All Topics / Help Needed! / IS THE GREAT AUSTRALIAN DREAM FINALLY DEAD!!!!!!!!

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 117 total)
  • Profile photo of andyperry16andyperry16
    Participant
    @andyperry16

Peter,
    I am 22 and work in a warehouse for 35k per year, and guess what? i own 5 property’s!!
    dont be such a wimp!!
    I suggest you read some books by Robert Kiyosaki, And stop Winging!!!

Profile photo of dare_to_dreamdare_to_dream
    @dare_to_dream

hey mate,

thats a great story!

How can you afford to 5 IPs, be 22 years old and earn 35k pa??
    Are the properties in regional towns and are they cashflow positive?

Do you have a problem servicing the loans and how do you go about getting approval from the bank/lender to borrow more money?

Cheers

Paul[suave2]

Profile photo of andyperry16andyperry16
    Participant
    @andyperry16

Hi Paul,
    I worked really hard for two years before i came to Aus(yes im a pom, and dont mention the cricket!!!) working two jobs, buying and selling second hand cars and other bits and bobs. Managed to save 50k and bought a unit in perth 2 years ago for 180k, borrowing 140k, I then continued to work 3 jobs and save enough for IP back in the UK which gives me $600 pcm positive cashflow, i then bought a further 3 IP’s in the last six months using cashback offers(100% finance deals) also in the UK. The cashflow from my IP’s now cover my mortgage repayment,
    so i can now save most of my working income to buy more property.
    I think what some people need to understand is that even though the average house price in perth is 420k or so, that doesnt mean thats what you have to buy, There are still good deals to be had!! i saw a unit come on the market recently, 5 km from the CBD, needed some tlc but not anything major for 230k! If you get yourself in a strong position by working hard and making sacrifice then you can profit from oppurtunity, and i do feel embarrased to be a twentysomething when i hear such pathetic remarks like “its not fair, i cant do it, it was easier 20 years ago” If you keep saying and thinking that you will be 50 and still saying and thinking that.
    Figure out what you need to do it, then put your head down and get on with it.
    Anybody that has done well financally has done so because they went out and did things others were not prepared to do, its that simple, i think!!!
    it can be done Peter, Dont give up!!!!

Profile photo of celesteceleste
    Participant
    @celeste

Hi all

You could always do what I did, moved out when I was 18 and earing $180.00 p.w and that was pretty good then.

I rented a penhouse ( 4 bed, laundry,bath,2 garages) at $85.00pw
    I rented out the other 3 rooms for a fixed amount p.w which included elec, groceries etc. to friends of course.

I worked the amount the other 3 paid so well I paid nothing to live there – I didn’t even pay for my own food – excellant.

If I had been a little more savvy then, re realestate I could have been buying it.

There is always a solution if you want it bad enough!!!

Celeste

Profile photo of mantisdancermantisdancer
    @mantisdancer

I totally understand how you feel. I am in the same situation, so in determination I just looked at other avenues a little ‘out of the box’ from all the educational CD’s I’ve been listening to. I share these in case one triggers you to give it a go.

1) When getting to know an area, I drove street by street to found the worst house in the best street and even though it wasn’t for sale, I approached the home owner to see if they wanted to sell.
    This hasn’t paid off yet, but I’ve got nothing to lose. My hope is that just by persistence that I will find someone who wants out and I may find a bargain.

2) I started talking about my property ideas and goals to a select few who I knew could invest, but didn’t have the time. My parents don’t own their home, so I couldn’t go there, so I asked my older friends. A friend of mine has $ and equity to invest but not the time, so I bought the CD on doing a joint venture (this is a partnership type thing in property) by Rob Balanda & you can also buy info on this from Reno Kings who you can pay to hire as a mentor to set up the first one. This way I do the hard renovation work in my evenings and weekends and he funds it all. We share in the profits on sale. I haven’t sold it yet, but when we do, I will have enough deposit to add to my savings for one of my own. He’s happy, & I’m happy.

