All Topics / Finance / How do we establish equity partners?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of NOVONOVO
    @novo

My husband and I have been in the property investing game for several years but are still struggling to gain momentum. Over the years, I have kept up to date with what is happening around the country, often picking ‘hotspots’ before they boom, but never being in a financial position to do anything about it. Four years ago, we were planning to buy property in Perth, but it didn’t eventuate. Grrrrr…… [angry2]

We currently have 3 investment properties (all negatively geared) and are in the process of selling one (it was a ‘knock-down / rebuild’ project that we had planned to on-sell) to ease the crippling financial burden we have been under over the last couple of years and to allow us to move forward with our property investing. When we bought the knock-down property 2.5 years ago, we based our calculations on a selling price in the early to mid $600K range. In the week before Xmas, we received an offer of $710K, a week after the property went on the market.

We have identified several development opportunities in our region involving knocking down dumps and building new houses or duplexes. The most enticing project involves a waterfront property selling for $600K. There is a weekender on the block which we would knock down and replace with a duplex at around $600K. The total outlay would therefore be around $1.2 million. Based on property values for much older homes in the area, we would expect around $900 K for each duplex unit, resulting in a gross profit of $600K, less interest, etc.

Once the sale of our IP goes thru’, we would be able to borrow around $550K – not enough to pursue the project on our own. Approaching family members is out of the question, as is asking friends (we were burnt by a couple of friends a few years ago on a property investment).

Where do we find equity partners? Has anyone else tackled (and conquered) this problem?

Anne.

Profile photo of kylieskylies
    @kylies

Hi
    You could look at the option of borrowing through developer finance. You can borrow up to 85% GRV (final value of your project) for full doc and 75% for lodoc.

For example only lodoc at 75% of the final value ie: you metioned approx 900K each , thats $1.8K, 75% of that is $1.35 which would allow:
    $600K + costs for your land purchase
    $600K for your construction costs
    Plus a little left over if you needed it to cover some interest costs for the year of construction.
    Interest rates vary for this product but approx 9-11.5% for lodoc

I hope this info helps

Kylie S
    Mortgage Consultant & Property Investor
    [email protected]

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

You just have to keep asking, go to various meetings relating to investors, talk to mortgage brokers, solicitors, real estate agents etc.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    [email protected]
    Send an email to get my newsletter.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie

Quite often an equity partner can be as close as your circle of friends/contacts.
    If you find a deal and can’t do it alone, and you have a few ‘cashed up’ friends, run the deal by them and give them the opportunity to see all the details. They may be receptive.

Cheers,
    Marc.
    [email protected]

“we get sent lemons; it’s up to us to make lemonade”

Profile photo of HookhamCHookhamC
    @hookhamc

From the information you have supplied a good MB should be able to help you out with that one.

All the best! [specool]

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.