All Topics / Opinionated! / Centerlink

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Profile photo of mathewc73mathewc73
    Participant
    @mathewc73

Hi all,
    Im guessing most of the experienced guys already know this, but I have just gone through this process myself and thought it was worth sharing…

I had a tenant who fell behind on rent. Took them to the tribunal and an agreement was put in place for them to pay back the arrears.

They fell short again and so, having bad tenants in the past, decided to get the order to evict.

Got the order and at the 11th hour the tenant has agreed to pay. Normally I would say no, but the tenant has agreed that Centerlink will pay the rent FIRST and the tenant gets whats left.

This tenant keeps the place in good order so we then agreed that if they pay back the arrears (which they did) and agree for Centerlink to pay first (which they also did) then they can stay.

So I guess if you find out you have a tenant who is depending on the govt, you could reduce your risk to have the govt pay you first.

Mat

Profile photo of snowkiwisnowkiwi
    Participant
    @snowkiwi

Hi Mat,

This is what the NZ government opted to do with all their beneficiaries a few years back. Now beneficiaries are almost “in demand” tenants, ’cause you’re rent is government guaranteed – well until they get a job, anyway.

good thinking getting this to work with Centrelink.

Craig.

100% of the shots I don’t make don’t go in – Wayne Gretzky

Profile photo of lifeXlifeX
    @lifex

Centrelink are notorious for missing/losing payments, and the Tenant can cancel the payment at any time without informing you.

You must still keep a close eye on the payments, not a set and forget strategy by any means.

I have used the centrepay system, it is ok for the most part.

Live, Learn and Grow

Lifexperience

Profile photo of TimCTimC
    @timc

we had a tenant once whose rent came straight out of his centrelink pay….altho we never had any dramas with him and paying rent, from talking to our property manager it isnt as good as it sounds as the tenant can just call centrelink and cancel the direct debit (as mentioned in above post) without telling anyone…kind of takes the point away from it really if they can just do that.

Cheers

Tim

Profile photo of mathewc73mathewc73
    Participant
    @mathewc73

Hi Tim,
    Ill have to follow that up. My PM informed me she also must sign something and this means that the payments cannot be cancelled without her permission as well.

Mat

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

Another thing to consider with centrelink payments is that if the tenant owes money for Tax, Child maintenance or over payment of centrelink payments or two identities or a defacto discovery the money could be taken out of the centrelink payments. This may mean your centrelink payment doesn’t cover the rent.

Profile photo of DraconisVDraconisV
    Participant
    @draconisv
    Originally posted by TimC:

we had a tenant once whose rent came straight out of his centrelink pay….altho we never had any dramas with him and paying rent, from talking to our property manager it isnt as good as it sounds as the tenant can just call centrelink and cancel the direct debit (as mentioned in above post) without telling anyone…kind of takes the point away from it really if they can just do that.

Well, you could say to the tenant that if this ever happen and you find out that they are gone. Evicted, Bam.. You gotta be strict with people these days. Strict though still reasonably fair.
    The deal broken by them, so you now break the deal of keeping them as tenants.

Christopher.

Profile photo of PurpleKissPurpleKiss
    Participant
    @purplekiss

It’s called Centrepay and the tenant can cancel the authoristion for funds to be deducted at any time or if their payment is less than the rent then you will only get what is there ie: if they do some casual work and their Centrelink payment drops to say $100 on the fortnight that your $300 rent was supposed to be dedcuted then you will only get $100 and you will still need to chase them for the shortfall.

We know that the tenant can definitely cancel the authorisation they put in place anytime they like as our tenant did. The only way they wouldn’t be able to is if you got it as part of the court order.

Having said that for many tenants who really do want to pay the rent but are just bad at budgeting this works as the rent is paid first and they are happy that that happens and won’t cancel the deductions from their pension. However there’s also bad tenants who just drag out the time they stay in your house for little or no rent then they’ll use this as a ruse to prolong the agony by letting the rent come out the first one or two times then they’ll cancel or change the amount authorised to be deducted so that you don’t get rent and then you need to start the eviction caper all over again.

Also, a fee of $1.01 is taken out of each lot of rent money sent to you, this is Centrepays charge for doing this (they say 99 cents, but once GST is added, it’s $1.01). It clearly states in the Centrepay agreement that you cannot pass this charge onto the tenant, it’s something you need to absorb, however, it’s small bikkies if it means that the rent does actually come through on time.

So yes, this is a good thing, but you do also need to be aware of the pitfalls and if a problem with rent occurrs even with this in place then get them out pronto!

Regards
    PK

Participant
    @mathewc73

Thanks for the post purplekiss.

Well I posted this thread at end of May its now mid Sept and I have had not problems with arrears. So yes it appears to work for those who cannot budget properly.

Mat

Profile photo of RiskyRisky
    @risky

Like it was said earlier its not a set and forget, i also had a tennant paying the rent through centrelink payments but then he informed centrelink he didnt want to pay the rent out of his centrelink payment anymore so they cancelled it and they dont even bother to let you the landlord know. As i had 6 properties on the go at the same time it was 2 months later that i realized the payments had stopped, so i rang up centrelink and they were like oh he cancelled that months ago. I know i know i should have kept a closer eye on it but when its government i thought since i was getting paid first and the tennant second it was pretty safe. Live and learn.
    Hopefully your tennant will keep up there payments for you ,but check your account every month for when that check should go in.

Cheers
    Risky

http://www.goneshoppingsites.com

Free Internet Marketing Courses
    http://www.freeinternetmarketingcourses.com/go.php?offer=vendking&pid=1

Profile photo of fbd1fbd1
    @fbd1

Yes I found out about the $1.01 per week fee centrelink charges…they charged me not the tenant. The tenant has to come into the office each 10 weeks & pay the shortfall of $10.10. It has only been 4 weeks so we will see if this actually happens.