Don’t give up buddy. I hear your frustrations. Just channel those into trying one practical step to move forward. If the one I am trying above doesn’t work for you, then ask others for more practical hints to get started. I am sure there are other ways.

You are right, the investing world is different to when our parents grew up. But you know, that’s what makes us x Genners so resilient – we are used to coping with change so we just find another way around it. I’m not going to let circumstances dictate my life. You can choose that too. Sure we acknowledge our frustrations and weaknesses in our financial position, then channel this energy to find a different way out.

P.S. The other thing I do is keep getting educated, so I am better understanding and recognising my practical options – I feel more empowered this way too. I have a few friends who split the cost of educational resources and we share them. This might help too.

Profile photo of The firemanThe fireman
    @the-fireman

Peter,Peter. Yes i’m a baby boomer but sorry mate a fact of life is that most people start of the same way. I started of in a very poor paid job, way below the average. I worked 6 to 7 days a week (2 jobs) just to pay the essential family bills, no holidays, dinners out not even a TV. It took ten (10yrs) to get the deposit for our first modest home.
    I was proud of my efforts when it finally eventuated.

Six years ago i was wiped out by a divorce settlement that left me with no home, no cash, zero superannuation, zero long service and a very poor attitude to starting out in life again. BUT i still had a average paying job (similar to yours) and through emotional help got the determination to start again. Today i’m in a great financial position, and Yes i own houses that fit my budget, cash flow and speculative parameters, and i rent where i want to live. I once again have very little in the way of nicities of life but have a financial future that is very bright indeed, and nowdays i reward myself with “luxuries” from time to time.

Peter as in all of life our realities and expectations are governed by our attitude and education on relevant subjects. Just trawl the internet, magazines, books and agents for comparative prices and rental returns till you become “educated”, dont give up, look for opportunities expect them to come and they will. Keep a positive attitude and never never give up.

Cheers
    [strum][medieval]

Profile photo of jeffwiesejeffwiese
    @jeffwiese

Australia is a rich country with great opportunity
    You can achieve or get anything you want in life if you have a positive attitude and work out HOW to fulfill your dreams
    It is IMPOSSIBLE for you to do that with your current attitude
    May I suggest you do yourself a favour and read books such as The Richest Man in Babylon, The Secret, As A Man Thinketh, Bob Proctor etc etc.

Profile photo of bessie19bessie19
    Participant
    @bessie19

Dear peter

Depends how much do you want the Australaian dream and what are you going to give up to get it. It’s that simple. It’s a matter of mathematics. There is an element of defeatism in your post. You have a choice to make a difference and there is a wealth of free information out there.

If it is property investment you are after, get information from active experienced investors. Ask the question,if you were starting out now what would you do? Consider their views within your own context. Start small (as in achiveable) to build confidence and get a support net work around you. (An experience inestor) Just start you will learn as you go along. It’s an emotional roller coaster ride.

I am a baby boomer who started very late in property, and certainly talked about property investment for a heck of a long time before doing anything. Had lots of reasons why I could not do it and it all seemed to hard.

My personal story is that I am on my own as of 5 yrs ago with and have increased my equity to 2 mill with 25% debt. I work in an office full time. I have six properties now and intend to retire in 3 years. It isn’t all peaches and cream but it is doable. The goal is financial independence before retirement age.

Bessie

Profile photo of SyrenaSyrena
    @syrena

Greetings!!

The great Australian Dream of owning your own house will never be dead. It will not be easy to get into the housing market and it never was (not even for the boomers of which you seem to have some sort of issue with).

You may have read a report that shows the median house price in Perth at $490K some 12 times your earnings. I have found a house in Brunswick (near Burekup) that is up to 7 times you gross income (using your “boomer” data) ie $280K which says (using your logic) that there is housing in your own city that is similarly attainable to those of your parents/uncles/aunties day.

