All Topics / Finance / Need help with structuring

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of sarajhsarajh
    @sarajh

Hi all,

I desperately need some help in understanding the best way forward in structuring loans for future purchases.

We have our home and 2 invest props.

We have met someone who mentioned getting a global line of credit with Macquarie Bank and putting the rents from the props into our home loan and letting the global credit carry the debt of interest.

I can’t understand the benefit of doing this except for the emotional satisfaction of being able to say you own your house but have the debt elsewhere. Is there something I’m not getting.

Also (and sorry to be so long but have been stewing for some time) how much penalty would I be looking at if I fixed a 450k loan for 3 years and broke it after 2. No one seems able to give me an idea with this.

Thanks so much
    Sara

Profile photo of AmandaBSAmandaBS
    Participant
    @amandabs

Hi Sara and welcome to the PI forum.
    There are several very experienced finance brokers on this site who should be able to help you here, perhaps drop Richard Taylor a personal message. I’d also suggest you make an appointment with an Accountant, experienced in property investing, to ensure you structure your affairs to gain the maximum legal deductions.
    For further details on tax structures see the website http://www.propertydivas.com.au

Amanda
    “It is better to be inconspicuously wealthy, than to be ostentatiously poor…”

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

The person possibly suggested a LOC to enable paying interest on the investment with money from the LOC.

If you wish to extend your borrowing capacity as far as possible, I would be inclined to suggest you keep away from the likes of Macquarie for now. Try and stay with the major banks at 80% or less. Avoid the mortgage insurance companies altogether.

Try to borrow in single names rather than joint if possible. This will preserve and extend your No Doc borrowing capacity for later on if you hit your serviceability limit.

With fixed loans it is impossible to tell you in advance what the exit fees will be. It will depend on the rates at the time you exit. If the rates are higher, the bank will not lose out, so the exit will be low or possibly nil. This is because they can make more money by lending the money out at a higher rate after you pay back you loan.

But if rates have dropped, you could be up for highish exit fees, depending on how far the rates have dropped. So what you save on interest could all be eaten up. eg. I once sold a property that had a fixed loan, my exit fee was around $2000 on a $90,000 loan.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Parramatta
    [email protected]
    Just send me a blank email, with “subscribe” in subject line.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of sarajhsarajh
    @sarajh

Thanks Amanda and Terry for your input, really appreciated. Can I ask Terry, why you advise to stay away from Macquarie? I have heard they are aggressive, are there other reasons?

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Macquarie are good, but they are securitised lenders which means all over their loans are mortgage insured. even LVRs of 1%. Macquarie usually pay the LMI so the client may not realise.

If you wish or need to start using No Doc loans you have to plan ahead. Virtually all No Doc (and Low Doc) loans are mortgage insured, even the ones with the big banks. There are only 2 major LMI companies and they have restrictions on how much they will lend. They also have policies on not approving your No Doc loans if they know your income and you cannot service. eg. If you declare a $50,000 income with, say, Macquarie on a full doc loan application, then go to RAMS and try to get a No Doc loan, you don’t have to give your income details. But if you actually need $51,000 income to service, the RAMS mortgage insurer maybe the same as the one with Macquarie, and they will know your income and they will have to decline your loan because they know you cannot service.

So that is why I suggest using the big banks first where possible. Try to avoid LMI. Then when you hit the limit, start to use No/Low Doc loans. If you were to do this, start borrowing in one name only (not jointly with a partner). This will greatly improve your borrowing ability.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Parramatta
    [email protected]
    Just send me a blank email, with “subscribe” in subject line.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.