All Topics / Help Needed! / Who gets & pays for what in a long term s/ment?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of HappyHomesHappyHomes
    Participant
    @impatient

I have just sold a place on a long term s/ment, with the new purchaser moving in under a “licence agreement”, where by he has to pay all outgoing costs plus licence fee every week (note: this is NOT rent).
    My 2 burning qu’s are:
    A) How will this affect insurance? Who is responsible if something goes wrong? And who pays the insurance?
    B) Do I still get to utilise equity & depreciation over that term?
    Thanks in advance

HappyHomes | HappyHomes
    Email Me

Profile photo of MerrianneMerrianne
    Participant
    @merrianne

generally the entity who owns the building is responsible to take out the insurance. the entity leasing the building is responsible to insure their business. In a commercial situation the entity renting the building may the obliged to pay the premium it all depends in what is written in the lease

Merrianne Black
    Authorised Representative
    Suncorp Insurance

Profile photo of mathewc73mathewc73
    Participant
    @mathewc73

In the license I have setup (for access to part of a building) the insurance must be taken out by the licensee (incase they cause damage or injury). But I still have overall building insurance becuase its not worth loosing $100,000s of dollars in a dispute if it ever came up.

I agree you should take out building insurance (if its not clear in the license).

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

You should both probably have insurance. Who owns the building? You do still as you have your name on title, but the other party has purchased it from you, so they have equitable interest. They would want to protect their asset and you your asset. Not worth worried about a few hundered $$$ – if that.

Can you use the equity? Probably yes, but you will be discharging the mortgage on the property at settlement, so you won’t have much time!

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Parramatta
    [email protected]
    Just send me a blank email, with “subscribe” in subject line.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.