“How are we ever meant to afford THAT!!!!!!” The same way as everyone else does/did. Develop a strategy and exploit all the options that you have available to you that were not even available in the 90’s (lo doc loans, 106% finance packages, First Home Buyers Grant, syndicates with your mates, etc). Leave you parents money out of it unless you can work out a deal as part of your options. I would guess that like most “boomers” they had no assistance from their families either (dead or alive).

Perhaps you should consider another job to help create your deposit? That’s what I did. In fact, I had three jobs at one point because inflation was rampant in 1976 onwards to “the recession we had to have”. There was no way I could save up for a deposit without doing the extra hours/jobs.

The average wage in this country is closer to $65K and a typical factory worker in a medium sized business earns about $40K without overtime. Given that the average wage is somewhat higher than your earnings doesn’t that give you hope that there is bigger bucks out there? Go after it but it will mean trading more of your time. You may be better off getting creative with property isn’t that why you have gotten involved with PropertyInvesting?

Most kids of today “just don’t care” for the same reason as most kids didn’t care back in the day either. Your research clearly hasn’t pulled out th old adage of the “boomers” “tune in drop out” or words to that effect. They were the views of losers as “drugs” are the views of losers today. But don’t worry when the majority og boomers were tuning in and dropping out and smoking dope others were flat out developing their future. Guess what, they live very well in their own house and either have a business and/or a professional rewarding career and/or investments (properties/shares) or all of the above.

If you truly believe that “the dream” has been taken away from you then I challenge your belief mechanisms. I personally can’t believe that you have gone into debt in order to study for a qualification without a vision for what that qualification would mean for you in the future. You had a vision, right?

You’re staying at home longer because you have got it made there.

Thank your parents for letting you stay with them and offer to pay board as well (at least to 80% of the market rate) rather than “bagging” them out. My daughter and fiance have just bought themselves their first house in a Sydney suburb. They have taken out a mortgage of close to $400K to do it. He is a factory worker, she is a student pilot and works as a receptionist. He cleared a sizeable car debt first then saved and worked his ass off to do it. He is 24 she is 21. The difference between you and them can be summed up this way: you look at real estate and say “I can’t afford it” they look at the same thing and say “How can we afford it”?

“Houses are appreciating at a faster rate than peoples ability to save the deposit required”. This is no different to 1976 and it will be the same for your kids as well. Best you get into the water as quickly as you can lest you sink before you even start.

WHATS THE POINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rising to the challenge just like you did to get your degree. It wasn’t given to you because someone thought you should have it and nor will anything else be given to you for that matter.

Happy future building.

Profile photo of condogcondog
    Participant
    @condog

Peter

I left school in 1989 in the middle of the last major housing boom. Inflation was rife, interest rates were at 18%, and unemployment for people 18 to 25 was between 10% in the city up to 60% in country areas.

I had to move to sydney and do volunteer work in real estate agents to get my foot in the door as a property manager on $69pw. After rent petrol, rego and basic food i had $2pw.

We battled on as house prices hit totally unattainable levels. All the same headlines about housing unnafordability were around in 1989 – 1993 or so.

Time, wage rises, career opportunities fix everything.

In 1993 i went to uni and graduated in 1998 with you geussed it not a dollar to my name and a HECS debt. But by 1998 the headlines had changed. Housing was now at best afordability in 15 years. So we took the plunge. We tightened the budget, selling inside two years to buy two blocks of dirt. We are now set for life. A few wage rises and a property market boom once your an owner of one or two properties and you will never look back.

If i could do it differently i would have bought an investment property in about 1992 as even post boom thse prices have more than doubled before the next boom even started.

If you look at it from a pure financial standpoint, then the last house you buy should be the one you live in yourself.

Peter dont give up. It is a huge step when you first buy but it rapidly gets better as your wages and ental income rise and your mortgage stays the same. And from then on it gets easier faster and faster.

