All Topics / Help Needed! / Youngin’ Starting out.

Viewing 17 posts - 21 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Profile photo of amywillsamywills
    Participant
    @amywills

Sweet,

I feel you are seriously misinformed.

You say “Furthermore, a fee place is not as bad is made out. In both hecs and fee places ur paying exactly the same amount.”

This is rubbish. A full fee place is always at least 3 times the amount of a HECS place.

Profile photo of DraconisVDraconisV
    Participant
    @draconisv
    This is rubbish. A full fee place is always at least 3 times the amount of a HECS place.

Are you 100% sure on this. If this is true thats crazy.
    So a fee place in commerce at sydney would be 3 years at around 19k, whereas in the HECS one its like just over 6k each year.

Hmm, um this 20% discount that you get for paying upfront. Does this come with hecs or with feepaying, If its with feepaying does that make it seem atleast reasonable.

Profile photo of amywillsamywills
    Participant
    @amywills

No, it’s not crazy, it’s called ‘user pays’ which is how uni (college) is overseas in countries such as the US and Canada, and how Howard wants it to be here.

In HECS places, the government helps you out by paying around two thirds of the full cost of your course. In full fee places, the government gives you nothing, so the full cost is worn by you, hence the term “full fee”

The 20% discount happens when you are in a HECS place, but you pay your fees up front, so you don’t get a loan.

I cannot believe you go to uni and do not know this

AmyWills

Participant
    @draconisv

No, no no no Amy I dont go to uni, I am only in year 12. hmm, I don’t thin this fee paying stuff is good at all.
    Ok, so say i have a 19k bill iwth full fee, but with hecs thats like 6500, then I pay upfront and thats about 5k. So If i put away 100 bucks a week during my uni, I should be able to get rid of the uni fees easily and before I finish. Also I will be getting more pay as i move through uni so I will be able to begin with my saving of deposits.

Participant
    @amywills

Lol!!! [lmao][laughing] No Chris/Drac, that post wasn’t directed at you!!!!

I was replying to Sweet, sorry about the confusion

Participant
    @draconisv

Oh woops. oh well doesnt matter, just a misunderstanding.

lol, it would be funny if i didnt know an i was in uni though.

Participant
    @draconisv
    Originally posted by bravesparrow:

[green]g’day again,
    Did you know that you are eligible to work casually or permanent part-time, or full-time in a government job that pays an entry-level $15ph wage (which increases every year) with double-time on Sundays and time and a half on Saturdays, as well as other penalties and allowances. It is a unionised workforce which will not exploit the fact that you are younger. Also did you know that there is a huge demand for more staff in this growing department, and that you can totally design your shifts around your uni commitments?

Bravesparrow

I have PM’d Bravesparrow but i am not getting a reply. Does anyone know the anymore about what he is talking about?

Christopher.

Participant
    @amywills

No idea what he is talking about. Sounds good – maybe too good to be true – and a little sus. What did he mean by “follow your nose”?? and how come that link didn’t work?

Profile photo of elkamelkam
    @elkam

Hello Guys

I thought you are the generation that can find anything on the net so how come you need help finding this.? [smiling] [rolleyesanim]

I think this is the site Bravesparrow was trying to send you to.

http://www.dadhc.nsw.gov.au/DADHC

I just did a simple search to find this. [wink2]

Hope it helps
    Elka

Profile photo of bravesparrowbravesparrow
    Participant
    @bravesparrow

You guys crack me up! Too good to be true? Are you kidding? $15 per hour? Maybe your sights are set a little low.

My apologies the link did not work, and that I assumed you were clever enough to follow your own investigation.

Anyway good luck and remember “The truth is out there…”

bravesparrow.

Bravesparrow

Profile photo of PEACHYPEACHY
    @peachy

Hey guys…you are funny!

My little contribution Drac would be to seriously consider the advice that DLPP gave earlier on in this thread!! I 130% agree with him!

I am 25 (feeling quite old compared to you guys) & did a uni degree straight after school, because, well, that is what is expected of someone who is supposed to be intelligent, plans to be successful and is doing what their friends are doing, right? Hmm…bad move.

Long story short, I still have a $13000 debt (HECs) for a degree that I have NEVER used. While I was looking for a job in my chosen field I got an “in the meantime job” and things changed! I realised that I hated my chosen field & went on to forge a successful four year career in a totally different industry. Eight months ago I got a new job in another totally different field…again without a relevant degree and it is the best job in the world (I think).

Ok so I know that there are many jobs out there that do not follow this example, where you definitely do need to go to uni first. However I know a number of people who started in the financial/commerce/accounting world straight from school and I swear they have done better than their counterparts who at 21/22/23 are only just leaving uni to go onto $30-35k.

