All Topics / Help Needed! / What Qualities should your agent have?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Profile photo of SargeantSargeant
    @sargeant

I am a licenced Real Estate Agent in South East Qld Brisbane.
    To improve my service I thought I would ask you all as you all have had dealings with Real Estate agents as to what skills and qualites do you and don’t you desire in your Real Estate agents.

You help will be appreciate [thumbsupanim]

Thanks

Aslam Sargeant
    0408 730 295
    http://www.randwmarsden.com.au

Profile photo of Stuart MilneStuart Milne
    @stuart-milne

The ability to sell, and more importantly to listen. I am selling a property as we speak and the agent I had first listed the property with had decided to shotgun everyone and anyone through the doors in the hopes of getting a contract. to the extent that he took a mother and son through who wanted a two storey house with self contained downstairs living unit (granny flat) through and then wondered why i delisted the proeprty with him?

Basically if you cant listen to the customers you sure as hell cant listen to your clients. therefore no deal…

Stuart Milne

Profile photo of Nat23Nat23
    @nat23

Hi There,

As per the last post I agree with him. I have tried to sell my house in Perth through an agent for four months. I thought that I was doing the right thing by employing the Principle/Licensee of the company but I was wrong. He had the sit back and do nothing approach. I did agree with his method so some extent as you don’t want the agent to be all over you while you are trying to make one of the biggest decisions of you life but then on the other hand he took it to far by sitting cross legged in front of my gas heater handing a information sheet to people as they walk through. In the end I ended the listing agreement and sold the property privately.

Now I am a Real Estate Settlement Agent so I have to deal with the clients once you have sold the property. The way I deal with different clients is by assessing what type of person they are from the time I either meet them in person or talk to them over the phone. The only things that my clients want are the following:

Information (lots of it)
    Listen to your clients (write notes) clients feel as though they can walk away from you knowing that you have taken their questions and them seriously
    Quick response to questions (same day)
    RESPECT.

I hope this helps
    Nat23 (Natalie Briggs)
    0410837558[snitch]

Profile photo of XeniaXenia
    @xenia

To have a clue about what the words “investment property” mean!

I am an investor that had to get an agent’s license to do what I have always been doing. Before I got a license, I thought that I knew alot more about investing than the average agent. Now I’m absolutely sure of it!!!

The general consensus agent’s have is that investment properties are those things purchased by “rich” people because “they can afford them”

Investors are rich because they were born that way, someone came and gave them money to buy properties with.

They have no concept of leverage!

They advertise that they will find you a good tenant that will “look after your home”
    No concept of risk management or vacancy control, might as well offer to wrap the “home:” in cotton wool to protect it from those bad tenants that just want to put marks in the walls!!!

I see them and deal with them every day and as an investor agents just FRUSTRATE THE HELL OUT OF ME!!!!!!

We are looking for staff for our business at the moment, I can very easily walk into the real estate institute and ask for suitable candidates, but they will give me agents trained by agents. I would rather take an investor and train them to list, sell or property manage rather than take an agent and expect them to grow some kind of intelligence!!!!

Investment Property Management
    http://www.adprop.com.au

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie
    Originally posted by Sargeant:

I am a licenced Real Estate Agent in South East Qld Brisbane.
    To improve my service I thought I would ask you all as you all have had dealing with Real Estate agents as to what skills and qualites do you and don’t you desire in your Real Estate agents.

You help will be appreciate [thumbsupanim]

Thanks

Aslam Sargeant
    0408 730 295
    http://www.randwmarsden.com.au

Do the opposite of about 90% of all agents and you can’t go wrong.

But seriously;
    1. Honesty.
    2. Integrity.
    3. Communication.
    4. Putting the interests of your Vendor ahead of your own because it is the Vendor who is paying you.
    5. Become Investment Property educated – very few agents are.

Cheers,
    Marc.
    [email protected]

Profile photo of wayne10539wayne10539
    @wayne10539

Dr X

I totally agree with you, about the majority of real estate agents, they dont see the picture from the investors eyes. I dont know how many times i asked questions of them, and they have had no idea about property investing.

To have a clue about what the words “investment property” mean!

I am an investor that had to get an agent’s license to do what I have always been doing. Before I got a license, I thought that I knew alot more about investing than the average agent. Now I’m absolutely sure of it!!!

I have been an investor for the last ten years, and have joined the ranks of being a real estate agent myself in the last 12 months. I was offered the position when the local agent discovered i was moving into one of the properties that they were managing. Property Investing was something that i have a passion for, and seen it as a natural progression of my investing in property.

In the small town that i live and work, i would predict that 50% of them are investors. I get a kick out of hearing successful stories and admire those that are in the process of buying and building there portfolios.