I don’t see how centrelink can say that it isn’t the responsibility of the tenant to pay this shortfall – given that if anyone pays direct debits to other accounts it is charged to the person doing the transaction not the one receiving the money…

Will keep you posted…after the 10 weeks.
    Cheers [blink]Dianne

Profile photo of DaedalusDaedalus
    @daedalus

From the above posts, it seems that a landlord can set up as a CentrePay "Participant" i.e. you don't need to go through a property manager?

I've been trying to get one of my tenants onto CentrePay via the property manager, but the PM has been pretty slack about ensuring the paperwork is done. I'm thinking of just sacking the PM and setting up the CentrePay thing directly.

Any thoughts?

Daedalus.

Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2
    fbd1 wrote:
    Yes I found out about the $1.01 per week fee Centrelink charges…they charged me not the tenant. The tenant has to come into the office each 10 weeks & pay the shortfall of $10.10. It has only been 4 weeks so we will see if this actually happens.

That's disgusting that you turn around and bill the person on Centerlink that. How petty! Especially when they are legally entitled not to!

Participant
    @mathewc73

Hi all,
    I must say I still have the same tenant (must be about 18 months now) and not one problem (I may be just lucky).  We have also increased the rent. 

I have a very good PM and I dont see the $1 charge.  I dont see anything other than my monthly statement and Qty inspection report.  Im guessing my PM is absorbing the $1.

So for me it works. 

Mat

michaela_alvares5728
    Participant
    @michaela_alvares5728

I too have a tenant who moved in 3 mths ago and does not pay on the regular day.  I have registed with Centrelink as a provider of housing for its clients and i have been given a form for the tenant and myself to fill in sign and return to them.  Once this is done it is expected the rent will go into my account once a fortnight.  I am aware the tenant can cancel this arrangement at any time so I need to keep checking the account online or by any other means to make sure the correct amount has been credited to my account.  The tenant is aware that i am happy for her to continue living in my property as long as the place is not being damaged and the rent is paid on time.  Hopefully she is just bad at budgeting and this will work out fine.  Only time will tell.

Profile photo of MillyMilly
    @milly

Jaffasoft, that's a pretty ordinary attitude. This centrepay system is a LAST resort. If rent on my property is $200/wk then I want and should get $200. The excuses Ive heard "oh cant pay this  week cos the car broke down"" Theyre on the dole ffs, get a bike. "Can't pay this week cos teh dog has vet bills".  er so you can afford a dog but cant afford to pay for the roof over your head.

We have the lowest unemployment stats in years so frankly those who don't work dont want to. I knocked on the door at half past noon the other day and he had to get dressed as he was still in bed. Ive offered him painting work at my own home…….doesnt turn up.
    a read on the thread "my worst property experience' will probably explain my heated response.

Profile photo of trakkatrakka
    @trakka

I'm with Jaffasoft insofar as I wouldn't bother trying to retrieve my $1, but I certainly wouldn't use the word "disgusting" to describe those who view things differently.  On principle, I would collect, I just can't be bothered with $1. If it were $10, I'd be more inclined to add $10 to the rent to compensate rather than chase it separately.

I think it's important to keep perspective; so many investors seem to be "penny wise and pound foolish". If we paid as much attention to structuring, having the right insurance, and purchasing the right property, then these issues (hopefully) wouldn't be deemed worth our attention. And I get that it's not "either/or", that you can do those big things properly and also get your $1, but it's about mindset. I don't want to exert any of my effort on trivia; I want to keep my eye on the big picture.

Kind of like how I don't believe in being frugal with small stuff – the mental effort/discipline required to save a few bucks on groceries or petrol could be far more profitably spent elsewhere, negating the need to be frugal with these items. (And yes, of course it's different if I actually didn't have enough money to pay for the groceries, but those in that situation presumably aren't on a property investing forum!)

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates
    Milly wrote:
    "Can't pay this week cos teh dog has vet bills".  er so you can afford a dog but cant afford to pay for the roof over your head.

Can you still get "companion animals allowance" when you are on benefits?

Participant
    @mathewc73

It all comes down to risk management.  A tenent who has trouble paying rent can set off the alarm bells, however a good person may not be good with money. 

How many people do you know are on over $100k with massive credit bills and still live at home or share accomodation?  How many people do you know in their 30s and have less then $10k in savings?

Why pick on someone barely scraping in $20kpa and yet can must pay all the bills, food, etc, etc. 

If they are a good person AND if you can control the risk of not receiving your rent, why would you not put them in? 

I would make a point, all those who have rented from me and trashed my places and not paid me rent are bad people.  All can afford to pay and all have the capability to look after the place.  Sadly they chose not too (bad screening and valuable lessons learned from me).

Profile photo of Faulty by natureFaulty by nature
    @faulty-by-nature

if you are looking for a safe rental income then i would have to recommend the group that rents my property, Homes North. they are a goverment funded, non-profit group that rent to non-rentables, meaning people that have either not paid rent or have damaged there other properties and no one will rent to them any more. sounds pretty scary i know but when you get paid your rent one month in advance on the first of every month whether some one is living in the house or not, as well as any and all damages done to the property (out side of general wear and tear) are covered as well, it makes for a fantasic IP. oh and they also work as a PM for the siimple fact is that you don't need one, they will get quotes for any maintence then pay for it up front and take it out of the monthly rent.

you will not be buying great properties but the rent is higher due to the type of tenent,, and have found it to be a great starting place for new investors,, or people who see a reno or development site in a few years time and just want to hold the property hassle free for a few years.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.