All Topics / Finance / Getting approval

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of dare_to_dreamdare_to_dream
    @dare_to_dream

Hi guys,

I’ve graduated from Uni in 2005 and I am busy saving up money for a deposit for a house. I have almost saved up $20,000, I have a car and am boarding at a friends house for $150 p/w including all bills and food. I have two questions that I want advice about:

Firstly, even though i’m probably not looking at buying until early next year how soon before buying should I get pre-approval? Also, if I go through a mortgage broker is it going to cost me anything to get pre-approval? Also, what happens if I get pre-approval from one bank and in a few weeks time another lender offers better interest rates?

Secondly, is it better to buy a house, take the FHOG and live in it for 6months and then move back with my friend and rent it out, or should I buy in immediately as an IP and not get the FHOG? Keeping in a mind I don’t have a lot of furniture so I would have to buy all that stuff if I want to live in it.

Thanks
    Paul [suave2]

Profile photo of d_robb21d_robb21
    Participant
    @d_robb21

Hi Paul,

congrats on taking your first steps towards property investing, now onto your questions:

1. No it won’t cost you anything to get a pre-approval.
    2. I don’t think there are any implications to having multiple pre-approvals, essentially you’re running a scenario and filling in paperwork to speed up the process should you find a property. Bear in mind though that the preapprovals with have a 3-6 month lifespan before you need to resubmit paperwork.

3. With regards to FHOG and whether you should take it or not, guess this is dependant on your personal financial situation. I.e does the first home owner grant offset any rental income, depreciation, interest payment tax offsets, etc etc that you could be claiming for that 6 month period that you’ll be occupying your house. I recently watched a report on one of the evening news shows where a financial advisor told a 23 yo girl to buy an investment property and not take the FHOG, granted she was living with her parents so her living costs were low. Guess what I’m saying is crunch your numbers and see what works best for you.

D.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Pre approvals are only valid for 3 months generally. So it is better not to get in there too early.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Parramatta
    [email protected]
    Just send me a blank email, with “subscribe” in subject line.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of dare_to_dreamdare_to_dream
    @dare_to_dream

Hi,

Thanks for your responses. It sounds like its not worth the hassle of pre-approvals until i’m serious about submitting offers. Does that mean that pre-approvals specify the bank/institue that the approval has been given? I will assume so unless otherwise told.

I suppose its hard to crunch numbers the first time for a property when I don’t know how much depreciation I would be recieving? Is their a web site or somewhere I can go that outlines everything that can be depreciated and everything that can’t?

Thanks again for your responses

Paul [suave2]

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Yes often i find that a pre-approval is a waste of time as if recommend a lender today and in 4 months time the client wishes to proceed the choice of lender may have changed.

To obtain an accurate indication of what you can claim you will need to undertake a Depreciation report on the actual property.

Cheers

Richard Taylor
    Residential & Commercial Finance Broker.
    Licensed Financial Planner.
    Ph: 07 3720 1888
    [email protected]

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of DraconisVDraconisV
    Participant
    @draconisv

So once you get this pre-approval and you go out and buy a house in that pre-approval range then you go back and they give you a loan as they have sorta already approved it.
    Also is pre-approving a loan the best way to finding out your borrowing capacity with what you have??

Thanks,
    Christopher

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Christopher – To find out your borrowing capacity a lender or good broker will be able to do this for you without going all the way with a pre-approval.

Every pre-approval will show as an enquiry record on your CRAA and if you decide to run with another lender when it comes to the purchase could cause you a problem if you have too many.

Cheers

Richard Taylor
    Residential & Commercial Finance Broker.
    Licensed Financial Planner.
    Ph: 07 3720 1888
    [email protected]

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.