An agent could easily increase his sales by asking vendors to supply a depreciation schedule, or just simply have the information that investors want to hear at hand, return on investment, capital and rental growth over set period. People expect and deserve to hear back from agents on the same day, even if they are unable to get the O&A signed, or just dont have the information, they want to be kept informed and treated as if there enquries or concerns are important.

Often people sell there home when they dont have to, the equity that they have, can enable them to still hold on to there home as an investment property and still be able to relocate or buy elsewhere. Often i will let clients know that there is other options, and have missed out on sales, but i know that a good turn will be eventually repaid in the future, and when they are ready to buy a property in my area, that they will most likely give me a call.

I only work part time, 2 days a week, and it certaintly is a job that has its draw backs, low income, unable to borrow to continue investing, despite heaps of equity. It is not a job that i would even consider doing in the city, as it is a very cut throat industry, where people easily lose their values of integrity, loyalty and trust in exchange for financial self gain.

Regards

Wayne

Profile photo of SargeantSargeant
    @sargeant

Thanks guys, Keep them coming.

What’s the best way for somebody to become investment educated?

very cut throat industry, where people easily lose their values of integrity, loyalty and trust in exchange for financial self gain.

Yes the industry is cut throat and it is hard to stay true to your own values when you see other agents buying listing (the practice of over pricing properties in order to gain listings) and lining their pockets, because they gain the exclusive and beat the vendor down in their price in the 60 day period.

I loose lots of listings buy not buying them and you can become frustrated and poor.

I also hold on to the belief that I work for the vendor, I get a lot of slack from the low ballers out there demanding I take ridiculous offers to the vendors. My come back to them is only this “when you sell your property who are you going to go too the guy that brings low offers or the one who works hard to bring you the price you had hope to achieved?”

Thanks Guys again keep them coming.

Thanks

Aslam Sargeant
    0408 730 295

I

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie

I don’t know the answer to how you combat ‘listing buying’. It is endemic in the industry – it’s very difficult to get a listing without doing it unfortunately. Having said that, I know some very successful (and truthful) agents. It took a long time and lots of hard times, but the people in their neighborhood know and respect them and they get the business.

On getting educated; do what we have all done;
    read lots and lots of books on investing, learn all the strategies, terms and words associated with investing and get out there and buy one or two I.P properties yourself to get some hands on experience.

If you have been in the r/e industry for a while you should have a good head-start on it, but investors want to know the ‘nuts and bolts’ side of the equations – not just that it has 3 beds and a new walk in robe in the master bedroom.

Things we like to know about are;
    what is the rent return, rental vacancy rate, depreciation, interest rates, outgoings on the property such as rates, water, body corp fees, stamp duty, landlord insurance, management fees, proximity to amenities such as schools, parks, shops, transport.
    The size of the building, when it was built, land size, zoning, future plans by the local council which may affect the neighborhood.
    Local and (more importantly – reliable) pest/building inspectors and tradesman.
    These are just a few aspects.

Cheers,
    Marc.
    [email protected]

Profile photo of blogsblogs
    Participant
    @blogs

Dont treat customers like idiots-looked at a place on the weekend, was initially told they were to notify the vendors of all offers with a 3 in front, went and had a look, the <edited> agent then tells me ‘we have had lots of interest in the mid to high threes, around $380k should see you get it’ So I send an email to the agent saying sorry but thats alot more than we think its worth-next thing the dick that took us through rings up and says ‘although we have had a lot of interest in offers in the high 3’s the highest standing offer at the moment is $330k, if you can offer $335 I think we could get you across the line'[blink] Im thinking what type of an idiot does he take me for? What happend to all the ‘interest’ int the high 3’s, and how do they gauge this apparent interest, do people walk in and go ‘gee I if I was going to put in an offer I think it would be about $380k’ lol

With that I politely told him thanks but no thanks and made a mental note to keep clear of these jokers if I ever need to sell

Profile photo of bridgebuffbridgebuff
    Participant
    @bridgebuff

I agree with most of the above.

One thing about handing low balling offers to the vendors. You as the agent have a reponsibility to submit all offers. That does not mean that you should not tell your clients what you think about the offer and advise them strongly against signing. Alternatively you can send signals to the buyer indicating that the buyer definetly will not look at any offer below asking price, or that the property has generated quite a bit of interest, so low balling will not be successful. But the experienced buyers will know it that is one of your standard lines or if you are genuine.

One mistake I think a lot of agents do is that they think because I am working for the vendor I cannot build up a good relationship with the buyers/investors. Take them serious as well.
    Listen, listen, listen. Ask questions to find out more what they are after. I generally appreciate if the agent makes a pre selection on his/her list and lets me know why he thinks this property may suit my needs.

