All Topics / Help Needed! / Help on Equity refinancing

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of dchiemdchiem
    @dchiem

Hi,

I am very new to the property investing game, so please forgive my ignorance [glum2]. After reading Steve’s latest book, i am gung-ho about PI and have been researching/planning what strategies will benefit my girlfriend and I.

Currently my girlfriend has had the blessing of her parents to purchase a 300k property in full, and i have been telling her to use that equity to purchase other properties, but wasn’t too convincing as i really didn’t understand myself :(

Anyway from my understanding, because she has paid off her property in full, does that mean she can redraw 100% of that amount and finance that into another property? Is this possible?

I have read that lenders generally only lend a maximum of 80% of the value of the property so does that mean she can borrow only $240,000 maximum to put into another property? If this is the case, lets say in a scenario we purchased a property worth 400k, does that mean we have 2 loans then(1 to take out the $240,000 @ x%, and the other loan is the difference amount of purchase price to equity invested i.e $160,000 @ x%)? How does this help me produce a CF+ situation when i have 2 loans?

My second question is, can i somehow utilise the rest of the money in the first property i.e $60k to put into another property, or is this the definition of cross-collaterising (which should be avoided)?

I hope someone out there can help me find the answers as it is doing my head in! [wacko][wacko][wacko]

Thanking you in advance!

Regards
    Dave

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie

Banks as a rule will only let you use 80% of the equity in your home, less any outstanding loans. Some banks will let you use more, but personally I think that is pushing the safety factor pretty high – not the banks; yours. Personally, I won’t go over 60% LVR (Loan to Value Ratio).

To answer the first question; you can set up your loan in two ways;
    a) A line of credit on your own home, which is used as the deposits for the I.P’s, and the balance is from separate loans for each property either with the same lender, or someone else.
    The deposit amount will vary from lender to lender, but is usually 20% which you provide from your L.O.C on your own home. The less deposit you provide, the more LMI (Loan Mortgage Insurance) the lender who is providing the second loan will ask for. It is a cost you should avoid if you can.

b) A line of credit on your own home, which is extended to incorporate the loan on the new I.P property/ies as you buy them. All properties are secured by one loan, which keeps increasing as you purchase more properties.

There are many arguments about which way to go with this. Some people advocate startegy a), some advocate strategy b).
    Of course, in either strategy, you have properties which are 100% or more financed, which makes it very hard to obtain a +cashflow property.

Do more research on each one and talk to an accountant who is knowledgeable on property investing, then make your own choice.

To answer question 2;
    My .002 worth – I have done both, and am using b) now. It is a lot easier and cheaper on fees, and with the right property tracking software, is easy to sort out at tax time.
    Some might say this is cross-collaterlising, but I don’t make any risky purchases and don’t intend to sell, so I am not worried about the prospect of having my home taken away.
    I have sold a property under this strategy, and the lender simply reduced the loan amount, refunded the difference in the mortgage stamp duty and we continued on.

If the equity in your girlfriend’s house is $240k, then technically she could use this as deposits on 6 x $200k properties ($40k deposit on each), but in reality, you have to also allow for purchase and finance costs, so it is probably only 4 or 5 properties. Or, you could buy 1 property worth $1.2 mill !! (I wouldn’t recommend that).

The other issue which will come into the equation is the servicability of the loan. This may run our before the equity does if the properties are not +cashflow, thus you cannot keep buying.

Cheers,
    Marc.
    [email protected]

“we get sent lemons; it’s up to us to make lemonade”

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Hi

What she could do is get a loan of up to 90% of the value of the property. This can then use this as 20% (or 10% etc) on a few other properties.

eg. if it is valued at $300,000, 80% of this is $240,000. This can be in the form of a LOC.

She then goes out and finds another property valued at $300,000 and gets a $240,000 loan on this and then uses $60,000 deposit from the LOC.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    [email protected]
    Send an email to get my newsletter.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Dave

As Terry has pointed out why not look at setting up a Loan on the property to 90% of the valuation. Sure there wil be a cost for mortgage insurance but as the purpose of the funds is for investment the premium becomes Tax deductible.

Then with the available funds draw down only what you need to cover the deposit on the first IP and acquisition costs and take out a stand alone loan secured upon this new investment security.

Repeat the process with your future purchases.

Prior to proceeding ensure that you have set up the entity in which you intend to invest in whether it be a Trust, Company, Partnership etc as a little time getting this right now could save you thousands when it comes to Tax time.

A good MB should be able to guide you through the maze.

Cheers

Richard Taylor
    Residential & Commercial Finance Broker.
    Licensed Financial Planner. Ph: 07 3720 1888
    [email protected]
    Looking for life cover – We Guarantee to beat any quote you have in writing.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of dchiemdchiem
    @dchiem

Hi guys,

Thanks very much for you posts, i appreciate your views and have arranged to see a finanical adviser to discuss further options.

thanks again [biggrin]
    Dave

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Dave

Just make sure a Financial Adviser discloses to you any charges he makes.

I only charge for the preparation of a Statement of Advice for my Investment clients but nothing for life or income protection.

Certainly should not be charging anything for organising a loan for your future investing although some of the stries you hear nothing suprises you these days.

Also make sure he is able to assist you with your loan arrangements and is appropriately accreditated.

Cheers

Richard Taylor
    Residential & Commercial Finance Broker.
    Licensed Financial Planner. Ph: 07 3720 1888
    [email protected]
    Looking for life cover – We Guarantee to beat any quote you have in writing.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of bridgebuffbridgebuff
    Participant
    @bridgebuff

Agree with Terry and Richard.

I have a line of credit on our house that I use for our 20% deposit and the closing costs.

I am not too keen to go to 90% or 95%, but I may be too conservative and I have a reasonable amount of equity in our PPoR.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.