribunal in cases of rent default or other serious issues.

Having a professional property manager on your “team” will help ensure maximum return on your investment property and remove the frustrations often associated with dealing directly with tenants, as well as saving you considerable time and hassle.

What should I Look for in a Property Manager
    Although property mangers are usually part of a real estate office, they should ideally be a separate department from the general Sales area. To reduce the risk of problems arising, you should ensure the office has efficient business systems and procedures in place to deal with daily issues that may arise such as emergency repair requirements and late rent payments.

Your property security is important so insist that the property manager conducts personal inspections, rather than just hands out keys to strangers who walk in off the street. This opportunity will allow the property manager additional time to assess the character of the applicant and ask questions.

Take the time to interview several property managers to ensure you feel confident about their role. Ask your potential property manager questions, such as:

Suitability:
    • How long have you been a property manager?
    • What qualifications and ongoing training do you have?
    • Do you have a good up-to-date understanding of State legislation and important caselaw?
    • What property investment background do you have?

Financials:
    • How would you assess the market rent on our property?
    • How would you maximise the return on our property?
    • What initial letting fees and commissions do you charge?
    • What ongoing letting fees and commissions do you charge?
    • Do you charge re-letting fees if a tenant re-signs at the end of a lease or leaves early?
    • Do you charge for attendance at Tribunal and associated administrative work?
    • Do you charge any “hidden fees” such as for fortnightly/monthly statements or administrative tasks?

Procedures:
    • How will you advertise and market my property and what costs are involved?
    • How do you document conditions reports and do you take photos?
    • How do you screen prospective tenants and what references and other checks do you make?
    • How much bond do you collect and how do you carry out the administration for this?
    • How often is rent collected and paid?
    • What procedures do you follow if rent is unpaid?
    • How often are inspections made and what procedure do you carry out?

Finding the right Tenant
    Applicants should be required to complete a standard form detailing personal information including current and previous addresses and whether they are rental properties. Photo ID and proof of income should be shown and employee and character references should also be provided. All information should be carefully checked and verified by the property manager and a check of the National Tenant Database should be carried out. Based on all the details collected a comprehensive assessment should be made of each applicant.
    The property manager should then discuss all applications with the landlord and recommend the best choice. Once a suitable tenant has been found, a tenancy agreement will then be prepared along with a condition report, lease and bond form, all of which require signature by the tenant. The condition report should be backed by photographic evidence of the condition of the property (both inside and out), which may be used as proof in the event of a dispute regarding the state of the property at a later stage.
    When a tenant vacates the property, the property manager should provide the tenant with a detailed checklist of items requiring cleaning and attention before leaving and should reinforce that, subject to normal wear and tear, the property must be left in the same state it was in when the tenant initially took occupation of the property. You as the owner should also be offered the opportunity to inspect the property before the bond is refunded.

AmandaBS
    http://www.propertydivas.com.au
    FREE online Property Resources

“It is better to be inconspicuously wealthy, than to be ostentatiously poor…”

Profile photo of fashionably latefashionably late
    @fashionably-late

Hi All.

Just a quick report back on the latest dealings with the RE Agents. I am really glad for the advice from all in this topic, as I followed some of it, and it allowed me to get to the best agent.

Some of the better points that I would recommend (as well as a lot of the questions that come from the links):

• I put together the questions that I wanted to be answered into a table and printed them out. This allowed good objectivity in comparison of the PMs
    • I organised the appointments about 30-45 mins apart. This meant that they all saw one another as they drove up/ drove off or had to wait a minute or two. I believe this encourages healthy competition between the groups.
    • My favourite questions which I wouldn’t have thought of already is their personal experience in Investment Properties. This gives them more credibility in my eyes as they will know what I (as the landlord) might get anxious about, and which information to give.

Thanks again for the insights and hopefully it will be rented to great tenants on March 3rd when it becomes available.

Cheers
    Leighton[rambo2]

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.