Find out if investors are looking to subdivide, renovate, just sit and hold. If you think what possibilities of value adding a property has, you can also suggest this to potential buyers and get them interested because you give them ideas. If you have the time, a few phone calls to the relevant authorities may give you leverage.

All these ideas above are basically value adding. Compare yourself to a sales person in a hardware shop. If he/she is a tradesperson, has used the products before and is able to give the buyers help in completing their project, he will be successful without having to buy his/her business with super specials. But be careful, you don’t want to tell a tradie how to do his job.

Another area that will improve your leverage is to be in good contact with your property manager and know for each of your property what it would get in rent, what the current vacancy rates are, median rents (current and past). You may want to introduce potential buyers to your property manager. If he/she is good, the investor may come back and let you manage the property, even so you did not have a suitable property to buy. This way your company gets some business out of the investor and a good chance of a later sale.

I would also read diffent books about property investing to understand different philosophies. Steve’s followers are mainly looking to create cashflow positive deals. Other investors concentrate on other strategies. If you know how the buyer thinks, you are better able to help him/her.

If you have the time/inclination, you may even want to do some investing yourself. I would do this outside your normal area. Apart from making some money along the way, it would open your eyes to what investors are looking for.

Good luck

Profile photo of The ContrarianThe Contrarian
    @the-contrarian

Dishonest, untrustworthy and good ability to tell a lie or two.
    That’s what I like about real estate agents [cowboy2]

Profile photo of wayne10539wayne10539
    @wayne10539
    Originally posted by The Contrarian:

Dishonest, untrustworthy and good ability to tell a lie or two.
    That’s what I like about real estate agents [cowboy2]

Contrarian,

Have we had one too many bad experiences with real estate agents?

Finding the right agent can be a useful investing tool in your journey to building your investment portfolio.

Wayne

Profile photo of AmandaBSAmandaBS
    Participant
    @amandabs

Hi Aslam,

What a brave person you are, certainly everyone has lots of opinions. From my point of view for most people their home is their largest single asset so when it comes time to sell you need to select a Real Estate Agent carefully.

Firstly you need to feel confident about the agent and this can be determined by asking the following questions:
    • What industry experience do you have?
    • Are you familiar with the area and price range our house will be listed?
    • Can you provide a reference from a previous seller?
    • How many homes have you sold in the area recently?
    • How many days do you work and is the office open 7 days per week?
    • What feedback will you provide us with?
    • How do you qualify potential buyers?

Generally, a Real Estate Agent should have a professional image, be committed to the industry, and display a high standard of personal grooming. (Source: http://www.propertydivas.com.au)

Amanda
    “It is better to be inconspicuously wealthy, than to be ostentatiously poor…”

Profile photo of keen askeen as
    @keen-as

You should be able to relate to your agent, just plain comfortable with who they are!

http://www.goals2gether.com
    Commit your goals to the entire community! Find a partner and achieve your goals together! Goals2gether.com is the place to find real help from people who have and are achieving the same goals as you!

Profile photo of XeniaXenia
    @xenia

How about just being loyal to the vendors???

One of the properties we had listed once had another agent trying to sell it a few weeks before us (unsuccessfully!)

At an open inspection, one of the potential purchasers informed us that the other agent told them that if they put in an offer $50,000 below what the vendor is hoping for, they would get the property!!!

The truth was that the vendor would have accepted a lower offer, we knew it and the other agent knew it, however, that information should be kept confidential, not for purchasers to know EVER!!!

I think blatenly telling purchasers that the vendor would accept a lower offer is just plain dishonest and a form of betrayal to the people that agents are meant to be working for. And this is not a once off case, it happens all the time!!! [angry2]

Investment Property Management
    http://www.adprop.com.au

Profile photo of bridgebuffbridgebuff
    Participant
    @bridgebuff

“The truth was that the vendor would have accepted a lower offer, we knew it and the other agent knew it, however, that information should be kept confidential, not for purchasers to know EVER!!! “

I think there is a fine line between keeping this information confidential and also getting the sale. If the vendor is desparate and somebody is obviously not putting in an offer at the asking price, I do not think it is against the vendors interest to indicate to the buyer that a lower offer may be accepted. There is certainly an art to it. And the agent should only give the buyer information that does not ‘hurt’ the vendor.
    In your example enticing an offer of $25,000 below asking price may be a win-win. The buyer thinks he gets a bargain and the vendor still gets $25,000 more that his minimum sale price.
    This is were a good agent also knows his market.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.