Read Robert Kiyosaki Rich Dads Retire Rich Retire Young
    two things to note
    1. Expand your context – the context you operate in limits you to that reality
    2. The assets you own increases your wealth exponentially
    (Assetts are only things that pay you more moneythan they cost)

Profile photo of fannfann
    @fann

Hi Pete Hutchy
    I have finally stopped playing my violin after reading your pathetic post.
    I was 14 when I started work in 1969 and I had nothing. I have worked very hard all my life, watched both my parents die when i was 21years old. They were middle class citizens, builder and home duties, and they died from over use of alcohol and cigarettes. It was hard for me at 21 to watch them die, then to find the cash to bury both of them. I then married and had 3 boys, we divorced 15 years later due to infidelities on the part of my ex-husband. I struggled for years to bring my kids up due to the smart tactics of my chartered account ex-husband. Now 17 years later, I am looking at 3 uni-educated boys (the last one now in his final year at uni). I have remarried and even with all the crap I have had to deal with in my past, I now own my own home (spent $202,000 to build it in 1996 and it is now worth $700,000 with a $175,000 debt that I have had to do to educate and look after my kids in the past- rent would be $600 per week; I own an investment property that cost me $120,000 to build and now worth $350,000 with a $69,000 debt – rent is $315 per week, and have just purchased another investment property worth $98,500 with a $98,500 debt – rent is $202 per week. All totally CF+. This took me 16 years to accumulate – not flash but all working well.

All of this was done with common sense, a lot of backbreaking hard work and a determination NOT to end up like my parents.

So I hope that when you are shooting up ice through your clean veins and you are lying on the dirty cement floor of a dark alley somewhere, that someone in your family loves you enough to bury you and get on with their lives. Because, you certainly sound like you destest people who worked hard and you now want someone else to do hand you something on a platter.

It’s out there – you just have to have the determination to go get it. Start slowly, buy something small and with the proper advice and learning tools, you will get there someday.

My advice is “stop whinging” – those older people have their hard luck stories, they just don’t dwell on them !!!!!!!

…………………….or buy a box of tissues and keep crying !!!

Janice Maxfield – Mackay Queensland[biggrin]

Profile photo of bridgebuffbridgebuff
    Participant
    @bridgebuff

I love this post.

There is no ‘educational’ information, but a lot of great stories and attitudes.

Keep it up

Profile photo of annb7annb7
    Participant
    @annb7

Hi Peter,
    Sorry to hear that you feel that that way. You do have some valid points, but need to work out a solution. My son is 21 years old, works fulltime, is 5th year law student at university doing 3 – 4 modules per semester. He also has a HECS debt. He bought his first investment property last May 06 and then went on a trip to Europe in September 06 for 5 weeks. He finds solutions to any hurdles that may be blocking the things he wants to achieve. His property at present is negatively geared, but has a fairly good outlook for capital growth. He is currently looking at purchasing investment properties with me which can be positively geared. Granted my hubby and myself helped him with the deposit for his first property. Find someone who you can start investing with. Look for a solution. There are heaps of things you could look at to get a head start in the market. You don’t particularly have to purchase in WA. Brisbane is a great market at present. Start with an investment property first before purchasing a house for yourself. “In my day” I was a stay at home mum. I only entered the work market 5 years ago. Before I did, I had to go back to study to get certs like you to be able to land a job with a good income. We lived on one wage for 15 years. We had to make huge sacrifices to survive with 3 kids, feeding, clothing, educating etc. Sometimes eating rice, spuds, mince and sausages for months on end. I don’t want to lecture, but not all of us in ‘my day’, had it easy. Think positive and it will flow back to you. Setout to achieve your goals no matter what. Don’t let money, time or anything else stand in the way of what you want! Trust me I was where you are now for years. Read and educate yourself on ways to achieve your goals. YOU CAN DO IT!
    Anne

