All Topics / Help Needed! / Help with a subdivision problem

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

Hello everyone,

I live in SE Qld and have an option to buy a 2 bed hardiplank home on a 1575 sqm block for $250 000 neg. I have looked into subdividing into two blocks and have checked with council. They have said that the zoning would allow for this …… BUT…… isn’t there always one of these ………
    The problem is that each block needs a 20 m frontage and because of the shape of the block this is not possible. The entire frontage of the block is only 20 m and they will not allow a battleaxe type situation.
    Is there any way around this? Should I contact a Town planner for help? Has anyone had a similar situation?
    Or should I just let this one go….

Thanks for your time [wacko]
    Tina

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Tina

Yes definately think you should check with a local Town Planner.

Not sure exactly where the property is but if it is in Brissie then 20 m frontage is the norm but i have done them with only 10 M sort of thin and narrow.

A TP is the way to go.

Cheers

Richard Taylor
    Residential & Commercial Finance Broker.
    Licensed Financial Planner. Ph: 07 3720 1888
    [email protected]
    Looking for life cover – We Guarantee to beat any quote you have in writing.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

Hey Richard,

Good to know you have done a 10m frontage. I am a newbie at investing so how do I go about getting a town planner? Cheers, Tina

Profile photo of d_robb21d_robb21
    Participant
    @d_robb21

I’d also speak with an architect, I know that our architect has experience dealing with the councils and has a wealth of knowledge of past projects that may be able to help you out.

Profile photo of AmandaBSAmandaBS
    Participant
    @amandabs

Hi Tina,

I’d actually go back to the Council first and asked them to show you under what section of the zoning is a battle-axe lot not allowed. Usually all you need is room for a 4m driveway which would need to be concreted the full distance. Sometimes the counter staff at Councils don’t have the experience to answer your question so try and ask to speak with a more senior person in the Building Development Section. Perhaps a 10m frontage won’t give a big enough building envelope.

Once you know what the objection is to a battle axe maybe you can negotiate your way through it with the assistance of a Town Planner/Surveyor

AmandaBS
    http://www.propertydivas.com.au
    FREE online Property Resources

“It is better to be inconspicuously wealthy, than to be ostentatiously poor…”

Profile photo of LandLand
    @land

Hi Tina,

Both my partner and I are senior town planners in Sydney. I have worked for five different Council’s over the years, and undertake some consulting on the side.

Richard is correct in that a town planner may be able to help you, however I think this is unlikely in this case. Contrary to Amanda’s advice, the counter staff are generally very knowledgeable and have an intimate knowledge of the controls for the Council in which they work, and I would suggest that the advice they are giving is most likely sound. Most of the planning controls can be found on the Council’s website and these documents will provide you with the answers that you are looking for.

I am not familiar with the planning legislation in Queensland, however, if the controls have a prohibition on battleaxe subdivision, I would recommend not taking a risk on buying the property with the hope that you may ‘get it through’. Hiring a consultant town planner will only help when there is a sound justification for variation to a development standard, and they can provide the documentation to ‘argue’ the variation – where there is a complete prohibition, I wouldn’t like your chances of success.

However, as I said, just have a hunt around on their website and you should find the answers yourself.

Cheers

Aaron

Profile photo of Ol PaintingOl Painting
    @ol-painting

Tell me about!!!
    I’m in the same situation [puke] [puke] [puke]

I found the property on 2300sqm, 100m long site in quite cul-de-sac with TWO WATERFRONTS!!!

One side is just across the narrow street and meters away from the beautiful deep water crick and other actually ending at the lake and even has a little private jetty!!! Could you believe THIS!!!

And if this is not good enough – the site has 3bd house that hasn’t been painted for 15 years and was rented all this time. But structurally really sound!!!!

And RE believes, very wrongly that the building should be demolished (and I’m an architect – I know what I say)

AND I CAN’T SUBDIVIDE IT!!!!! [grrr]

Lot is too narrow to subdivide for me and it’s zoned 2a – no torence title allowed.
    Neighbouring lots are also too narrow and so I can’t buy any land of them.

If I buy two lots I can in theory subdivide them on two attached housing lots and one battle-axe lot. But this mean I’ll have to demolish and rebuilt two perfectly fine buildings. After selling lots (or even re-building) I’ll be in about 100K-200K loss

Oh, it breaks my hart!!!!! [glum2]

Cheers
    Lesia
    [evo]
    http://www.vmstreamline.com

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

Thank you to all who answered my subdivision problem.

I sympathise with Leisa about her predicament near the water – ouch!![ohno2]

I will continue looking at the council website for documentation but I do believe that battleaxe applications are denied ( as told to me by the staff at the council). I appreciate the help guys,
    Talk to you later [tongue]

Profile photo of millionsmillions
    Participant
    @millions

I’ve come across this also in Perth. What sometimes works is to purchase a corner block. All the best, Linda

Profile photo of BazHBazH
    Participant
    @bazh

Tina, if you cant do the Battle axe block, why not look at a unit development?
    1500 m2 block is a bloody big block ! [evo]
    If you apply for and get Development Approval for units, you could sell the property with D.A and “should” profit, or perhaps look at developing yourself or taking on a partner.

You may even pick up another $30k or so selling the existing house as a removal home before construction.

Just a thought, but maybe worth asking the question eh.
    cheers and good luck

Baz

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.