All Topics / Finance / Line of Credit or Xcollateralise?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of psychic26296psychic26296
    @psychic26296

Hi guys

Happy New Investing! We are looking at purchasing a property for about $500,000 with the most fantasitc ocean views. It is more than we can afford based on our incomes, but we have the titles to 3 properties – 1 approx $300,000 and 2 x approx $280,000. I have approached Wizard Home Loans (who I have some loans and a line of credit with) and they will organise a LOC at 7.39%. Should I get a LOC on each individual property or should I just get one LOC using them all. Then I can go to other lenders to borrow the rest for the property we want to buy. OR should I borrow against 1 title and let them use the new property as security also, leaving me with 2 titles to go elsewhere when we are ready? This is getting soooo confusing! Please help me clarify.

Kind Regards

Anita

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Keeping them all separate would be ideal. eg. what if you got all the loans in place, then wizard said you couldn’t borrow anymore – you would have to go elsewhere, which would be difficult if they had you tied up.

I prefer LOCs on each (doesn’t have to be a LOC btw). Then you can use these as deposits and borrow the rest from the same lender, or any lender. flexible.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    [email protected]
    Send an email to get my newsletter.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

I am with Terry keeping them separate is the way to go for both cost as well as accounting at the end of the year.

I dont believe that Wizard offer a Nodoc loan but if you have the 20%+ deposit you should be able to source funding on the security property iteself at an attractive rate of interest.

Although in saying that I am not a great fan of Wizard or should I should say GE and feel clients can do better if they shop around.

Cheers

Richard Taylor
    Residential & Commercial Finance Broker.
    Licensed Financial Planner. Ph: 07 3720 1888
    [email protected]
    Looking for life cover – We Guarantee to beat any quote you have in writing.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of pilihppilihp
    @pilihp

Keeping things simple is usually the best option.
    If you currently have a freehold property, give this title together with the one you’re buying to a lender who will do a no doc loan / loc.

Philip Limbert
    APM Finance Pty Ltd
    [email protected]

Profile photo of v8ghiav8ghia
    @v8ghia

Hi. As most here say, and I do too, it makes sense on all counts to keep each loan seperate, and not ‘crossed’. However, if it comes down to being able to secure a loan, as opposed to not being able to, sometimes cross colatorising a loan/propertys as security is the only way to achieve what is needed to be done. In all fairness, if you do not plan on actually selling a property for several years (or in the forseeable future) it really is no big deal, and can often save you on Lenders Mortgage insurance, and obviously reduce your LVR. (Margaret Lomas has some very interesting comments on this – that make sense too if you are not planning on doing a ‘buy and sell’.) I must take Richard to task (Sorry, I realise I do not have anywhere near his experience – I am not critisising…[exhappy] ) but you may find Wizard (please do not say GE..yes, I know..) are no different to anyone else in that at the end of the day, if a customer demands to do things a certain way, other than give them options, you cannot endorse officially a way of structuring property loans etc as it encroaches on giving financial advice.) If I can give you an example, I have been with the non bnak lender in question for a while now, and one of my first ‘big’ loan applications was for a client that involved a larger amount, and wanted to refinance his PPOR to finance purchase of another residence, to use for his business, after some renos. I listened to what he was trying to achieve, explained that he would perhaps be better off paying a bit of LMI and keeping both loans sperate, and owning one of the properties outright, even though in my gut I know I could have possibly ‘signed him up’ there and then crossing both properties, but did not. And do you know what? lo and behold even after allowing for a bit of travel to get there after hours, scrubbing one of my mag wheels on his gutter, (should have taken the Daewoo instead of the Ghia dammit) and explaining things as clearly as possible, he went with his bank (CBA) who strongly recommended cross collatoralising the properties, and his accountant also pressured him to do it this way. The only reason I mention that is to show that the old adage of ‘you can lead a horse to water but can’t make it drink; does apply sometimes with the borrower and their accountant, rahter than the lender. Cost me some time and money, and taught me another lesson in the school of life…….And as far as ‘no doc’ goes, Wizard do a ‘Lodoc’ investment loan at 70% LVR that simply requires a declaration of affordability – no income dec involved. All the best with your journey. Take care.[strum]

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.