Profile photo of romina and lucaromina and luca
    @romina-and-luca

What are you talking about. I was in the same situation as you and I still have a topic open called “Desperately trying to figure something out” yet I am not going off my nut at the world.. yes there have been trying times (when I first moved here from Italy I moved in with my parents and my brother lived there too…. not nice back then) and my husband and newborn lived in our bedroom.. my mum’s house needs reno and my husband’s skin crawled everytime we woke up at night with cockroaches on us… yet the house was not dirty, just full of gaps everywhere…. then we went on a limb.. bought a cheap house (mind you it was 220K) and renovated it inside and out.. now it is worth apparently 280+ and rising but we are not intending to sell.. If we wanted to we could rent this one out or sell it, buy another, renovate and sell etc.. etc.. and go back to my parent’s house…. but NO WAY.. rather sit here and wait for some opportunity to come along. We have been living on my husband’s income (approx 35K gross), paying off a mortgage, bills and raising a (now) 2 year old on that money.. and we made it.. I recently started work again as I wanted more stability and maybe now we can consider PI or doing something to increase our income… My husband has gone cutting grass in the neighbourhood, we had a second job cleaning from 11pm to 3am every fri, sat and sun, and now I even started an online giftstore “viva gifts” (anyone feel free to buy! http://www.vivagifts.com.au).. in the hope we “make it”.

I am not trying to sound like we deserve a medal, but THAT in my books is called “trying”.[eh]

Romina and Luca (and bubba Nicolas)

Profile photo of romina and lucaromina and luca
    @romina-and-luca

Is the cup half empty or half full?

ohh definitely half full![thumbsup2]

Romina and Luca (and bubba Nicolas)

Profile photo of mimarandamimaranda
    @mimaranda

Foundation, I’m not sure that I follow the logic of your housing bubble crash ‘rant’. What it doesn’t take into account is increased demand for housing through population increase and migration. As the global population booms, and migration increases, surely that will place increased demand on housing stock and therefore prices? After all, the amount of land available for housing, particularly around the major cities, is fairly limited and is likely to remain so. The basic law of supply and demand indicates that house prices will continue to rise over time rather than crash, simply because more and more people are bidding for the same parcels of land. What do others think about the likelihood of a house price crash?

Profile photo of fallboyfallboy
    @fallboy

Peter dont give up so easy. I bought my first property at 20 while earing about $25Kpa. I was a tight arse 100% of the time while saving my deposit. I was fortunate that I could live at home for free up until I bought a place but I also worked hard to save money.

I used to ride a bicycle to work in rain hail or shine to save $3 a day on petrol.
    I use to make my own lunch every day to save $5-$10.
    I use to cash and my holidays so I could go and work elsewhere.
    I used to draw my living money (about 35% of my pay) out of the bank every 8 days so that every 7th week I would have double, and I could then save more.

Sacrifices must be made and risks must be taken for progress to happen.

I now work full time in a job with a wage a bit above average. I have $20kpa in passive income from my two properties. In the last 5 years I have aquired about $500k in equity and paid about $30k off loans. I will buy another or upgrade one of my properties in the next 18 months.

The opportunities are out there. There is a peice of gold somewhere just waiting for you to find it. The more rocks you look under the more gold you will find. You wont find your gold by sitting back smoking bongs and doing crack.

Profile photo of poperrpoperr
    @poperr

I think one person (Peter) has never received so much attention!! I think he has received enough backlash for his comments.

“What do others think about the likelihood of a house price crash?” I would also like to hear?

Rob

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

Peter, I have been 3 years out of university without successful employment. Yes $40,000 isn’t much but in a couple of years you will not be still on $40,000. I’ve given up on being employed as a graduate.
    You should start off small buy a small unit to start with and work at paying it off. Then once your wage increases and your equity you will be able to sell and trade up / replace with a bigger place or buy a 2nd property.

Comments are of a general nature and may not be relevant to your individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie
    Originally posted by poperr:

I think one person (Peter) has never received so much attention!! I think he has received enough backlash for his comments.

“What do others think about the likelihood of a house price crash?” I would also like to hear?

Rob

And so say all of us! Can we all stop saving him now please.

As for the crash – didn’t we just have it? According to pundits the recovery has started.

Cheers,
    Marc.
    [email protected]

“we get sent lemons; it’s up to us to make lemonade”

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 117 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.