All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Advice needed.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of MunnoMunno
    @munno

What if vendor request not to go ahead with settlement two days prior to settlement date.

What are my options?

What about all the expence/purchase I made for that house? e.g. renovation, kitchen etc.

Please help me.

Regards,

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

You probably have a binding contract if you have gone that far, so the ball is in your court.

I think you have the following options:
    a) You can let me off without penalty, or b) let them off with an agreed amount or c) you can insist they settle as per the contract. If they fail to settle you can sue them for breaching the contract. You had better check with your solicitor. Not sure how much you could claim if suing but you should be able to at least claim for all the expenses incurred.

Good luck and let us know what happens please.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Parramatta
    [email protected]
    Just send me a blank email, with “subscribe” in subject line.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of MunnoMunno
    @munno

Terry,

If I choose option (C), how long it takes for resolution in court and what are the cost involved taking them to court?

With option (B), what if they don’t want to pay my losses?

Regards,

@munno

cumon people, I really do need help and opinions.

Regards,

Profile photo of v8ghiav8ghia
    @v8ghia

Munno, are you using a solicitor or a conveyancer? What state are you in? That can make a difference. is it the vendor has changed there mind (which is their problem I think) or is it something you are unaware of such as their bank has dissallowed them from setling, for example if they owe the bank more than the home was going to be settled for. You will find your contract states clearly the penalties and proceedures in NSW from memory? Did you have a signed agreement for early accesss to allow rennovations? You will find some of the more experienced forum members / regulars will see your post over the weekend and offer some input. I don’t think you will find ‘option C’ takes too long, which depending on the circumstances sounds like what you are thinking. Meanwhile, a bit more info/specifics such as the questions I have asked will help others with the reply. All the best.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

It could take a while.

If they fail to settle, I guess you would issue a statement of claim. You have to go to court, fill out some forms, and have them served. They will be notified to attend court. If they don’t attend, you could get a default judgment. If they do attend, then the court officer will ask if you have settled the matter? If no, they may say go outside and talk about it. If not resolved, then they will list the matter to be heard on a future date. This may be another month later. You will be asked how many witnesses will be called etc. I have sued someone, but it never went this far, so not sure what happens next. I think you turn up on the day, and you present your case, and they present theirs. You may then get a decision = a Judgment.

Even if you are able to get a judgment, then you need to enforce it. They may not pay you, so then you have to take further action including applying for the sheriff to go and seize their goods or garnish their wages etc. You can get them into the court and get them to list their assets too – so you know if they can pay and possibly what you can go for. This is called an examination summons.

If the judgment debt is over a certain amount, I think $2000, you can apply to have them bankrupt. They must respond to the notice of bankruptcy within 28 days. Usually this jolts people into paying.

Costs will depend on how far it goes. Issuing a Statement of liquidated claim costs around $150. But this also depends on how large the debt is. To serve a document can cost from around $20 to $100. You can actually go to court on your own. No real need for a solicitor. Just read up on it, and maybe attend a few beforehand to know the procedure.

And, if you don’t know where they are located, there may be expenses in finding them as if required (sometimes) to serve documents on them. eg. Notice of Bankruptcy has to be served to the actual person.

If they resist, the whole thing could take up to a year – especially if they use delaying tactics. Things usually never get this far, as most would be concerned about rising legal costs and losing and being forced to pay the other parties costs. So many give in and make an offer early on.

What state are you in? This is what happens in NSW, other states may be slightly different.

I would suggest you get a book on contract law (look for stuff in second hand uni bookshops) and look at local court websites etc.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Parramatta
    [email protected]
    Just send me a blank email, with “subscribe” in subject line.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of elkamelkam
    @elkam

Hello Munno

I’m a great believer in DIY but not in this situation. The first thing I would do is ring my solicitor. You have a lot of your time and money invested in the property. I assume you had written permission to start reno before settlement?

Good luck
    Elka

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie
    Originally posted by Munno:

What if vendor request not to go ahead with settlement two days prior to settlement date.

What are my options?

What about all the expence/purchase I made for that house? e.g. renovation, kitchen etc.

Please help me.

Regards,

Another (not so nice) option is to let the whole thing slide, then threaten to put a caveat on the property so the vendor can’t sell it until they pay your out of pocket costs you incurred in the process of this failed deal. Or, don’t tell them you are doing it and just do it. They will get a nasty surprise when they try to sell it later on. I have heard that real estate agents do this to try and get commissions they are owed. The only problem is you are still out of pocket for a length of thime.
    Good luck; don’t let this setback put you off – it’s one of the hazards of the job. Go out and get another deal.

Cheers,
    Marc.
    [email protected]

@munno

Thank you all for your advise. Answer to all your questions are as below:

v8ghia,

1.The person who represents me is conveyancer. He is very particular about his work and is straight to the point guy. No Bull…..
    2.I am in NSW.
    3.The example you gave is the reason they advised us for not being able to settle. How could that happen. Everyone knows where they stand with their finances and figures. How come two days prior to settlement they know about this. I just don’t get it.
    4.Contract sates 14 day notice. Failing of which, ball is in our court. Well, it still is.
    5.The word “renovation” use by me is not appropriate. What I meant to say is, I already have kitchen ready to put in, and few other things which I got it measured and ordered so that it could be put it straight after I get keys.

Terry,

Thank you for your broad explanation. I got the picture. Thanks again.

Elka,

Lets see what happens. Your question is answered in my answer to v8ghia’s questions.

Marc,

Good suggestion. At the moment, this whole thing has given us a very disappointing stroke and we are very depressed. Not sure if we every dare to buy property again.

One thing I have experienced in RE industry, if it goes wrong it leaves life time impression on your mind. Oh, and there isn’t much of ethics in this industry.

Regards,

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie
    Originally posted by Munno:

Thank you all for your advise. Answer to all your questions are as below:

v8ghia,

1.The person who represents me is conveyancer. He is very particular about his work and is straight to the point guy. No Bull…..
    2.I am in NSW.
    3.The example you gave is the reason they advised us for not being able to settle. How could that happen. Everyone knows where they stand with their finances and figures. How come two days prior to settlement they know about this. I just don’t get it.
    4.Contract sates 14 day notice. Failing of which, ball is in our court. Well, it still is.
    5.The word “renovation” use by me is not appropriate. What I meant to say is, I already have kitchen ready to put in, and few other things which I got it measured and ordered so that it could be put it straight after I get keys.

Terry,

Thank you for your broad explanation. I got the picture. Thanks again.

Elka,

Lets see what happens. Your question is answered in my answer to v8ghia’s questions.

Marc,

Good suggestion. At the moment, this whole thing has given us a very disappointing stroke and we are very depressed. Not sure if we every dare to buy property again.

One thing I have experienced in RE industry, if it goes wrong it leaves life time impression on your mind. Oh, and there isn’t much of ethics in this industry.

Regards,

You’re right; ethics is in short supply in r/e industry. Keep that in mind, but keep on investing.
    Experience, unfortunately, can be expensive.

Cheers,
    Marc.
    [email protected]

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.