It is not uncommon for these firms to aid or even pay for your uni course, should wish to start one after you are already working for them! Plus you will have had the chance to gain experience in your field of interest so you are totally sure you want to spend the next 3-4 years of your life doing that!

Anyway sorry about the essay…I am just a really passionate supporter of working and life experience, as opposed to going to uni without the full picture!

Whatever you end up doing, keep focused on property and keep saving or spending wisely!!

Good luck
    Peach [biggrin]

Participant
    @amywills

Bravesparrow, actually, no I would not work for less than $20 an hour, which is why I could not be bothered searching for that link, plus I have a great job now anyway and I don’t live in NSW.

Participant
    @bravesparrow

Amy I truly do wish you good luck in whatever you are doing. My aim was to share with Draconis and anyone else interested, a way to earn money that was helpful to other people, where a uni student could arrange their shifts around study time and earn a $40K+ income working part-time as a first year uni student. Just one idea. An opportunity to earn over $30ph on a weekend taking clients to the movies or the beach and assisting disadvantaged people to be more independent, seemed to me to be an OK suggestion, and worth some investigation. It is what I did to pay my way through uni, and I do it full-time now even though it is not the field I studied. And I truly love my job and would probably do it even if I was already rich enough not to work. I earned over 80k last year in wages (lots of over-time), and loved it. But that is just me. I know there are other ways to go that will be better for other people, and I have other goals which will be more fruitful and of more service to the community. The advice from other contributors to this thread has been great.
    Anyway, I am glad you also love your job, and even though you were suspicious of my original advice to Draconis, I trust that you now know I was just trying to be helpful. In truth I will not work the extreme number of hours every week that I have been working in order to make the wages I have been getting, when my investing becomes fruitful enough. But in the mean-time, I enjoy helping people and getting paid well to do it.
    Having said all that, Amy please share with us what sort of job you would most enjoy doing, and how close is the one you do now to meeting that criteria?
    I am truly sorry that I reacted badly to your earlier post and hope we can let go of our need to be right, and share a little bit about our lives in a non-argumentative way. At the end of the day, that is the best gift you can give anyone, because it is yours.
    Regards,

Bravesparrow

Participant
    @amywills

Yeah I can see where you are coming from now. That’s great for you. Personally, I am not caring enough to do a job like that. I’m selfish, impatient, I laugh at people who get ripped off by conmen and I will always choose lifestyle over money which is why I left my last job. I would never work extreme hours or really go out of my way to help anyone, even if I was getting paid to do it. That is the harsh truth.

AmyWills

Participant
    @bravesparrow

Good on you Amy, it is all about expressing yourself, and knowing who you are. What was the job you needed to leave because it was too restrictive to your lifestyle goals? I am really interested, because that is the type of caring guy i am!! LOL.

Bravesparrow

Profile photo of KuadeKuade
    @kuade

Uni isn’t the be all and end all. Depending on what you study your degree doesn’t have to be what you do for the rest of your life. Don’t choose a degree because you think it will make you the most money, or because it sounds the most impressive, or because its what your parents want as you’ll end up hopping from one degree to another or never finish. Think about what you like and what interests you and head that way. A business degree or commerce is quite good as it will give you a taste of different things and you can explore further through choosing different subjects.

I did an IT degree and majored in artificial intelligence, I’m now in Corporate Sales for a large Telco. Uni gave me good foundations in learning how to learn, be disciplined, manage my time, write and research etc. Plus learn related IT info. But I’m not a programmer or typical IT person as I like dealing with people more than with computers. The same concept works for Business Degrees, Commerce etc. Don’t see it as putting yourself into a little box. Use it as a base and diversify into areas that interest you the most. A degree is worth doing as it seen as an achievement by employers. I have no doubt mine has been a large part of getting me where I am. But at the same time, uni isn’t the only option.

As far as paying goes. Unless you’ve got it easy and have more money than you know what to do with, use HECS, don’t pay up-front. Theres no point scratching together the money when you can pay it off as you go, when you’re earning more money.

Profile photo of scoonanscoonan
    @scoonan

I have worked in the industry for a while and my suggestion to you is go and see a mortgage broker. If you see a good one, they will take you seriously and, if you are not yet in a position where you can buy, they will help you to get where you need to be. (I reccommend The Loan Market)

From what you have said, there are borrowing options available to you, but they will involve using your parents as guarantors. And do go to open homes, who cares if they take you seriously or not? They are more likely to let you have a good look around the place if they are not trying to hard sell!

Good luck!

Viewing 17 posts - 21 through 37 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.