All Topics / Help Needed! / Your PPOR: Asset or Liability?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of NateNate
    @nate

Hi all,

I wanted to run something past you that I’ve been thinking about for a few months now. I don’t know how many of you have read the original “Rich Dad, Poor Dad” book, where Robert Kiyosaki’s opinion is that your own principal place of residence is more properly classed as a liability than an asset, since it doesn’t generate passive income (forget about living off equity or hoping for capital gains in this instance).

I live in the northern suburbs of Adelaide, 21km from the GPO. I work right in the CBD. I am paying off a mortgage on my PPOR, which I have held since 1997 and it has more than doubled in value since then, like all Australian capital city property. I would love to live in the inner eastern suburbs somewhere, perhaps Walkerville or St Peters, Parkside etc.

But alas! The very same property boom that has created my equity has also priced the inner suburbs out of my comfortable financial reach if I were to buy a comparably sized house to my PPOR. With my third child on the way, I don’t want to move from a 4 BR plus study home on 780m2 to a 2 BR courtyard home. But I also don’t like spending 90 minutes a day in my car, burning fuel that costs $1.25 + per litre and I only run this second car to get to work in the first place.

A 3 or 4 BR home within 5km of Adelaide’s CBD in the eastern suburbs would cost somewhere in the vicinity of $400-600k, so let’s say an average of $500k. Assuming borrowing of $400k at 7.5%, that’s an interest only cost of $625 p.w. Yikes!

If I lived within say 5 km of the GPO I could easily ride my bicycle, saving all the running costs of a second vehicle. I’ve done the sums, and including lease payments, FBT, insurance, rego, servicing, tyres, fuel I would save around $12,000 p.a.

I could rent a very nice 3 or 4 BR place in one of the above suburbs for around $500 p.w, or less than the cost of my current PPOR mortgage payments plus car expenses. I’d also save money on council and water rates and repairs & maintenance. Plus, if I sold my PPOR, I’d have an instant wad of cash to increase my investment portfolio and further improve the position.

I’d get fit riding to and from work every day, I’d live in a nicer suburb and I’d jumpstart my investments. Sounds too good to be true. And then I’ve also heard that maybe I would even qualify for rent assistance! What am I missing here? Surely this scenario can’t be as good as it seems? I’m 35 and I’ve run this idea past my baby boomer parents, and they are horrified at the thought that I’d even consider giving up my opportunity to one day own my own home outright. But after all, they grew up thinking this was the main goal in life.

Is paying rent every week to a landlord for your PPOR a sound concept, especially if you do also own some investment properties as part of your portfolio? Is it silly to own homes but not live in them?

Is anyone else thinking this way, or better yet, has done this?

Thoughts?

Nate

Profile photo of tony wpbtony wpb
    @tony-wpb

Hi Nate,

you have kids . Dont change your family home for the sake of investing , it should never affect your lifestyle.

The concept of property is all about leverage , use your equity to reinvest. Just buy well.

cheers

Tony

Wholesale Property Brokers
    http://www.wpb.com.au
    Australia*Hong Kong*Singapore*India*Malaysia

Profile photo of Don NicolussiDon Nicolussi
    Participant
    @don
    Is paying rent every week to a landlord for your PPOR a sound concept, especially if you do also own some investment properties as part of your portfolio? Is it silly to own homes but not live in them?

Yes! It is a very sound concept and if the world was full of people renting that treated their home well “as if” their own then their would be alot more happy landlords out there.

But i agree with tony you have to weigh up what is important to your family.

Personally it does not matter to me whether I hold title to the property I live in. It all feels the same now as we own many homes and have lived in rental. I am actually living in a rented house typing this and I have not seen some of the homes I own for a couple of years.

I think that like alot of “material” out there about investing Rich Dad series is great as it introduces alot of new ideas and challenges a few stale concepts.

cheers

I Buy Property http://www.cashflowproperties.co.nz
    Cash Flow Property

Don Nicolussi | Mortgage Broker - Home Loan Warehouse
    http://homeloanwarehouse.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

"I think of finance as a technology, a way of getting things done." Robert Shiller

Profile photo of TimCTimC
    @timc

Hi all

My wife and I rent a modest 3 bed townhouse whilst we own 2 IPs (1 on market at mo). Our idea is that eventually we want to go back to owning/paying off our PPOR but for now we needed as much cash as possible to fulfil our investing goals. So the relatively hefty mortgage payments have been halved by replacing them with rent.

I too read Rich dad poor dad a year or 2 ago and thats pretty much why we decided to go this way.

Cheers

Tim

Profile photo of XeniaXenia
    @xenia

I understand what RK is saying about your PROR being a liability as he defines an asset as something that makes money. Makes alot of sense!

I also like to view your PROP as an asset in because you can access the equity to buy investment properties that make money!!!

There is nothing wrong with renting, many investors do it! The great thing about the Adelaide CBD at the moment is that you can rent a house for alot less than what it would cost in repayments to pay off a mortgage had you purchased the house [biggrin]
    Great for tenants!
    Bad for investors (too negatively geared!!)

all the best Nate [biggrin]

Investment Property Management
    http://www.adprop.com.au

Profile photo of sgibsonsgibson
    @sgibson

Hi Nate,

My wife and I rent, and also have a rental property. We were to some degree forced into the situation due to financial pressures in paying the owner occupier mortgage while living in our “own” house, but it has been a real win for us.

We live in a better house (in a better suburb) than we could afford to buy, plus we have an investment property too. We are on one wage plus Family payments and have a 10 month old baby and the increase Family Payments and Rent Assistance makes it VERY worthwhile to organize yourself this way.

It really frees up some cashflow to be able to invest in managed funds or more property or whatever (i.e. don’t waste the savings!).

But it is not just a financial decision, to be sure, you need to make sure that you’re in the right mindset to be a tenant while owning property.

Well meaning family and friends may tell you that it’s a terrible idea and “rent money s dead money” but their opinions (like mine) are just opinions. You need to get all the relevant info and make your decision.

I personally think it’s a great strategy.

Good Luck!

Steve Gibson
    GIBSON Property

Profile photo of NateNate
    @nate

Hi All,

Thanks for the great replies offering advice. It was particularly good to hear from those of you who have already done this and I now definitely think the idea bears further serious consideration.

Cheers,
    Nate

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing
    I don’t know how many of you have read the original “Rich Dad, Poor Dad” book, where Robert Kiyosaki’s opinion is that your own principal place of residence is more properly classed as a liability than an asset, since it doesn’t generate passive income (forget about living off equity or hoping for capital gains in this instance).

I’m not sure if RK’s thinking applies to OZ as we have different tax systems as well.

Equity in your PPoR could be used to leverage into IP’s as well which can make it into an asset.

In saying that though, your idea has merit as many investors rent and use the additional income free’d up to purchase additional IP’s, some even rent from a structure they may beinvolved in..

The way our system works the best way is to get two similar houses..you buy one and rent to your friend, he buys one and rents to you..

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”

Online Positive Cashflow and Renovating Calculators

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.